Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

HorseSea wrote: »
    It's usually easiest to start in stages and do a quick basic sort something like:

Tiny parts (Weapons, minifig parts etc)
    Plates 1 by x, 2 by x
    Plates - larger inc baseplates
    Bricks, all plain bricks
    Slopes and curves
    Modified Bricks
    Tiles and Trans parts.
    Odd parts, usually bulky odd parts.

When you have that done look to further sort the largest pile and split that to what works for you.

If you start with too many categories, it gets confusing pretty quick and you'll forget where you put that weird part in you hand the last time you came across. By keeping it simple you can fly though and just keep refining to what suits you and the available storage boxes.

Enjoy - some people find it therapeutic others hate the job!

I had 3 large crates of bricks to sort and this was definitely the best approach. You'll find you get through the first batch quickly and it certainly makes life easier. I still have about one crate left to sort but it's all smaller / weirder parts that I wouldn't have huge quantities of.

So the new haunted house is supposed to be a fairground ride. Hmmm

https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/haunted-house-10273?cmp=social-3yf5yo-SHOP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

From the leaked images I was expecting a darker set with defined, themed areas (Mummy's tomb, Dr. Frankensteins Lab, Wolfman's lair etc). Seeing how bright and cheerful it is has actually turned me off it. Also, is it just me or is it too... 'tall'?

Reading online, it's full of references to older sets and ranges. Great nostalgia factor and wonderful to add to an existing cityscape/fairground setup. I'll keep my wallet closed until something else comes along though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Looks terrible, not sure what the point is.

The original haunted house is perfect.

I don't t mind the height too much although it is very tall and could be a nightmare to display. I agree, knowing its a fairground ride has definitely taken some of the appeal away. I'm sure it'd be easy to strip those parts out but I think it'd have to be heavily discounted before I considering buying one to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Looks terrible, not sure what the point is.

The original haunted house is perfect.

I think it looks too cared for - a few broken windows etc (like the original) would be better.

I do think it's a nice set though and will be hard to resist. Display is becoming more of an issue for sets - I need to get more shelves put up and some deeper ones for the bigger sets.

Does anyone know If I preorder off the site am I charged now or when the item ships? I know I usually get charged with the item ships but I've never preordered before.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Does anyone know If I preorder off the site am I charged now or when the item ships? I know I usually get charged with the item ships but I've never preordered before.

TIA

They'll place a hold on your card for a week which will then fall off and they'll take the money when it ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Technic UCS Lambo images have leaked.... not too keen on it

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

mloc123 wrote: »
    The Technic UCS Lambo images have leaked.... not too keen on it

That green colour is muck I have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Brick Sketches just unveiled by Lego. These were originally created by Chris McVeigh who was subsequently hired by The LEGO Group.

I imagine these will be highly collectible too.

https://brickset.com/article/51499/brand-new-theme-revealed-brick-sketches!

Helmets are clearly here to stay.

An Iron Man one is due in June as part of a few Marvel releases.

https://twitter.com/BrickFanatics/status/1263587620627464194?s=19

Helmets are clearly here to stay.

An Iron Man one is due in June as part of a few Marvel releases.

https://twitter.com/BrickFanatics/status/1263587620627464194?s=19

That's a bit flat looking I think. Not sure I like the helmets but I'd say they look well on display

That's a bit flat looking I think. Not sure I like the helmets but I'd say they look well on display

I have the Boba Fett one which looks brilliant. There's an odd look to this one though alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I have the Boba Fett one which looks brilliant. There's an odd look to this one though alright.

Read a comment on Brickset that it looked like he’d mumps.

There’s a real pug look to it alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What on earth makes Lego 18+?

Are they putting something dodgy in the instructions book? What functions does the head have?

robinph wrote: »
    What on earth makes Lego 18+?

Are they putting something dodgy in the instructions book? What functions does the head have?

I suspect like the new A-wing their aimed at adult collectors. I can't see too many kids having any interest in them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ahh, just to prevent grandparents buying them for kids who would then be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I suspect like the new A-wing their aimed at adult collectors. I can't see too many kids having any interest in them

Yip. It’s marketing. You can also see it with the style of the boxes they’re starting to use. They’re just trying to make it as appealing to adults as much as possible.

It’s funny how you can see where Lego is targeting a demographic. Eg the Batmobile I’m building at the moment. Every bag has an individual number. There’s no bag 3 x 4 like you’d find in a modular. They want to make it as friendly as possible to someone who hasn’t built a set since their childhood.

I think a lot of it is to push that they're display pieces rather than play pieces to manage expectations.

I love my Boba Fett helmet, looks great, but a kid would be bored senseless, there's zero play value with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All three posts above have it basically - lots of parents with more money than sense buy the really high end sets for kids and moan that the kid can't build it or it falls apart when played with. Kid-sized versions of, say, Star Wars sets are designed for swooshability; the UCS ones aren't!

I've heard parents complaining that their competent kid is building over the age range on the box but its easier to tell those to go up a bit than explain why their little darling can't do some of the advance building techniques.

And the last bit is providing something that is a bit more "wife-acceptable" (insert replacement partner name as appropriate) to try avoid the "why are you spending so much on a childs toy?" questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Adverts is starting to see some hefty price tags. There was a captain rex recently on there for €80 too.

https://www.adverts.ie/lego-building-toys/lego-star-wars-ashoka-tano/20464993

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

Yesterday I built Audi Quattro. My first build in long long time. Had a great crack.

syboit wrote: »
    Adverts is starting to see some hefty price tags. There was a captain rex recently on there for €80 too.

Some people are just deluded. I always take Bricklink as my baseline for prices as it is so much more active and self-reflective, eBay is so cut off, people just charge whatever. Adverts, largely is quite good with prices staying within certain ranges.

Example, if you look at all prices for the UCS Ewok village, they are all within a range with some wandering downwards or upwards depending on if its sealed, in good condition etc.

Seen that yesterday alright. Madness, I bought that set sealed for less than that in Feb. Average sold price on BL for that fig new is €54.

Guess we can thank Disney plus for the crazy clone wars and rebels price inflations!

Seen that yesterday alright. Madness, I bought that set sealed for less than that in Feb. Average sold price on BL for that fig new is €54.

Guess we can thank Disney plus for the crazy clone wars and rebels price inflations!

I've started watching that show last night, when I get to the end of season 7, I hope to understand the hype and madness.

Rhyme wrote: »
    I've started watching that show last night, when I get to the end of season 7, I hope to understand the hype and madness.

I'm finishing rebels with the kids then I'll rewatch the clone wars. Both very good shows that we're potentially overlooked when they aired here first because they were on a kids channel. Also I think TV story telling is a lot more popular now than when CW first aired.

I'm finishing rebels with the kids then I'll rewatch the clone wars. Both very good shows that we're potentially overlooked when they aired here first because they were on a kids channel. Also I think TV story telling is a lot more popular now than when CW first aired.

Yeah, I think the recent "older" Ashoka being centre stage again for a lot of Season7 of the clone wars has got people increasing the prices.

I thought there was rumours of an upcoming set with a new Ashoka fig, who knows.

Yeah, I think the recent "older" Ashoka being centre stage again for a lot of Season7 of the clone wars has got people increasing the prices.

I thought there was rumours of an upcoming set with a new Ashoka fig, who knows.

Heard that rumour as well. It would make sense considering how central she is for most of season 7. If you haven't looked all ready have a look on YouTube for Building Mandalore. This guy has build some amazing mocs in the past and he's been working on Mandalore for the last few months. I think the finale is this weekend so if you haven't been following it might be worth waiting until he showcases it all.

• Advertisement

Heard that rumour as well. It would make sense considering how central she is for most of season 7. If you haven't looked all ready have a look on YouTube for Building Mandalore. This guy has build some amazing mocs in the past and he's been working on Mandalore for the last few months. I think the finale is this weekend so if you haven't been following it might be worth waiting until he showcases it all.

Ah, thats yer man David. So funny to see some of his older vid's when he was fairly young, and now he's in his mid twenties. He used to be legoboy123456789 or something like that.

They seem to get bigger all the time, he must just have bins of dark blue grey pieces.

Advertisement