Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

That is so wicked and a real blast from the past. Thanks for doing the side by side. Definitely getting it now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

PHG wrote: »
    Thinking of buying myself the Lambo or Bugatti for my bday present to myself. Usually do one or two big sets a year.

However, tempted to buy a set and hold it to see if it would appreciate in value. I'm not a fan of Harry Potter or Star Wars so could buy and would never be tempted to open them. Anyone ever done something similar?

I'm not looking to make a fortune or even anything just curious as I trade my own stocks and its something different.

It's difficult to know what will appreciate in value and occasionally more difficult to find a market if a set has appreciated. People had the original Millennium Falcon UCS set on Adverts for months and months without a buyer even when they were selling below average market price.

Themes that have endured are usually the ones that fetch good prices like Star Wars but it's often best to go by what people gravitate towards instead like the Lord of the Rings sets from 2012/2013. Lego Ideas is a good place to start too, but seeing as they are now moving away from active IP, this could tail off in the future.

You might end up holding onto large sets for years and years and then have great difficulty shifting them as Lego will have moved on to other things that people are interested in unless you've managed to hoard a really important set that new enthusiasts will pursue (older enthusiasts will have bought the set already).

My personal feelings (that I kept out of what I've written above) are to buy what you want and enjoy them. Better to invest in something more easily stored and maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rhyme wrote: »

My personal feelings (that I kept out of what I've written above) are to buy what you want and enjoy them. Better to invest in something more easily stored and maintained.

This. Toys are a horrendous option when it comes to investing. They take up physical space, there’s a limited opportunity to divest, there’s tons of people of people doing it now, it can simply be reissued. They take away from people who might actually want to play with the things, particularly those ****ers who hoover reduced sets thereby keeping them from people of reduced means. If you want to get into investing, do it properly and don’t be speculating on toys.

This. Toys are a horrendous option when it comes to investing. They take up physical space, there’s a limited opportunity to divest, there’s tons of people of people doing it now, it can simply be reissued. They take away from people who might actually want to play with the things, particularly those ****ers who hoover reduced sets thereby keeping them from people of reduced means. If you want to get into investing, do it properly and don’t be speculating on toys.

Yup, better off with stocks, precious metals, bitcoin etc. A quiet portfolio.

...that said, I did accidentally order a 501st battle pack (it was in my basket on Lego.com and I forgot it was there while rushing through an order of the NES set) that is due to be delivered in September. So I'm technically a hoarder too, though it hasn't arrived yet. I'll probably sell it as I have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Yup, better off with stocks, precious metals, bitcoin etc. A quiet portfolio.

...that said, I did accidentally order a 501st battle pack (it was in my basket on Lego.com and I forgot it was there while rushing through an order of the NES set) that is due to be delivered in September. So I'm technically a hoarder too, though it hasn't arrived yet. I'll probably sell it as I have one already.

I can imagine that there is a lot of 501st and aat sets out there just sitting in attic's now, waiting a few years to hopefully go up in price.

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    I can imagine that there is a lot of 501st and aat sets out there just sitting in attic's now, waiting a few years to hopefully go up in price.

Guaranteed. I'd say there was a stock up with the hope that people wouldn't be willing to wait for the next wave of stock. I'm glad that people are griping about stock but willing to wait rather than paying twice and three times the price for the battle packs. Like people hoarding toilet roll in March, I have no sympathy for these people, depriving others of the choice to purchase is not a business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I bought 2. I for myself and one for my Clone Wars mad nearly 4 year old. He has been playing with it since he got it. Gives me joy that sets in the attic don't

I bought 2. I for myself and one for my Clone Wars mad nearly 4 year old. He has been playing with it since he got it. Gives me joy that sets in the attic don't

That's part of my plan too, I have loads of sets that I've set aside for my kid (currently one year old) and others that are for me. I'm thinking I'll buy that Barracuda Bay set and keep it for him as that sort of pirate ship doesn't come around all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thanks for the comments. took the advice and bought myself the James Bond to build instead. Arrives on Friday :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’d recommend the Chiron it’s fun to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Has anyone seen the Lego NES

Has anyone seen the Lego NES

I have it at home, it's a brilliant set.

People have worked out how to change the scenery within the television as well, changed it out for different Mario levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bespin Duel out today on Lego US store as a regional exclusive. Was meant to be an event exclusive hence the regional nature of it.

It's a bit overpriced per brick but it's such an iconic scene. Picked one up this morning. Can't see them lasting too long.

Bespin Duel out today on Lego US store as a regional exclusive. Was meant to be an event exclusive hence the regional nature of it.

It's a bit overpriced per brick but it's such an iconic scene. Picked one up this morning. Can't see them lasting too long.

How did you pick one up from the US store?

How did you pick one up from the US store?

Used Addresspal :)

Ahh, you'll have to pay customs too I assume? Must look into that

Ahh, you'll have to pay customs too I assume? Must look into that

If it's under a certain value, it misses customs charges and I've generally never been caught by items under $50 in value so fingers crossed.

Customs would be tiny or non existent though on a €30 value item as they don't collect sub €6 customs charges either.

Thanks for the heads up, Marc. Realised I have an AddressPal account and rushed through an order, currently on Back Order but that's fine. Was all ready to order the parts from Bricklink.

Thanks for the heads up, Marc. Realised I have an AddressPal account and rushed through an order, currently on Back Order but that's fine. Was all ready to order the parts from Bricklink.

That's great to hear, glad you got sorted. :)

I wasn't sure last night if the order would process with an AddressPal and Irish payment card (as some sites won't accept them), but was delighted it did.

It's such a neat little set and so iconic.

That's great to hear, glad you got sorted. :)

I wasn't sure last night if the order would process with an AddressPal and Irish payment card (as some sites won't accept them), but was delighted it did.

It's such a neat little set and so iconic.

It says 60 days to ship on Back Order so it'll be a nice little Halloween treat :)

It's a great little set, as you say, iconic. I was all ready to have the set without the minifigures and try and scrounge up a Cloud City Luke at some later date but I'm delighted that I don't have to settle. I typically don't display many dioramas, preferring self-contained sets like spaceships, cars etc but I'll make an exception for this. The film that taught me that the bad guys can win and you just have to keep trying, good lesson to learn as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I'm new to collecting lego but like the look of this set.

When ordering from lego with addresspal, where are you meant to put the APW code addresspal gives you ?

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I'm new to collecting lego but like the look of this set.

When ordering from lego with addresspal, where are you meant to put the APW code addresspal gives you ?

I put the APW Code and the first line of the address (eg. 15 blah blah street) into the 'street name' part of the address field. Some of the bits didn't match but as long as all of the address that is on your AddressPal, I'm sure it'll be fine.

The postcode (if you needed it) is the second to last line but with the two letters removed (mine is NJ and then a number, the post code is the number part).

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Listed as Out of Stock already. I hadn't even thought of AddressPal and was going to ask one of my US friends to order it for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

If it's under a certain value, it misses customs charges and I've generally never been caught by items under $50 in value so fingers crossed.

Customs would be tiny or non existent though on a €30 value item as they don't collect sub €6 customs charges either.
    A heads up on this - it's going to change come 1st of July 2021 - you'll always pay vat for stuff coming in from outside the EU.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

It accepted and confirmed my order but then cancelled it later :( Must have been an issue with using my Irish card to pay.

Didn't notice the cancellation email until now so I missed out on it.

There's a newer version of the death star final duel on the US site as well. Is that also exclusive or will it come to the Irish version eventually ?

Gyan84 wrote: »
    There's a newer version of the death star final duel on the US site as well. Is that also exclusive or will it come to the Irish version eventually ?

Currently out of stock on the Irish Lego store unfortunately. I'm sure it'll come back in September or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

What card did you use? I tried this morning as well with AP and my revolut card but they cancelled the order an hour later.

What card did you use? I tried this morning as well with AP and my revolut card but they cancelled the order an hour later.

Used the same. I did order at 5am this morning and havent had it cancelled.

I used my Visa Debit and it doesn't seem to have been cancelled. Though, because it's on Back Order the money hasn't been taken yet I think. They may cancel it later.

[EDIT]: just had my order cancelled. They mentioned in the email it was a problem processing my address but they mentioned cancelling all orders through re-mailers like AddressPal so boo-urns.

• Advertisement

just had my order cancelled. They mentioned in the email it was a problem processing my address but they mentioned cancelling all orders through re-mailers like AddressPal so boo-urns.

I randomly checked the page again and it was in stock but this time it cancelled for the same reason.

I still have two pending charges even both orders have been cancelled by Lego. Will that sort itself out or do I need to contact them ?

Advertisement