Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Buy a large bottle of acetone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sleepy wrote: »

And a gasmask.

Jaysus that would be some task. It's a huge set.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've looked up using that and other methods, apparently acetone will melt the lego.
    I don't think it's worth the effort.

IF someone's willing to give it a go, I'd be curious to see a log of the work. Even if you lost about 20% of the bricks, it could prove a cheap way to pick up new lego....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

If you could dilute the acetone and have a small bath of something to kill the effect after each brick is removed (distilled water?), you might preserve more bricks.

I know the glue they use in Lego venues actually fuses the bricks together (Butanone, I think) so if it's been glued that way, you'd be out of luck. Normal super glue should be grand.

• Advertisement

Ill try a section that broke off with the acetone and report back.

Okay, the diluted acetone worked.

Bricks come apart with some effort.
    Slight discolouration and residue of glue.
    To take apart 4 pieces took nearly five minutes as you need to apply pressure, too much and the delicate parts snap.

I'm not sure if it's simply an acetone based product (and I assume enough of it to do your project wouldn't be cost effective) but I did spot this up in B&Q yesterday:

http://www.loctite-consumer.co.uk/en/products/glue-remover.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Two pretty reliable ITKs have said that it's happening - there seems to be a lot more substance to these rumours than previous years'. I think it's happening, and it will fill the Autumn UCS slot.

Just saw the old reliables are saying the MF will be October and $600.

May get saving so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Just saw the old reliables are saying the MF will be October and $600.

Worth every penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

There were rumours of three UCS sets this year, if there is a Falcon at €600 and the snowspeeder at €200, it will be an expensive year for UCS collectors.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

There were rumours of three UCS sets this year, if there is a Falcon at €600 and the snowspeeder at €200, it will be an expensive year for UCS collectors.

With Lego, every year is an expensive one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Yeah I guess relative is key, although given how poor this year's Technic summer sets are I should save a few quid not buying them which will go towards the UCS sets.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Yeah I guess relative is key, although given how poor this year's Technic summer sets are I should save a few quid not buying them which will go towards the UCS sets.

First year since I came out of my dark ages that I haven't bought any technic. No real interest in most of the new creator line either. I'd usually pick the houses, but they've completely regressed in my opinion. My only purchase so far has been the new modular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Apologies if it's been asked before, but on the Lego website, can VIP points be used to pay for postage, or items only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Virtanen wrote: »
    Apologies if it's been asked before, but on the Lego website, can VIP points be used to pay for postage, or items only?

No, VIP points are for shop items only I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Anyone tempted by the new ultimate batmobile in june?

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/02/10/lego-reveals-enormous-ultimate-batmobile-set-coming-june-news/

I think it looks interesting, will check reviews but probably will get it.

It's a bit naff looking tbh. My eldest has the tumbler set and it blows that away in terms of being a statement piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

It's a bit naff looking tbh. My eldest has the tumbler set and it blows that away in terms of being a statement piece.
    I'm with you on this, looks a bit rough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks like a black redesign of this :

1566326-o_18vt35q8u1mg6ho9ej1u8pan61k-full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So a circa ?800 price tag for the new MF? It would be TLGs biggest price tag for a set by a distance. The 75179 Death Star has over 4,000 pieces and 25 minifigs covering various episodes and that was a serious price of ?500. I still haven't bought it as I have a feeling I'll get it at 20% off if I wait.

So if a new MF is close to 10179 with 5,000 pieces or so and a bit of interior sections and a few updated or new minifigs I still can't justify ?800 or see how LEGO can. Of course they know AFOLs will pay for it but there is already a bit of bad taste with parents on the latest inflation of set prices. Imagine your kid pointing to the ?800 set on the top shelf (and probably built and displayed in a glass case) and saying I want Santa to get THAT for me this Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

So a circa ?800 price tag for the new MF? It would be TLGs biggest price tag for a set by a distance. The 75179 Death Star has over 4,000 pieces and 25 minifigs covering various episodes and that was a serious price of ?500. I still haven't bought it as I have a feeling I'll get it at 20% off if I wait.

So if a new MF is close to 10179 with 5,000 pieces or so and a bit of interior sections and a few updated or new minifigs I still can't justify ?800 or see how LEGO can. Of course they know AFOLs will pay for it but there is already a bit of bad taste with parents on the latest inflation of set prices. Imagine your kid pointing to the ?800 set on the top shelf (and probably built and displayed in a glass case) and saying I want Santa to get THAT for me this Christmas!

Hopefully Smyths gets it in and then wait for their 20% off sale next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Rael wrote: »
    Hopefully Smyths gets it in and then wait for their 20% off sale next September.

Yeah that's my tactic with the death star too. 20% off the big sets is a nice chunk and Smyths aren't afraid of discounting big stuff (42056 for example) although The Hoth, Slave 1, Ewok UCS have all been on the top shelf for ages with no discount

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was in London for the marathon at the weekend so managed to fit in a quick diversion to the new Lego Store. Had only been to the one in Cardiff before, but the size of just the till area in the London store was nearly as big as the Cardiff one. Still had to queue to get in, although that only took a few minutes. The mosaic photo booth thing was all booked out, not sure how early in the day you'd need to get there to make use of that. Was good to see some of the big models in the shop and they had plenty of play areas where you could leave the kids for a few minutes entertaining themselves.

There was a big pick a brick wall, but they were out of parts for the mini build set and nobody seemed to be making use of the pick a brick for other stuff. Loads of people were on the build your own 3 minifigure section though. I guess if you wanted to stuff things into a pick a brick pot you'd go along at a quieter time when you could concentrate on your packing efficiently without a million kids running around you.

Managed to pick up a few sets that I could just about squeeze into my luggage, got triple points, the mini VW Beetle model was still on offer for spending over ?35 and got another free polybag of a police car as well.

That price is a nice surprise. I though I was out, but this and the Grand Carousel are must haves for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Carousel is a definite purchase, first one since Assembley square, not too interested in the snowspeeder, but this (saturn) is definitely also on the to buy list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Snowspeeder is live on the store now.

https://shop.lego.com/en-IE/Snowspeeder-75144

The girlfriend has said she'll get it for my 30th because I couldn't decide on anything else :pac:

Advertisement