Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

With the news of the Harry Potter Diagon Alley set imminent we are all excited.

Question about CMF. In this Covid climate you can hardly go into Smyths or Tesco etc and feel your way through boxes of bags. Whats the solution to get a full set? Buying a full box off Lego.com is an expensive route although I'll need a set for my niece too so that would limit the duplicates

I'm looking to get a full set as well without going down the 'buy a box' route. Hopefully there will be some options online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

With the news of the Harry Potter Diagon Alley set imminent we are all excited.

Question about CMF. In this Covid climate you can hardly go into Smyths or Tesco etc and feel your way through boxes of bags. Whats the solution to get a full set? Buying a full box off Lego.com is an expensive route although I'll need a set for my niece too so that would limit the duplicates

Check out this crowd, you can buy full boxes for relatively decent prices -

https://www.minifiguremaddness.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Check out this crowd, you can buy full boxes for relatively decent prices -

https://www.minifiguremaddness.com/

Thanks I joined the waiting list at least. Have you ordered from them before? Do you get caught for double shipping, delivery taxes from the US?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Thanks I joined the waiting list at least. Have you ordered from them before? Do you get caught for double shipping, delivery taxes from the US?
    I've used this crowd before, they're based in Spain so no import duty: https://www.minifiguresdisplay.com/

It's an Irish company so why would you pay shipping from the US?

• Advertisement

It's an Irish company so why would you pay shipping from the US?

Fair enough, thanks. Didn't realise that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

You or anyone ever get the surprise box? 40 euro one? Looks decent now but just wondering if it is? From the minifiguremadness website a few posts back

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Spocker wrote: »
    Great article for anyone with even a passing interest in User Interfaces/Experience: https://www.designedbycave.co.uk/2020/LEGO-Interface-UX/

Very interesting. Most UX design in the IT world is terrible.
    Sad to see many car manufacturers going in entirely the wrong direction with awkward, hard to use touchscreen interfaces, driven by cost and fashion.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Toys.fcjsy.com anyone hear about that site, friend sent it on WhatsApp to me there i presume it's a scam site.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Toys.fcjsy.com anyone hear about that site, friend sent it on WhatsApp to me there i presume it's a scam site.

Even the way the url is spelt makes it look scammy - don't even click on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

100% scam.

Your friend should make sure that it was them that sent it to you and not their phone.

501st set back in stock in Smyths for home delivery.

Rhyme wrote: »
    501st set back in stock in Smyths for home delivery.

Didn't last long... oh well some day

Didn't last long... oh well some day

The website is still saying in-store stock coming this week so there's hope. At this stage it's the people who missed the first wave of them and didn't give in to the allure of the scalpers so hopefully there will be a drip feed of them for the next few months.

Argos might be good too in the next while. If Smyths were expecting a shipment then Argos' lot might have been on the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

The website is still saying in-store stock coming this week so there's hope. At this stage it's the people who missed the first wave of them and didn't give in to the allure of the scalpers so hopefully there will be a drip feed of them for the next few months.

Argos might be good too in the next while. If Smyths were expecting a shipment then Argos' lot might have been on the same boat.

Surprised that the AAT set is selling so well too. I'd like a few more 332nd troopers, but dunno if I really want to buy the whole set for them.

syboit wrote: »
    Surprised that the AAT set is selling so well too. I'd like a few more 332nd troopers, but dunno if I really want to buy the whole set for them.

I've always liked having two of most types of troop but two of the 332nd guys is too rich for my blood. I'll settle for one.

That Ahsoka minifigure really catches the eye... and the wallet.

Just sit tight. Their starting to appear in stores in the US so it'll only be a couple of weeks before bricklink is flooded with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I've always liked having two of most types of troop but two of the 332nd guys is too rich for my blood. I'll settle for one.

That Ahsoka minifigure really catches the eye... and the wallet.

Can't imagine the bricklink price for the 332nd to be cheap either. The overall €40 price tag will keep that and the Ahsoka fig easily above €10.

syboit wrote: »
    Can't imagine the bricklink price for the 332nd to be cheap either. The overall €40 price tag will keep that and the Ahsoka fig easily above €10.

If you browse Bricklink from time to time, cheaper sellers appear and then quickly sell out. I'm seeing Ahsoka and the 332nd trooper selling for in and around 13 euro now but those won't last longer than a few days.

• Advertisement

If you browse Bricklink from time to time, cheaper sellers appear and then quickly sell out. I'm seeing Ahsoka and the 332nd trooper selling for in and around 13 euro now but those won't last longer than a few days.

I think under €10 for the 332nd anyway is very possible in the next month or so. On a separate note the AAT is surprisingly pleasing on the eye when built.

I think under €10 for the 332nd anyway is very possible in the next month or so. On a separate note the AAT is surprisingly pleasing on the eye when built.

I think so too. I'll be keeping my eye on Bricklink and ordering one or two later this year.

I had just come down from a Clone Wars cartoon binge (season 7 was hyped so much I watched the whole thing for the first time just to get to season 7) so the inaccuracies in the model took me out of it too much. I know people have MOC'd the central stripe back in, shortened the main gun and other such adjustments but I backed off*. I'm happy with the tan one from Phantom Menace and I'm sure there'll be another one along in a few years.

*was too busy at the time (and up until last week) with those Jurassic Park models. The Ford Explorer nearly broke my heart but is worth it, thanks again :)

[EDIT]: 501st back in stock for home delivery, they must have found one down the side of the sofa. Go! Go! Go!

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-star-wars/lego-75280-star-wars-501st-legion-clone-troopers-set/p/186845

I think so too. I'll be keeping my eye on Bricklink and ordering one or two later this year.

I had just come down from a Clone Wars cartoon binge (season 7 was hyped so much I watched the whole thing for the first time just to get to season 7) so the inaccuracies in the model took me out of it too much. I know people have MOC'd the central stripe back in, shortened the main gun and other such adjustments but I backed off*. I'm happy with the tan one from Phantom Menace and I'm sure there'll be another one along in a few years.

*was too busy at the time (and up until last week) with those Jurassic Park models. The Ford Explorer nearly broke my heart but is worth it, thanks again :)

[EDIT]: 501st back in stock for home delivery, they must have found one down the side of the sofa. Go! Go! Go!

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-star-wars/lego-75280-star-wars-501st-legion-clone-troopers-set/p/186845

No worries, the explorer is great but it's so delicate to build! It put me off the jeep for the moment.

Sweet thanks I got a couple :) Now really want Ashoka but will wait

No worries, the explorer is great but it's so delicate to build! It put me off the jeep for the moment.

The Jeep was an absolute pleasure to build. Put me right back into it. I ordered too few of the glass panels though (needs six, I got three) and the brown hose piece doesn't really exist so I've ordered black in the same diameter. They look great next to the other vehicles I have set up (childhood fancies - Adam West Batmobile, Mystery Machine, Ecto-1, DeLorean, TRON Cycles etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My parents handed me a box of what they said was "your Lego" from their holiday house a few weeks back. Only looked in to it yesterday to see what was in it. Going on unique or rarer elements, I've isolated:

Most of a large 1981 Space ship
    Most of a 1983 Legoland (City) set
    Most of a 1998 Res-Q set
    Most of a 1999 Space (City branded at the time as no Space theme then)

...none of which I ever owned.

Also much of a 1997 Police set that I did have, but was extremely common; and some other random bits.

I haven't yet figured out how on earth they ended up with these! Its such an odd timeline also. There is a chance some neighbour dropped them in 'for the grandkids' at some stage.

L1011 wrote: »
    My parents handed me a box of what they said was "your Lego" from their holiday house a few weeks back. Only looked in to it yesterday to see what was in it. Going on unique or rarer elements, I've isolated:

Most of a large 1981 Space ship
    Most of a 1983 Legoland (City) set
    Most of a 1998 Res-Q set
    Most of a 1999 Space (City branded at the time as no Space theme then)

...none of which I ever owned.

Also much of a 1997 Police set that I did have, but was extremely common; and some other random bits.

I haven't yet figured out how on earth they ended up with these! Its such an odd timeline also. There is a chance some neighbour dropped them in 'for the grandkids' at some stage.

I used to love those Res-Q sets. The helicopter and hovercraft were particular favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

A bunch of 501st sets available for click and collect in Smyths - Limerick, Naas, Athlone, Waterford and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thinking of buying myself the Lambo or Bugatti for my bday present to myself. Usually do one or two big sets a year.

However, tempted to buy a set and hold it to see if it would appreciate in value. I'm not a fan of Harry Potter or Star Wars so could buy and would never be tempted to open them. Anyone ever done something similar?

I'm not looking to make a fortune or even anything just curious as I trade my own stocks and its something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Conchir wrote: »
    I picked up the Pirates of Barracuda Bay Ideas set last month, so of course I had to bring my Black Seas Barracuda out of storage to get them side by side!

The Ideas ship is very cool, uses some really nice building techniques, whereas the OG is quite simplistic in places by comparison (but then it is 30 years old). I'll be assembling the Ideas set into the ship soon, so will probably post a comparison photo then.

It's a really cool set though, incredibly detailed and fun to build.

I got around to making the ship the other day. Great to get them side by side.

43Mgs1zh.jpg

Hm1DTJLh.jpg

In these two you really get a sense of the size difference between the two, and a small idea of the level of detail in the new set.
    WGWIcz3l.jpgzFRjJzxl.jpg

The windlass mechanism for lowering the anchor on the new ship (you can see it on the far right) is really cool.
    lrlJ7ZRl.jpgsMDMsBTl.jpg

They've crammed an awful lot into the new cabin.
    SdFJHNll.jpgSdziKMMl.jpg

If anyone is considering Barraccuda Bay, I can't recommend it enough. Black Seas Barracuda is obviously a special set, but the detail and building techniques in the new set are winners.

Advertisement