Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 midg234

I was on the Lego website last night and I came across the Marvel Superhero sets.

The Helicarrier looks amazing - 76042 - over €300 for in price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Know it's probably old news now, but the 10 year anniversary modular set, Assembly Square is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Star Lord wrote: »
    Know it's probably old news now, but the 10 year anniversary modular set, Assembly Square is gorgeous!

Really want to get this one soon but have to hold off as we just built the Modular town hall and just dont have the room for another one at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭halloweenboy

Built the UCS Slave 1, Krennic's Imperial Shuttle, the Imperial Hovertank and the new AT-ST in the last month.

The slave 1 is absolutely stellar. If you've been thinking about buying it just get one. Definitely worth it.

The Rogue One sets are pretty nice as well, Krennic's shuttle in particular. All good value for money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have had the Slave 1 sat in a box for ages now, but not got round to opening it up. Will pick up the AT-ST at some point but only built the Hovertank so far, after picking it up at a tenner off due to potential shelf miss pricing incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Built the UCS Slave 1, Krennic's Imperial Shuttle, the Imperial Hovertank and the new AT-ST in the last month.

The slave 1 is absolutely stellar. If you've been thinking about buying it just get one. Definitely worth it.

The Rogue One sets are pretty nice as well, Krennic's shuttle in particular. All good value for money.

The Slave 1 was one of my favourite builds, great set. Looks amazing when on display as well

robinph wrote: »
    Have had the Slave 1 sat in a box for ages now, but not got round to opening it up. Will pick up the AT-ST at some point but only built the Hovertank so far, after picking it up at a tenner off due to potential shelf miss pricing incident.

Got mine in Debenhams for 35 euro. I don't think it was a sale either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had a good Christmas lego wise... On top of the Train I got Wall-E, The Yellow Submarine and the new Beetle. :)

Wall-E is one of the most beautiful builds I've ever seen, it's amazingly expressive for a relatively small collection of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sleepy wrote: »
    Had a good Christmas lego wise... On top of the Train I got Wall-E, The Yellow Submarine and the new Beetle. :)

Wall-E is one of the most beautiful builds I've ever seen, it's amazingly expressive for a relatively small collection of bricks.

Love my Wall-E. He sits on my desk and love when the light shines off the dull black eyes, he looks like he's looking at you.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Unboxed my Black Friday bargain on the VW Camper Van over xmas and really enjoyed the build. First creator set as I'm only back to LEGO now since my childhood. Just love the attention to detail. I was mainly a technic fan so have the Porsche and Arocs Truck hidden away waiting to be built. Along with a few SW sets, Sandcrawler being the biggest of them.

+1 on the Wall-E. Have had it on display for since Xmas 2015 and its a beautiful little model.

My other build over xmas was JK's Sysiphus Kenitic Sculture (http://jkbrickworks.com/sisyphus-kinetic-sculpture/) which is pretty awesome.

I was sitting on the fence about Slave 1 but I may just cash in some VIP points and bag it next month.

This year will be a cool one for LEGO again.. LEGO Batman movie, 40th Anniversary SW, 40th Anniversay of Technic... I need to be selective with purchases or I'll be lynched!!

Happy New Year all and happy building!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Got a good bit of Lego as Xmas presents. I'm pretty happy. :) got the Lego City explorer ship and the Lego Creator camper van 3 in 1 sets. Have 2/3 built the former and will build the latter at the weekend. Also plan to treat myself to a recent Architecture set.

The only problem is finding space to put these!

How do the VIP points work on the Lego store?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

midg234 wrote: »
    How do the VIP points work on the Lego store?

You receive 1 point for every euro spent, every 100 points is worth 5 euro credit. You can keep them for two years. Just apply them at checkout.

You receive 1 point for every euro spent, every 100 points is worth 5 euro credit. You can keep them for two years. Just apply them at checkout.

Thanks mate - just did it there - now all I have to do is find something to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Do they let you know when your points are close to expiring? Have 30 quids worth and I think some of the points are well over the year now, must be getting on for 2.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Do they let you know when your points are close to expiring? Have 30 quids worth and I think some of the points are well over the year now, must be getting on for 2.

They send you an email well in advance. Speaking of spent points. Assembly Square just arrived. Box is a lot larger than I expected. Almost as big as Ghostbusters Firestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

They send you an email well in advance. Speaking of spent points. Assembly Square just arrived. Box is a lot larger than I expected. Almost as big as Ghostbusters Firestation.

I am very tempted to order the assembly square. I stayed away from the reviews so far but I am sure that they are positive.

Got my pirate chess set delivered today and looking forward to incorporating the parts in my pirate sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Hi Everyone, I decided not to create a new thread just in case this has been posted before and I just cant find it, anyway, does anyone know if there is somewhere I would be able to send a picture, they print it onto lego and its basically a lego jigsaw for the recipient?

Only thing i've been able to find online is sites that convert your picture into lego blocks so you can make it yourself.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hi Everyone, I decided not to create a new thread just in case this has been posted before and I just cant find it, anyway, does anyone know if there is somewhere I would be able to send a picture, they print it onto lego and its basically a lego jigsaw for the recipient?

Only thing i've been able to find online is sites that convert your picture into lego blocks so you can make it yourself.

Thanks in advance!

There is the mosaic maker photo booth at the new London Lego store:

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/introducing-the-lego-mosaic-maker/

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thanks in advance!

Something like this maybe? You'd have to go to London to get it though... http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/introducing-the-lego-mosaic-maker/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

I've found over the years that buying through the Lego store is not worth it for the VIP points, the discount is only 5%. What I've moved to is tracking the sets on Amazon, and using a price tracker like Keepa or the Brickset Amazon Tracker - you might have to wait a while to get the discount you want, but it's worth it over a year.

That said, sometimes there are exclusive to Lego Shop only sets, that you have to buy direct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

robinph wrote: »
    There is the mosaic maker photo booth at the new London Lego store:

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/introducing-the-lego-mosaic-maker/
    Spocker wrote: »
    Something like this maybe? You'd have to go to London to get it though... http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/introducing-the-lego-mosaic-maker/

Kinda what I want but not really. May have to go to somewhere like http://photobrix.com/pictures/create/ or http://me.brickapic.com to get the picture and the bricks required to get what i want.

Oh well. Thanks!

I've found over the years that buying through the Lego store is not worth it for the VIP points, the discount is only 5%. What I've moved to is tracking the sets on Amazon, and using a price tracker like Keepa or the Brickset Amazon Tracker - you might have to wait a while to get the discount you want, but it's worth it over a year.

That said, sometimes there are exclusive to Lego Shop only sets, that you have to buy direct

I agree. Case in point is the Technic 911, which dropped in price almost immediately everywhere and remains at the (optimistic) original 300 euro on S@H. I picked up the Claas for 80 odd euro from Amazon the week it was released. But as you say, it's well worth it if you're buying exclusives (especially with double points) such as the modulars. I've redeemed at least 200 euro in the past four years. The most recent being the Ferris Wheel for 30 euro with points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Kinda what I want but not really. May have to go to somewhere like http://photobrix.com/pictures/create/ or http://me.brickapic.com to get the picture and the bricks required to get what i want.

Oh well. Thanks!
    I've been looking into doing something like this for a while. I want to do a lego mosaic of Van Gogh's "Café Terrace at Night" but it's looking like it'll be insanely expensive :(

I agree to a point. My buys are 50% Amazon, 30% LEGO and the rest shop deals.

Amazon is great but you have to track it and order quickly when you see the discount you like. They go fast. I got the 911 there for 203 delivered a few months back.

However smart usage of VIP points and buying rrp sets during VIPX2 gets you good deals. I generally have a balance of €20-40 worth of points.

Black Friday was great 20% netted me TB for 203 and VM Van for 59 )lobbed 400 VIP in to sweeten it)

I don't have time to be all over Amazon but do track sets through the wishlist. I've learned hard lessons never to buy RRP (Unless its a set you really want now and don't care or are confident of xxx rrp investments etc). Generally I score anything from 10%-29%. Suppose I could do better if I was more vigilant but still just not paying rrp is fun.

Big exceptions were GBHQ which I went full whack on LEGO for and I want the Death Star but cannot punt on it.

Are UCS sets ever discounted?!

Opened up YouTube this morning and saw Brickvault's coverage of a rumoured UCS Millennium Falcon set.

Yeah. Not the 2009 one. A 2017 one that is coming "sooner than we think".

As a Star Wars fan who missed out on the first one, I will sell what sets I need to sell to get this. ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Are UCS sets ever discounted?!

Yeah they gets discontinued after a few years. The number of years changes. The last death star 10188 was available for almost 10 years. Others will be discontinued Sooners, I think the last x-wing was only available for about 3 years or so.

Ewok village and sandcrawler (I think) are the next to be retired, if they havent already been.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Opened up YouTube this morning and saw Brickvault's coverage of a rumoured UCS Millennium Falcon set.

Yeah. Not the 2009 one. A 2017 one that is coming "sooner than we think".

As a Star Wars fan who missed out on the first one, I will sell what sets I need to sell to get this. ðŸ˜႒

So, I've asked this before, but since it seems on again... who wants to guess the price of this.

Current Death Star is $500 (dollars because I'm lazy) for 4016 pieces. The 2008 version was $400 for 3803. MF was $500 for 5197 in 2007.

I've bored everyone here about Lego new found fondness for extremely expensive sets, but I really think there's potential there for a $600 set.

edit: On discounted UCS sets. The original UCS MF had large discounts to clear out stock. People weren't prepared to pay the money back then. How times (quickly) changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Falcon rumour has been (not so) cryptically confirmed by a very reliable ITK in the LEGO community - it's as good as happening :D :eek:

• Advertisement

How fast will it be sold out? It may be a €600 set but I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes. I can't see LEGO venturing too far off 0.10 - 0.13 ppp range for event this most anticipated of sets. If its 600 then I'd expect it to be at least 5,000 pieces or similar size to 10179. I do hope the don't just rehash it and rather use all the new colours, building techniques and minifigs available. They won't not do minifigs, but which ones will they go with? If its true there is and interchangeable radar to simulate E4-6 or 7, then will the set al have the cast of both?

I've watched the last few UCS sets (outside playsets) but I must be missing discounts. Generally wouldn't expect LEGO to discount exclusives , although they put Tower Bridge on Cyber Monday 20% off which was nice. Have you mainly got discounted UCS through retail? I see Smyths has listed the Death Star now so potential there to wait until next Christmas like the Porsche 911?

Advertisement