Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

John Lewis accept them on their website based on this url:

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/spend-online.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sleepy wrote: »
    John Lewis accept them on their website based on this url:

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/spend-online.html

Oh amazing, thanks for that, I’d never have thought to check there. I’ll have a proper look over the next few days, but they seem to have a decent selection.
    I’ll be kept busy “helping” my eldest son with the Lego Santa brings tomorrow!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ryath wrote: »
    New Architecture sets look great.

LEGO-Architecture-21043-San-Fransisco-2.jpg

LEGO-Architecture-21044-Paris-1.jpg

Loving the San Francisco one. This will be on my to buy list for the New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My sons Infinity War sets... one more on route :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Any shops getting the new Star Wars sets in? They were due on the 1st but Smyths don't have them, nor Toymaster or Argos. Slow shipment?

The new CMF series have been unveiled as well, can't wait for them to hit stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Rhyme wrote: »
    Any shops getting the new Star Wars sets in? They were due on the 1st but Smyths don't have them, nor Toymaster or Argos. Slow shipment?

The new CMF series have been unveiled as well, can't wait for them to hit stores.

Smyths Star Wars selection was tiny today. Must be due a big shipment.

A bumper haul of lego in our house this Christmas! :D

21310 - IDEAS - Old Fishing Store & Light Kit - My present from Mrs Sleepy and the kids, a really nice build with superb detailing. Still have to apply the lighting kit.

10247 - Creator Expert - Ferris Wheel - the Eldest's presnt from Santa - the most repetitive build I think I've ever come across, glad there were two of us to share the building! Good scale, it looks great as a display piece and comes with a large number of minifigs but not a particularly enjoyable build tbh.

42063 - TECHNIC - BMW R 1200 GS Adventure - the Eldest's present from his grandfather. A beautiful build with some really nice mechanics.

10252 - Creator Expert - Brick Bank - Another of the Eldest's presents. Still to be built.

10258 - Creator Expert - London Bus - Yet another of the Eldest's presents, he had a good year! Still to be built.

75952 - Harry Potter - Newt´s Case of Magical Creatures - the youngest's present from me. Still to be built.

40289 - Harry Potter - Diagon Alley - one of the youngest's stocking fillers. Still to be built.

They each got a couple of the Harry Potter CMFs and some of that Lego tape in their stockings too. Youngest was delighted to finally get her hands on a Dobby!

Great to have a few sets to build during the miserable January evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

It's been a Harry Potter Christmas here too. Santa brought my eldest girl The Great Hall and Womping Willow. Granny gave her Aragog and Grindawalds Escape. I spent a while rooting through blind bags in Tesco to find a few the kids didn't have. Got Dobby, Dumbledor, Voldemort and Mad Eye. Have majority of them now but they still want me to find Luna who I had found that night and Harry with invisbilty cloak who seems to be hardest work out. He's the only one without a unique piece to be certain what you have.

2nd girls only Lego was Friends Friendship House and a elves set from granny. Two of them share and play with most of each others set's though.

Really like the great hall but it's quite an awkward shape and size with the womping willow attached. Nearly as big as the Hogwarts Castle which I would love to get now but it's way over my budget.

Got the Diner modular as my present from my wife. Still not had time or space to build it though. Need to find some display and storage space for all the kids lego. Think we're going to need to convert the spare bedroom to a playroom. Either that or extend!

The youngest in ours has the Great Hall and Womping Willow sets too, they're lovely!

Must figure out how to identify the blind bags, they've a few doubles and one triple (tina goldstein) at this stage! I'll check tonight but we may actually have a double of Harry with the invisibility cloak too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

Sleepy wrote: »
    Must figure out how to identify the blind bags, they've a few doubles and one triple (tina goldstein) at this stage! I'll check tonight but we may actually have a double of Harry with the invisibility cloak too.

Some are easy enough identify had't seen this guide but Voldemort snake, Moody's staff and Dumbledore's pensive are all easy find.

LEGO-71022-Harry-Potter-Fantastic-Beasts-TBB-Feel-Guide-v1.jpg?fit=620%2C960&ssl=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have all the Harry Potter ones bar professor trelawney. I wasn’t bothered with the fantastic beasts, so swapped any of those that I got.
    I am RUBBISH at feeling my way through the blind bags! I can never tell what’s what, other than diggory, that cup is very obvious!
    There’s a good bit of buying/selling/swapping of them on adverts.ie, so worth having a look there!

Thanks to whoever posted re the One4all vouchers on John Lewis. I had intended to order the diner, but I ended up getting the VW beetle and the camper van. The arrived this morning, had to use parcel motel, but delivery was very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

This seems to be gone already from lego online...strange it would retire so soon...

Its the Fantastic Beasts Brickheadz I was refering to here. The picture was too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I checked Smyth's in store on Wednesday and they had none of the new sets except for the Lego Movie 2 sets. The new star wars sets are listed on the Smyth's website though so I'll check in store tomorrow.

I checked Smyth's in store on Wednesday and they had none of the new sets except for the Lego Movie 2 sets. The new star wars sets are listed on the Smyth's website though so I'll check in store tomorrow.

I think as long as the stores list the sets as 'out of stock', they won't be on the shelves. They probably scheduled them to be there on the 1st (or 2nd) but the stock hasn't arrived. That Toymaster and Argos are in the same boat makes me think this most of all.

I've no problem waiting, my Smyths voucher can go on games that are coming out instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

h9ZdaFg.jpg sharing this DC figs collection going on the wall later! :D started this since 2017 so it really took awhile aha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Smyth's had two shelves fully cleared in the starwars section today, maybe stock is late arriving.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Smyth's had two shelves fully cleared in the starwars section today, maybe stock is late arriving.

I was in Smyth's Childers road earlier today and they were stocking Funko Pops on shelves where the Lego city line usually is. They also had about 50 of some Ninjago character set stretched across 3 shelves filling the space.

mloc123 wrote: »

Argos updated their reserve date-stamp to "Mon 7th - Wed 9th January" for the Star Wars sets so I'd say you're right.

Argos updated their reserve date-stamp to "Mon 7th - Wed 9th January" for the Star Wars sets so I'd say you're right.

I was able to reserve the Praetorian BP for collection today in Argos Cruises St Limerick...

With a price of €18.19 compared to the RRP of €14.99 I might wait a bit longer for Smyth's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I have a bunch of Space Lego from the 80s that I used as a kid. Found it in my attic the other day and it's pretty mint condition I guess (Lego is indestructible)

Would this be worth a bit?

It's probably a full space ship / station thingy

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    I have a bunch of Space Lego from the 80s that I used as a kid. Found it in my attic the other day and it's pretty mint condition I guess (Lego is indestructible)

Would this be worth a bit?

It's probably a full space ship / station thingy

If it's complete in mint condition then it *may* be worth something. It all depends on the set, the condition and if it's complete. If you have the instruction manual, you should try build it to get an idea what you're dealing with.

If you don't have a manual, you could post pics here of the pieces and somebody might be able to make an educated guess as to what set it is and from there you can download the instructions.

So, for whatever reason, Argos have some of the new Star Wars sets for a little cheaper than Smyths. Praetorian Guard Battle is 13.99 instead of 14.99 and Escape Pod vs. Dewback is 18.99 instead of 19.99.

Gunship, Death Star Escape and the AT-AP sets are slightly cheaper as well. Unusual but nice.

So, for whatever reason, Argos have some of the new Star Wars sets for a little cheaper than Smyths. Praetorian Guard Battle is 13.99 instead of 14.99 and Escape Pod vs. Dewback is 18.99 instead of 19.99.

I bought two of the Praetorian BP's this week, very nice to see Argos actually competing with Smyth's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Last lego I bought and made was the Architecture Robie House and the Technic Claas Xerion 5000

(somehow have misplaced the Robie House and its pissing me off, probably boxed in the attic as I moved)

Was looking to buy myself 1 or 2 small sets, was thinking some of the Architecture City sets as they are cheap enough or a couple of the Speed Champions sets

Just wondering if there is much building in these sets.

Other option would be the Technic Bugatti

Also have ye any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Last lego I bought and made was the Architecture Robie House and the Technic Claas Xerion 5000

(somehow have misplaced the Robie House and its pissing me off, probably boxed in the attic as I moved)

Was looking to buy myself 1 or 2 small sets, was thinking some of the Architecture City sets as they are cheap enough or a couple of the Speed Champions sets

Just wondering if there is much building in these sets.

Other option would be the Technic Bugatti

Also have ye any recommendations

If you use the instructions then you have them built in no time. Speed Champions have a lot of stickers which slows down the process.

What I like to do with small city vehicles in the €10-30 range is try to build them looking only at the box. Takes much longer but its sort of enjoyable and satisfying to complete it without peaking at the instructions. Sometimes I might just read through the intrusions once to get a start on the interior, then put it away and have a go.

Technic sets are good build experiences but have I recently built 2 Ninjago sets (Ninjago City and Destinys Bounty) and they were a joy to put togtether.

If you use the instructions then you have them built in no time. Speed Champions have a lot of stickers which slows down the process.

What I like to do with small city vehicles in the €10-30 range is try to build them looking only at the box. Takes much longer but its sort of enjoyable and satisfying to complete it without peaking at the instructions. Sometimes I might just read through the intrusions once to get a start on the interior, then put it away and have a go.

Technic sets are good build experiences but have I recently built 2 Ninjago sets (Ninjago City and Destinys Bounty) and they were a joy to put togtether.

That's not a bad idea with the smaller builds.

I think I might buy the Saturn V set for starters, looks great value for money at €120

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

The Saturn V is a fantastic build, really worth the money. It's huge too :)

Got some free ATV Fireman item using the code ATV1 when ordering the Nasa set.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think the LEGO City sets are far too police/fire services/construction oriented, with no houses and few other types of buildings or vehicles. Also a lot of the individual pieces are too large and compact, making the builds very very easy. They are more play oriented, and firmly aimed at young boys.

IMO the best LEGO sets that recreate the spirit of the old town LEGO from my childhood are the Creator range.

My favourite LEGO categories now, as a 43 year old proud AFOL, are in the following order:

1. Creator (incl the big modular sets)
    2. Architecture
    3. Technic

I miss the old style space LEGO. The Star Wars range really just doesn’t excite me and is very expensive.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I miss the old style space LEGO. The Star Wars range really just doesn’t excite me and is very expensive.

I think Nexo Knights tried to reinvigorate the old Space range with a foundation of Castle, shame it didn't last. Maybe we can finally get back to some classic themes like Space, Pirates (and Islands) and Castle (and Wolf Pack, Forestmen etc).

Advertisement