Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow Bugatti Chiron awesome. There may be classics if this UCS technic line gathers momentum. At over 3600+ parts and even at 1:8 scale (same as the porsche) I wonder if it has some system build to get those curvy shapes?

What also caught my eye is that the crane will have 4047 parts surpassing the BWE as biggest technic set for parts count

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Lego are taking the piss a little with the Chiron price, €300 for the Porsche was bad enough but this is going to be €370... It'll be interesting to see how they handle the curves of the car.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Lego are taking the piss a little with the Chiron price, €300 for the Porsche was bad enough but this is going to be €370... It'll be interesting to see how they handle the curves of the car.

The Porsche is a strange one as it's consistently 299 from Lego direct but way cheaper elsewhere (Smyth's, Argos, Littlewoods etc)

Fanny **** wrote: »
    The Porsche is a strange one as it's consistently 299 from Lego direct but way cheaper elsewhere (Smyth's, Argos, Littlewoods etc)

Yep I got one form Amazon delivered for €205 over a year ago, granted they owed me a €20 voucher so really it was €225.. still well below [EMAIL="S@H"]S@H[/EMAIL] 299.

Keep an eye on it over the next few months. As the Chiron becomes more real, there will be some dumping and I wouldn't be surprised to see 30%+ off RRP.

Same trend with the Chiron. Initial buzz at RRP and within a few months you will see 10-20% off. If you can, wait.

After no technic sets last year (made up for it catching up with Modulars and 75192) I've limited myself to 2x Technic sets this year. The Mack Anthem is the front runner already but with the Chiron and Crane to come, I'll wait. Then maybe wait some more for the 20% off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I wonder will the retire the Porsche when they bring out the Chrion, having two Technic supercars on the market at the same time could limit sales for both. but year I wouldn't expect to pay full price for the Chiron, but even with 30% off it would still be €240 which is still high.

And I agree having bought no Technic sets last year this year is looking like it will be expensive, I'll want the Mack and rally car, I would imagine the Chiron unless it's awful and a few of the the summer sets based on the leaked images.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I wonder will the retire the Porsche when they bring out the Chrion, having two Technic supercars on the market at the same time could limit sales for both. but year I wouldn't expect to pay full price for the Chiron, but even with 30% off it would still be €240 which is still high.

And I agree having bought no Technic sets last year this year is looking like it will be expensive, I'll want the Mack and rally car, I would imagine the Chiron unless it's awful and a few of the the summer sets based on the leaked images.

Can't see them keeping both. You'd have to think that whatever is manufactured is it. Then again, they've both VAG brands, so they probably don't have that corporate pulling for attention going on behind the scenes.

Bought the Mack truck from the official site in order to get the 60th set. It's looks great, but I'm still not sure on how I feel about the direction Technic is heading. It's seems to be heading towards a Model Team/Technic hybrid now for the expensive sets, where looks seem to matter more than function.

Still, the mack truck looks like a great lego set and I've some hope for the line after last years piss-poor 40th effort. It was the first year since coming out of my dark ages that I didn't buy a single set from the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

for those who wonder about if the mini barracuda fit into the ship in the bottle set (that is the main reason i want that set, for my work desk)
    lego-ideas-schiff-in-der-flasche-21313-barracuda-60-jahre-lego-stein-40290-bestandteile-2018-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got some new display shelves in IKEA over the weekend so, for the first time in approximately 20 years, I put together my first truly display-worthy set: Model Team 5580 Highway Rig! This set was my "white whale" as a kid. Build time was about 6 hours due to having to find the pieces amongst two big boxes of my childhood lego.

440376.jpg

Some of the white bricks have yellowed pretty badly from being on display on the windowsill of my bedroom as a teenager. Planning to dissasemble it again over the next few weeks and try the retr0brite method (hydrogen peroxide and Vanish Oxi-Action) to restore the whiteness:

440377.jpg

Saw the London bus in Smyth's this evening

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-creator/lego-10258-creator-expert-london-bus/p/164491

Didn't know bricks and mortar shops had it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Loving the 60th anniversary set, but don't think I'll be making a €125 purchase while the promotion is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Loving the 60th anniversary set, but don't think I'll be making a €125 purchase while the promotion is on.

Bricklinking the parts is cheap enough, I've done so for the Castle and Pirate Ship sets and they look great :)

I don't think I'll be buying anything until the Summer so it was the only way I'd get to enjoy those mini sets.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Bricklinking the parts is cheap enough, I've done so for the Castle and Pirate Ship sets and they look great :)

I don't think I'll be buying anything until the Summer so it was the only way I'd get to enjoy those mini sets.

Normally I'd be on for that, but given the context of the set it's something I'd feel the need to have the box and instructions for. Also, is the '60' brick available on BL?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Normally I'd be on for that, but given the context of the set it's something I'd feel the need to have the box and instructions for. Also, is the '60' brick available on BL?

True. I felt the same until I saw my wallet :)

The '60' Brick should be available now, if not, it's in a few other cheap sets as well eg. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-classic/lego-10401-classic-rainbow-fun/p/163863

Good to know, if I don't manage to snag one I might follow suit!

Harry Potter is back! And the pin holes suggest linking up sets (including a D2C maybe!)
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/02/16/lego-harry-potter-returns-75954-hogwarts-great-hall-news/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

The Hulkbuster: Ultron edition looks like nice display set. But the price...

http://lego.build/HulkBusterAnnouncement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Greg81 wrote: »
    The Hulkbuster: Ultron edition looks like nice display set. But the price...

http://lego.build/HulkBusterAnnouncement

Holy Moly was not expecting that price. Need the minifig just for my collection. No way would I pay that for the set tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

madalig12 wrote: »
    Holy Moly was not expecting that price. Need the minifig just for my collection. No way would I pay that for the set tho.

Same. Was very tempted for it but that price aha...i was thinking it would be near 70/80, like the UCS BB-8.

Mental price and tbh, an ugly set imho. I know the head was a dome in the movie too but it just doesn't look right to me.

Fished the white blocks from my 5580 Highway Rig out of the Retr0brite method's Hydrogen Peroxide / Oxiclean mix over the week and the transformation is incredible. Almost all of the sun/tobacco smoke discoloration is gone and many of the bricks look brand new.

I have the grey bricks in now and, although I've read it's not as effective at removing yellowing from grey as it is from white, I'm hopeful it should make a big improvement at least. Will upload before and after pics when I have it rebuilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sleepy wrote: »
    Fished the white blocks from my 5580 Highway Rig out of the Retr0brite method's Hydrogen Peroxide / Oxiclean mix over the week and the transformation is incredible. Almost all of the sun/tobacco smoke discoloration is gone and many of the bricks look brand new.

I have the grey bricks in now and, although I've read it's not as effective at removing yellowing from grey as it is from white, I'm hopeful it should make a big improvement at least. Will upload before and after pics when I have it rebuilt.

Doesn't require sunlight? I have a bottle of HP waiting for some sunlight here :)

I put the white bricks in a pyrex oven dish, covered with HP, added a teaspoon of Oxi-action (Supervalu own brand) and left it on the kitchen windowsill for a week with a bit of a stir every now and then. The whites have come up brilliantly, hoping the greys will be approaching the same level of success by the weekend. :)

I'm at a wedding Friday though so will be Saturday night before it gets fished out. Rebuilding 5580 might prove a good hangover cure though!

Where did you get the HP?

Asked a local chemist and they had a few bottles in stock. Apparently chemists won't be stocking it any more though (at least according to staff in Boots and McCabes).

Presume salon supply stores would have it too? At 3.50 per 200ml bottle, the chemists are an expensive way to go!

My wife got it for me in a hairdresser supply store in Dublin. They had various strength, I think she picked up 5% for me.

Some snow day Lego..

Two classic sets right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I hate LEGO now. In the last few days, I've started and finsihed; brick bank, palace cinema and old fishing store.
    Brick Bank and Old Fishing Store look the pat though and the cinema had some nice little touches like the screen inside with the seats and the sign.
    Fishing Store was tedious and just an uninteresting build but then maybe I was burnt out with it being the third one I built.
    Just felt, it didn't live up to the standards set by the modulars.
    Brick Bank was a fantastic build some really clever use of parts and it looks spectacular in my view.
    Gonna to have to take a break now for a while.
    Will try my hand at ninjago city or detectives office next. Or maybe rebuild Ghostbusters HQ (I dropped it when I was moving it and it smashed)

I've had the technic crawler crane sitting in a box for the best part of 18 months. It's now built and I've absolutely no idea where I'll put it. Great set but it's big!

Also built the Oxford Bricks Titanic with my son. Not challenging or anything but a very nice set when put together

• Advertisement

As promised: photos of the rebuilt Bog Rig after the retr0brite treatment.

The bricks do feel a little bit more brittle and one or two of the greys came out a little bit mottled but a huge improvement overall :)

444598.jpg
    444599.jpg

Advertisement