Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I randomly checked the page again and it was in stock but this time it cancelled for the same reason.

I still have two pending charges even both orders have been cancelled by Lego. Will that sort itself out or do I need to contact them ?

From my own experience, they only take the money when the order gets boxed up and dispatched. They fairly hammered home the point that 'no money has been taken at this time' when I was on back order.

Back to Bricklink I go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am seriously thinking that I just might procure myself that beautiful Barracuda Bay pirates set.

I was just a bit too old for the LEGO Pirates the first time around (I was about 14 when the Pirates range was first launched and starting to “move on” from LEGO, but still had my Legoland town, space and castle stuff in my room, gathering dust and was building some Technic sets at the time). This would be the perfect opportunity finally acquire one....

...but space is now a serious issue. I have a large 2 bed apartment and LEGO can take up a lot of space. My OH is pushing me to disassemble some of my older sets and box - or, God forbid, even sell them...

JupiterKid wrote: »
    ...but space is now a serious issue. I have a large 2 bed apartment and LEGO can take up a lot of space. My OH is pushing me to disassemble some of my older sets and box - or, God forbid, even sell them...

I was in the same boat (so to speak) and it ended up being a very refreshing turn of events. I made up a list on Brickset of every set I have and picked out the ones that I couldn't see myself building again or that I didn't want to save for any future children. Shed almost a third of my collection and I do the same thing every year or so. Keeps my collection lean but everything I have is important for some real reason. Did a cull there a few weeks back and was surprised (as I was putting them on Adverts) that I wasn't going to miss the ones going up.

Sets that I really wanted to buy, did so, built, enjoyed and then after a few weeks or a month or two, took apart, bagged up and stored and then eventually sold without regret. It's taken me really picky though, entire waves of sets might pass me by but it leaves more cash for bigger sets. That first sale of sets paid for the huge Hogwarts set and the current ones might pay for Diagon Alley... though I'm not 100% on that one, might just wait for the rumoured Batwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

A few updates to my Fort setup, and several hours later playing around with wanted lists on bricklink.

tnGGh9Bm.jpg , my custom Captain Benteen fig

tl6MwZ8m.jpg , trying my hand at a gatling gun, I think its brickarms who do a solid one piece but couldnt get it posted here

1GSqHjHm.jpg, first attempt at a confederate solider

oqBakv6m.jpg, and into the lockup he goes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Rhyme wrote: »
    I have it at home, it's a brilliant set.

People have worked out how to change the scenery within the television as well, changed it out for different Mario levels.

Thanks I am considering atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Lego have finally revealed the Diagon Alley set, available from tomorrow for €399

https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/diagon-alley-75978

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Lego have finally revealed the Diagon Alley set, available from tomorrow for €399

https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/diagon-alley-75978

Looks very nice - a good splash of colour.

Looking at the video it appears it might fold in on itself to make the alley. For display purposes though you'd probably keep it as per the photo on the box.

People are guessing that there will a matching (size-wise) Gringotts for the wave of sets next year. I'd put money on it, it's the most recognisable part of the alley, a considerable build (vaults as well?) and would top off the set coming out tomorrow.

I'm going to give it a miss. I'm keeping away from playsets at the moment and will probably only return to them when my kid is old enough to join in. Display sets only for the time being. I will, however, try to source a Gilderoy Lockhart and Lucius Malfoy from someone on Bricklink :)

People are guessing that there will a matching (size-wise) Gringotts for the wave of sets next year. I'd put money on it, it's the most recognisable part of the alley, a considerable build (vaults as well?) and would top off the set coming out tomorrow.

I'm going to give it a miss. I'm keeping away from playsets at the moment and will probably only return to them when my kid is old enough to join in. Display sets only for the time being. I will, however, try to source a Gilderoy Lockhart and Lucius Malfoy from someone on Bricklink :)

Hey Rhyme - Gringotts offers massive potential for Lego - it could be really cool. Curious, how do you differentiate between what you call a playset and a display set?

Curious, how do you differentiate between what you call a playset and a display set?

It's definitely a sliding scale as all Lego offers the potential for play. This Diagon Alley set is certainly a playset by my reckoning as it contains spaces for recreating scenes from the films, minifigures and printed pieces to aid in such play and is minifigure-scaled to encourage such play. The set looks fantastic so does have some 'display' qualities but it's overwhelmed by the 'play' qualities. Any kid presented with this would immediately want to play with it. All of this is also dependant on the person building the set, an adult may buy it, set up the figures as a diorama and leave it.

The giant Hogwarts Castle set I would see edging towards a display set as it is a lot harder to play with due to its size and weight. If Diagon Alley is 8 parts play to 2 parts display for play, then Hogwarts Castle is 4 parts play to 6 parts display.

This is all completely personal, I've never even put numbers on it before.

• Advertisement

It's definitely a sliding scale as all Lego offers the potential for play. This Diagon Alley set is certainly a playset by my reckoning as it contains spaces for recreating scenes from the films, minifigures and printed pieces to aid in such play and is minifigure-scaled to encourage such play. The set looks fantastic so does have some 'display' qualities but it's overwhelmed by the 'play' qualities. Any kid presented with this would immediately want to play with it. All of this is also dependant on the person building the set, an adult may buy it, set up the figures as a diorama and leave it.

The giant Hogwarts Castle set I would see edging towards a display set as it is a lot harder to play with due to its size and weight. If Diagon Alley is 8 parts play to 2 parts display for play, then Hogwarts Castle is 4 parts play to 6 parts display.

This is all completely personal, I've never even put numbers on it before.

Interesting thinking and it makes sense. The new wall art range is obviously all about display and nothing about play. The same is true of the lego architecture range, which I collect.

I like the modular buildings though and I think they cover both play and display - I don't play with them but my kids love to (provided they don't break them!).

Do you have a favourite display set?

Interesting thinking and it makes sense. The new wall art range is obviously all about display and nothing about play. The same is true of the lego architecture range, which I collect.

I like the modular buildings though and I think they cover both play and display - I don't play with them but my kids love to (provided they don't break them!).

Do you have a favourite display set?

The modular buildings are brilliant, leaning towards the 'play' but some of them are very beautiful, so, personally I'd give them at least some credit in the 'display' column :)

My favourite changes all the time, currently it's my Orthanc set. Full of detail but as a solid display piece it's great. Very imposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSRPm5DWQ8 , its some length when its all laid out. Looks impressive

No sign of the Razor Crest in any Irish bricks and mortar stores this morning, queried some, got some fairly unhelpful responses (we will put it on our website if we get it in stock) and bought it on the Lego website instead.

I've been hot and cold on the set since it was shown off earlier this year but after re-watching the series, I took the plunge. My on-call bonus from work paid for it as well as a trip to IKEA :)

No sign of the Razor Crest in any Irish bricks and mortar stores this morning, queried some, got some fairly unhelpful responses (we will put it on our website if we get it in stock) and bought it on the Lego website instead.

I've been hot and cold on the set since it was shown off earlier this year but after re-watching the series, I took the plunge. My on-call bonus from work paid for it as well as a trip to IKEA :)

Nice! I woke up this morning to the rather strange news that 2 of them were on the way to me. Guess I preordered twice. Thankfully, I know someone who'll take the extra one.

Looking forward to getting it in hand and building it. I may built the AT-ST as well I guess

Nice! I woke up this morning to the rather strange news that 2 of them were on the way to me. Guess I preordered twice. Thankfully, I know someone who'll take the extra one.

Looking forward to getting it in hand and building it. I may built the AT-ST as well I guess

More shelves!

More shelves!

That seems to be my catch phrase! There's an unhealthy amount of sets on the office floor at the moment

That seems to be my catch phrase! There's an unhealthy amount of sets on the office floor at the moment

I bought two identical tv consoles and nestled them together up in the attic space. The few graphic novels under one side, DVD's, CD's and sets in bags that I'm selling on the right. Lovely wide display area on top, Orthanc, Batmobile etc. I'm now buying sets again so it'll be a pick and choose scenario unless I can find another option (shelves would be hard up there). Currently looking at other peoples displays for ideas, lots of good ideas out there and lots of 'SPLAT! everything I own' as well. Not interested in the latter :)

I bought two identical tv consoles and nestled them together up in the attic space. The few graphic novels under one side, DVD's, CD's and sets in bags that I'm selling on the right. Lovely wide display area on top, Orthanc, Batmobile etc. I'm now buying sets again so it'll be a pick and choose scenario unless I can find another option (shelves would be hard up there). Currently looking at other peoples displays for ideas, lots of good ideas out there and lots of 'SPLAT! everything I own' as well. Not interested in the latter :)

Sounds good, I assume the units have shelves under them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Opened over 50 new sets today from boxes in my attic. Basically was running out of space so broke down the boxes and all sets and instructions together in big zip lock bags to be kept in 80L plastic bins. I made a decent dent in the pile but still a lot to go. I won't some of open the UCS or large D2C as I might keep those boxes until I'm ready to build and display. I have about 100 star wars sets too that I'm in 2 minds about. Thats a lot of LBG pieces! Now I have a Harry Potter bin, Ninjago and oriental themed sets bin, trains, city which is useful. I have so many brickheadsz, speed champions, ideas too that I likely build and break down for MOC parts. No idea why I even bought them. Spent way too much on Lego over the last few years! I have slowed down and become stricter about my decisions but they keep making such cool stuff!

• Advertisement

Sounds good, I assume the units have shelves under them?

Yup, modular too so I've fitted the drawers and shelves to fit specific sets of items. If I change out what I'm storing, I can move around the shelves and such. They're somewhat glossy so the two blend into one quite nicely.
    Opened over 50 new sets today...

Mother of God. Photo of the pile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Opened over 50 new sets today from boxes in my attic. Basically was running out of space so broke down the boxes and all sets and instructions together in big zip lock bags to be kept in 80L plastic bins. I made a decent dent in the pile but still a lot to go. I won't some of open the UCS or large D2C as I might keep those boxes until I'm ready to build and display. I have about 100 star wars sets too that I'm in 2 minds about. Thats a lot of LBG pieces! Now I have a Harry Potter bin, Ninjago and oriental themed sets bin, trains, city which is useful. I have so many brickheadsz, speed champions, ideas too that I likely build and break down for MOC parts. No idea why I even bought them. Spent way too much on Lego over the last few years! I have slowed down and become stricter about my decisions but they keep making such cool stuff!
    how much you reckon you spent on lego over the years?

RGARDINR wrote: »
    how much you reckon you spent on lego over the years?

I have everything on an excel sheet. In short... too much!

I have everything on an excel sheet. In short... too much!

Have you uploaded your collection onto brickset? They give you a rough cost of all the sets based off RRP. It scares me looking at it sometimes....

Have you uploaded your collection onto brickset? They give you a rough cost of all the sets based off RRP. It scares me looking at it sometimes....

I have the rrp and what I actually paid etc... €xx, about 200k parts and 900 minifigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I have the rrp and what I actually paid etc... €xx, about 200k parts and 900 minifigs.

Sure its what you enjoy, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

I'd love to see a separate thread for photos of all of your collections

That's very organised... Were you doing that all along or did you at some point go back and catalogue everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

pcadhain wrote: »
    I'd love to see a separate thread for photos of all of your collections

Not enough room on boards servers. It is possible to share a list via brickset.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Not quite a bargain alert, but noticed the prices on the Lego store are a few euros off (due to the VAT decrease) - ie the Barracuda Pirates set is 196.74 rather than 199.99

Probably only a matter of time until they correct them back up.

Advertisement