Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Saw that now but sadly none in Dublin. So yeah as someone said about it in adverts hopefully that bites them in the ass as saw one person say they bought 4 of them. Hopefully people who want them buy them and not just sellers.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Bloody hell. There was 2 in Smyths in limerick when I was on earlier. Would of been worth the drive to get them both ha. Saying that there is me giving out about people doing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yay, new official Lego shop going to be opening near me later in the year. :D

Best start saving.

Where is it opening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

There is a flaw with the gearbox, 1 or 2 of the tiny gear wheels get chewed up. Fix is relatively easy (see brickset for an example).

I expect an updated version with the fixed gearbox to be released. The military vehicle thing was used as an excuse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Somewhere in Bristol, which saves a trip over to Cardiff or London. Will make it far easier to pick something up on a whim rather than needing to justify the expense of a trip to my wallet in advance and have pre-authorised forms filled out in triplicate before I'm let loose with the credit card.

There is a flaw with the gearbox, 1 or 2 of the tiny gear wheels get chewed up. Fix is relatively easy (see brickset for an example).

I expect an updated version with the fixed gearbox to be released. The military vehicle thing was used as an excuse.

Fair few listed on adverts now. I reckon most of them will go unsold at the prices listed.

Was over at Smyths at blanchardstown and was a q there about 6 people waiting for em. Gone straight away, saw one of the chaps who got it talking to someone afterwards who worked in the shop in a shirt older person, you wonder did they get the heads up as they went straight to the customer service desk while me and others went to the Lego section

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Was over at Smyths at blanchardstown and was a q there about 6 people waiting for em. Gone straight away, saw one of the chaps who got it talking to someone afterwards who worked in the shop in a shirt older person, you wonder did they get the heads up as they went straight to the customer service desk while me and others went to the Lego section

I'd be curious to see how many people are building them. Seems to be one lad on adverts buying most of the ones listed. I'm assuming lego will fix the gear issue and release again

• Advertisement

Say not many sure if same person getting them keep one sell the rest then would make a killing. But if Smyths let you click and collect maybe same chap wouldn't get them all. Reading up on it seems some German anti war crowd or the likes got onto Lego about it being a military vehicle and that Lego don't do them so that's why was pulled and yes there is a problem with one or two parts on it at gears but I say they won't do it again. Looks like a lovely setbas well.

Lego osprey in stock in Smyths home delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

Lego osprey in stock in Smyths home delivery

Thank you.

Managed to grab one.

Out of stock now

Deadly got one myself. So I say that's the end of them in Smyths so. Unless few pop in stores.

Funny 2 of the sets were in the store in Galway this morning until 8.50 then went offline and said sold out. Say someone in the store bought them themselves.

Are lego likely to fix the gearbox issue and re-release the osprey. Cool looking set but no way am I paying 700 for it! I'd rather get the lamborghini and a few other sets instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone get the lambo? If we get sent back into lockdown im going to buy it. The drivetrain has become disconnected in my Chiron so I'm thinking I might semi dismantle it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I picked up the Pirates of Barracuda Bay Ideas set last month, so of course I had to bring my Black Seas Barracuda out of storage to get them side by side!

The Ideas ship is very cool, uses some really nice building techniques, whereas the OG is quite simplistic in places by comparison (but then it is 30 years old). I'll be assembling the Ideas set into the ship soon, so will probably post a comparison photo then.

It's a really cool set though, incredibly detailed and fun to build.

ROeBKrxh.jpg

tsZh8eSh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Are lego likely to fix the gearbox issue and re-release the osprey. Cool looking set but no way am I paying 700 for it! I'd rather get the lamborghini and a few other sets instead.

Given Lego said they were pulling it because of connections to war vehicles it's unlikely they would re-release it with fixed gears. Perhaps they will release it under a different name but they would probably need to sort out royalties with Bell Boeing.

Personally I see all the ads on Adverts dropping prices in order to sell, under cutting each other to get a sale. I'd have thought 300 would be achievable as the people willing to pay 600-700 disappear and sellers are left with the set and no interested buyers.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Given Lego said they were pulling it because of connections to war vehicles it's unlikely they would re-release it with fixed gears. Perhaps they will release it under a different name but they would probably need to sort out royalties with Bell Boeing.

Personally I see all the ads on Adverts dropping prices in order to sell, under cutting each other to get a sale. I'd have thought 300 would be achievable as the people willing to pay 600-700 disappear and sellers are left with the set and no interested buyers.

I don't understand why they've all priced so high. There was always going to be 1 or 2 sales at that price. There are 12 ads listed now. I also suspect some of them are the same seller with multiple accounts. Either way people won't have the space to store them longtime and I agree €300ish is more likely as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

[PHP][/PHP]
    I don't understand why they've all priced so high. There was always going to be 1 or 2 sales at that price. There are 12 ads listed now. I also suspect some of them are the same seller with multiple accounts. Either way people won't have the space to store them longtime and I agree €300ish is more likely as time goes on.

and not forgetting some sellers with multiples of the set.

Will the osprey sets be worth big money down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Will the osprey sets be worth big money down the line?

That particular one will more than likely continue to be priced that high, yes. But if Lego re-release the set with the rotor gears fixed and maybe some small design changes to stamp it as a rescue vehicle (I think this is somewhat likely), the market for them at that price will largely dry up.

It's why there is a small but active market for mis-prints and bad mouldings. People will always want something that there is very little of even if it means keeping an unopened box sitting in their attic gathering dust. You can have an unopened Osprey priced at 700euro and believe that it's worth that much but until you find a buyer you have a cardboard box full of moulded plastic taking up space.

Lego is made to be enjoyed, this sort of shite (briefly) depresses me. I quickly go back to pretending that these hoarding and scalping people don't exist and that cheers me back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Masterkey01

I realised what was going on about 10am last Sat morning Aug 1st and Raced over to my local Smyths only to be told that one fella got two of them via click and collect and the 3rd set was just sold a few minutes ago, I spent the weekend hourly checking the smyths website and even drove an 1hr30mins up the road to Limerick Sunday Morning to check there, Only to be Told by the lad behind the counter “Most wanted thing in the store id say, Tuesday morning around 8:30 i went onto the smyths site and boom seems like stores had deliveries from there warehouse after the weekend, Was showing two available in my local store Tralee, I went over again as fast as i could and there was two people already queuing up outside the store, This is 45mins before its due to open and i was sure i was out of luck, But after a little investigative work turns out they weren't there for Lego at all, Doors open and i catch the first employee i see, Show him my phone and ask do they have it, Yes its ine per customer he says and there on a pallet out the back to wait, 5 Minutes later he appears with set 42113 Lego Osprey, My god i could not believe it, I asked how many he had left and was told 2 left. (So 3 in total even tho the site said 2 in stock) But he was firm on the one per customer, At which point i ring my brother and Girlfriend to get here immediately, I think my words were this is life changing, Long Story short i coordinated nothing but a miracle On Tuesday Morning and now there is 3 ospreys within the household, Now ill add i am not a scalper and don't have any forsale, 1 is mine and will be opened, Built and Added to my Collection. The second bought by my Girlfriend is also mine, (Although she was holding ransom for awhile) I will keep this unopened and potentially sell it down the line, It will be sold to fund other Lego purchases, The Third is my brothers he has a small Lego Collection and Us adding 42113 to it.
    See my instagram “irishbricks” for my relevant Lego credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Now ill add i am not a scalper and don't have any forsale, 1 is mine and will be opened, Built and Added to my Collection. The second bought by my Girlfriend is also mine, (Although she was holding ransom for awhile) I will keep this unopened and potentially sell it down the line, It will be sold to fund other Lego purchases,

Buying one to sell down the line to fund a purchase is being a scalper. No other way about it. You've literally bought it to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Masterkey01

Buying one to sell down the line to fund a purchase is being a scalper. No other way about it. You've literally bought it to make a profit.

Ok Thanks for your positive attitude, Im a collector and not one of the people who specifically bought the set to immediately put it up for sale again at 5 times the price, Those people who would never buy a lego set on a normal day.
    Who knows if i will ever make a profit off it, I didn't say i was planning to, Theres a part of me that believes Lego could still release this set, I find it hard to believe they would cancel a set days from release.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/08/lego-star-wars-bespin-duel/

746C09CA_1-1.jpg

I am super excited for this set. Saw it leaked a week or so ago and the more I see, the more I love it.

Insta-buy when released and certainly one good thing to come from coronavirus in that it was originally a SDCC exclusive but will now be widely available.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/08/lego-star-wars-bespin-duel/

746C09CA_1-1.jpg

I am super excited for this set. Saw it leaked a week or so ago and the more I see, the more I love it.

Insta-buy when released and certainly one good thing to come from coronavirus in that it was originally a SDCC exclusive but will now be widely available.

It's really nice looking alright. I wonder if cloud city can be modded to accommodate it? Although it might look very oversized

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Great article for anyone with even a passing interest in User Interfaces/Experience: https://www.designedbycave.co.uk/2020/LEGO-Interface-UX/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

With the news of the Harry Potter Diagon Alley set imminent we are all excited.

Question about CMF. In this Covid climate you can hardly go into Smyths or Tesco etc and feel your way through boxes of bags. Whats the solution to get a full set? Buying a full box off Lego.com is an expensive route although I'll need a set for my niece too so that would limit the duplicates

Advertisement