Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

It's popped up officially now as well and the Irish Lego shop is quoting 399.99e. Not bad really, was expecting 500-600.

Might forgo getting any of the other sets, buy the biggie and sell off the founders minifigures to offset some of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah damn it. When I heard about the nano scale I thought I'd be able to resist, especially when I figured there'd be no minifigures included. I saw the set before I saw the price, I was fearing a higher price. But I'm still drooling over both the Milennium Falcon and the Roller Coaster, why do they keep doing this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Damn I didn't think I'd be tempted, but I really really am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Of course, now I'm looking at Warner's studio model and trying to figure how many sets it'd take to complete the Astronomy tower etc. 3 copies, maybe a Big Ben? Not that I'll actually spend the money... There's also the complete lack of talent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Conchir wrote: »
    Damn I didn't think I'd be tempted, but I really really am.

+1
    I need Cloud City to be revealed soon so I don't blow the budget on all things Harry Potter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Ye the leak actually was first posted on FB (FB usually is late to the leaks), looks really good and there are 27 microfigs! If I am getting it, it will be near the time when it goes retired, because I still need to get MF UCS ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's ahead of the MF UCS for me simply as although I know I'd love the Star Wars build, I'd never be able to display the completed model whereas that looks more do-able with Hogwarts.

I wonder how big is this castle, crazy 6k pieces set!!!

So all the new sets are up online and in stores. Smyths, Eason and Art & Hobby Shop are all price-matching Lego and Argos doing their usual shifty business by being a good deal more expensive than everyone else.

If rumours are to be believed, Argos' 3 for 2 sale is to take place over this weekend so those new sets will look like really good value but unless you're buying three of the one set, it probably won't be worth it. Especially seeing as a load of Lego sets have mysteriously increased in price over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Anytime ever come across legoeu.com? Ads for it appearing in my Facebook feed. Looks surely dodgy? Seems set up to look like the normal Lego group shop website with cheaper prices

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

g0g wrote: »
    Anytime ever come across legoeu.com? Ads for it appearing in my Facebook feed. Looks surely dodgy? Seems set up to look like the normal Lego group shop website with cheaper prices
    About as fake as it gets, won't be entering any credit card details there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Report the ads, about the only thing Facebook moderates properly!

Having bought10243 the Parisian Restaurant, I'm finding that while I really enjoyed the build, it's not really doing it for me as a display piece and that I'd rather chase more of the old Model Team sets than complete a modular street that I don't have the space to display properly.

I'm torn as whether to just sell it on or whether to hold on to it for a while to see if it appreciates... I know the set is due to retire soon (it hasn't been anounced but it's the longest running of the series at the moment and they rarely go beyond 4 years). It's still available on lego.com for €154.99 and mint used sets on eBay seem to go for around €120 (complete with box, instructions and spare parts as mine is).

Presumably even once it's retired there'd be BNIB stock floating around for a couple of years so I'm skeptical of it's potential to increase in value in the short-medium term but hesitant to just stick it up on Adverts for €120 now in case it becomes worth twice that in 12 months time!

Any advice?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Having bought10243 the Parisian Restaurant, I'm finding that while I really enjoyed the build, it's not really doing it for me as a display piece and that I'd rather chase more of the old Model Team sets than complete a modular street that I don't have the space to display properly.

I'm torn as whether to just sell it on or whether to hold on to it for a while to see if it appreciates... I know the set is due to retire soon (it hasn't been anounced but it's the longest running of the series at the moment and they rarely go beyond 4 years). It's still available on lego.com for €154.99 and mint used sets on eBay seem to go for around €120 (complete with box, instructions and spare parts as mine is).

Presumably even once it's retired there'd be BNIB stock floating around for a couple of years so I'm skeptical of it's potential to increase in value in the short-medium term but hesitant to just stick it up on Adverts for €120 now in case it becomes worth twice that in 12 months time!

Any advice?

Personally, I'd pack it away and forget about it for a few months. If it's not a display piece and you're unsure whether to sell up now or not, put it out of sight for the time being. You might uncover it sometime next year and think 'ooh, yes, I'll build that now' (I've done this numerous times) or you might find it and think 'yep, that's got to go'.

I do the same with sets I'm unsure about. I put a few Star Wars sets away in April I think and dug them out there and I've put all but one up on Adverts at knock-down prices to get rid of them. But one of the sets, I thought I'd keep. So it can go either way.

If space and storage are an issue, flog it now :) (I'm not in the market so have no horse in the race).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That set is unlikely to appreciate to any great extent. Huge supply and bought in huge numbers by wannabe investors

Any advice?

I would say keep it for now, if you would like to sell it when it is retired.

It is a shame that it is not doing it for you as a display set :o Do you own other modular set? I thought they look amazing when put together. I think it is up to the personal liking, I personally love modular sets, it is the reason that pulled me out of my dark age ha.

Recently I am looking to make the mini version of parisian, so imagine I have them line up:pac:
    40243539552_1220fa997d_z.jpg
    (the creator of that mini set is amazing https://www.flickr.com/photos/138986803@N03/)

I found the set a great build and loved the detail but really, I think you'd need at least 3 or 4 of the modular sets to make an attractive display piece and you'd need a fairly decent sized shelf to display them on.

When, for the same outlay, you could get the UCS Millenium Falcon (or more likely for me, the upcoming UCS Hogwarts set) or a whole stack of Architecture / Ideas / Creator Expert car sets, my inclination is towards the latter as the better spend.

The micro-scale versions are lovely though!

Good lord....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Seen it in Sheffield last week. It is impressive. Not one for the kids to play with.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who is more interested in the House Founders minifigures than the Hogwarts set?

Most reviews will have a cursory paragraph or two about the minifigures but mostly talk about the set (I feel this is justified) while people voicing their opinion rarely, if ever, mention the minifigures. Difficult to get a bead on the feelings towards them.

• Advertisement

Couldn't care less about the mini-figs tbh. It's the castle I want.

The only mini-figs I bother to buy are those that are unique to places I've visited e.g. The LEGO Store in London / Hamleys etc. I was rather dissapointed to find there wasn't one for the Disneyland Village Lego Store during our recent trip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Couldn't care less about the mini-figs tbh. It's the castle I want.

The only mini-figs I bother to buy are those that are unique to places I've visited e.g. The LEGO Store in London / Hamleys etc. I was rather dissapointed to find there wasn't one for the Disneyland Village Lego Store during our recent trip there.

I'm weighing up whether or not I'm going to take the plunge on this set. I really want the Rollercoaster, not to mention the Falcon, and neither funds or space are likely to allow for all three. If you do get Hogwarts let me know if you're selling the minifigs, I'd certainly be interested if I wasn't going to pick it up myself.

I can't see funds stretching to it any time soon tbh but if the stars align, I'll keep you in mind necro!

Hogwarts UCS arrived today. I wasn’t sure that it had been lost in some random Lego shop at home glitch. Ordered the second it went live and was greeted with a back order notification. Checked five minutes later and it was listed as being in stock.

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where's the rest of it? That's pretty bad imo, looks like someone stopped halfway through building it. It gets worse the longer you look at it. Hogwarts is only a bit more expensive ffs.

^I agree! I quite like the mini shuttles and the scenes are actually looking great! But when you combine them altogether, the whole thing looks ugly somehow ha....

My expectations for this were pretty low. Lego met them. In fairness it strikes me as an incredibly difficult set to pull off without major compromises

I think we might be being a bit harsh, it looks like a fun set to play with if you're 8 or 9 years old and your mum/dad has helped you build it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wandered into a toy museum in France a couple of days ago and stumbled across this wrongness:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/RMbifMk5to3WcBCp7

Advertisement