Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Why do they have two green plate pieces in the pic? I understand the brick separator (even though it isn't necessary to show it in the pic) but why the green plates?

Is that just the pieces that lift the car enough so when its displayed it doesn't roll? Lego always keen to show everything that's included.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭HorseSea

May be something to do with when you remove the engine, something to sit it on? ? Just guessing. Green does seem an odd colour for this set.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

Argos have a 20% discount on pretty much all of their super hero line at the moment.

The only problem is that their prices are so high in the first place that the discount only brings them back down to around the same price as the lego website.

Argos can be such a pain with their pricing, it's all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

friso59 wrote: »
    Argos have a 20% discount on pretty much all of their super hero line at the moment.

The only problem is that their prices are so high in the first place that the discount only brings them back down to around the same price as the lego website.

Argos can be such a pain with their pricing, it's all over the place.

They're completely off the wall at the moment. 250 for the Arcos truck!! They seem over priced by at least 20-25% across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Got an unexpected gift of €100 last night to buy some SW: TFA Lego and have my €6 Smyth's voucher from the Herald. Not sure whether to get the TFA Falcon or Poe's X-Wing and something else.

So many choices, so does anyone have any recommendations or opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Greg81

Rael wrote: »
    Got an unexpected gift of €100 last night to buy some SW: TFA Lego and have my €6 Smyth's voucher from the Herald. Not sure whether to get the TFA Falcon or Poe's X-Wing and something else.

So many choices, so does anyone have any recommendations or opinions?

I would by this:

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/action-figures-playsets/c-775/lego-star-wars/p-15291/lego-star-wars-force-awakens-first-order-special-forces-tie-fighter-75101/

Guys any idea how long you have to wait for an account activation from brickset.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hey guys I'm just looking for a little help. As a kid I absolutely loved Lego and was up in my mams the other day looking for some old golf clubs I used to have and came across some of my old Lego blocks from the early 90ss, a red bucket with the standard blocks :)

So I've said feck it I get paid next week so might pick up a set for old times sake. I'm going to Smyth's tomorrow to have a poke around and see does anything catch my eye.

If anyone can suggest a nice set I'd be delighted. I'm going to build and leaving it sitting on a shelf in the office :)

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Lego Wall-E maybe?

Spocker wrote: »

He could be a winner :) I spotted the Simpsons house and I'd love that at some stage but a little pricey at the minute !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Bennys spaceship!

• Advertisement

madalig12 wrote: »
    Bennys spaceship!

Do you have a link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Welcome (back) to your new favourite, wallet-shattering hobby. Whatever you pick up is likely going to be a gateway drug, so be forewarned :)

Here is a link to Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

If you were into LEGO during the 80s then this could be a winner, as it is a love letter to the Classic Space era. It's worth checking out The LEGO Movie first to give youself some context to the build (it's also just a really, really good movie).

If you're trying to stay sensible about spending then I'd echo the suggestion of Wall-E, above, but also suggest the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters. Or, if you're into cars and could stretch the budget just a little bit further, there is a new Ferrari F40 set.

If you decide to give sensibility the heave-ho, well, there are more options than I can count, but here are some suggestions:
    • The Modular Buildings are a staple of adult collections owing to their intracies and level of detail. Also, the different buildings can be connected to create a town. I believe the only set in this line that Smyths have is the Pet Shop, but it is also one of the best
    • If you're into Superheroes, you can pick up The Tumbler from the Dark Knight Trilogy
    • As we're coming up to Christmas, it might be worth checking out the Winter Village line. This year's release is actually a re-release of the first ever set in the line, the Winter Toy Shop. That said, I don't think Smyths stocks this line
    • If you're into Star Wars, there are several huge sets available such as Boba Fett's Slave I

So, a few options :P As an aside, it's amazing how quickly you get desensitised to the price of LEGO. When I got back into the hobby I baulked at spending anything over €50 on a set, and now I rarely buy sets for under €100.

Welcome (back) to your new favourite, wallet-shattering hobby. Whatever you pick up is likely going to be a gateway drug, so be forewarned :)

Here is a link to Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

If you were into LEGO during the 80s then this could be a winner, as it is a love letter to the Classic Space era. It's worth checking out The LEGO Movie first to give youself some context to the build (it's also just a really, really good movie).

If you're trying to stay sensible about spending then I'd echo the suggestion of Wall-E, above, but also suggest the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters. Or, if you're into cars and could stretch the budget just a little bit further, there is a new Ferrari F40 set.

If you decide to give sensibility the heave-ho, well, there are more options than I can count, but here are some suggestions:
    • The Modular Buildings are a staple of adult collections owing to their intracies and level of detail. Also, the different buildings can be connected to create a town. I believe the only set in this line that Smyths have is the Pet Shop, but it is also one of the best
    • If you're into Superheroes, you can pick up The Tumbler from the Dark Knight Trilogy
    • As we're coming up to Christmas, it might be worth checking out the Winter Village line. This year's release is actually a re-release of the first ever set in the line, the Winter Toy Shop. That said, I don't think Smyths stocks this line
    • If you're into Star Wars, there are several huge sets available such as Boba Fett's Slave I

So, a few options :P As an aside, it's amazing how quickly you get desensitised to the price of LEGO. When I got back into the hobby I baulked at spending anything over €50 on a set, and now I rarely buy sets for under €100.

Thanks for that Nerco. I saw the Lego movie and loved it. After all I am the main character so everything is awesome :)

I think your right though and I can feel the collecter urge growing even before I've bought my first set !!

I think I'll pick up something along the lines of Walle, Spaceship, or Batcar. If I spot the Ghostbuster one I think that will be my first though.

Down the line I definitly see myself getting some of the bigger sets and like the look of the Simpsons stuff and the Death Star and Mellium Falcon. I'll just have to put a little bit of money aside every week and then treat myself :)

I also spotted the minifigs yesterday and I could see myself collecting a lot of those :)

Wallet shattering is right. The frequency and price of adult targeted sets is increasing every year. I think they're just on the cusp of pushing far more of the 300 euro plus sets this year. Ghostbusters HQ is rumoured at 350 euro and I'll probably be lusting after it. I see that pictures of the new modular bank are up on the usual places. On phone now so can't link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its a compatible set but Smyth's have a 900+piece Titanic which looks fantastic for €50.
    I saw it on display this week and am fighting with myself over buying it.:)

I've to get through a kreo enterprise/ Klingon bird of prey and a Lego Santa's workshop first.

Its a compatible set but Smyth's have a 900+piece Titanic which looks fantastic for €50.
    I saw it on display this week and am fighting with myself over buying it.:)

I've to get through a kreo enterprise/ Klingon bird of prey and a Lego Santa's workshop first.

Thanks for that. That seems very cheap for a set with so many pieces. Is it on sale ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That seems very cheap for a set with so many pieces. Is it on sale ?
    Been that price a few months.Its Oxford.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/lego-bricks/c-801/oxford-construction-sets/p-12939/oxford-titanic-construction-set/

Lego 10251

22088800365_e25a344821_c.jpg

I ended up picking up two Lego movie sets today even though I only went to look :D

Will go get Benny's Spaceship next time I'm near Smyth's !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

Anyone else going to the Brick 2015 show in Birmingham? Myself and the little man are going to go over and back for the day, but he doesn't know yet :)

Return flights with Ryanair: €30
    Tickets to the show: £42
    Airport Parking €8
    Diesel: ~€15

It's just over €100 for he day, which i think is great value. I can't wait to see my little boys face when we get there; theres free shuttle buses from the airport to the NEC

Anyone else going to the Brick 2015 show in Birmingham? Myself and the little man are going to go over and back for the day, but he doesn't know yet :)

Airport Parking €8

It's just over €100 for he day, which i think is great value. I can't wait to see my little boys face when we get there; theres free shuttle buses from the airport to the NEC

Plus food, drink and LEGO ;)

True, but we'd be eating that day anyways ;)

I'm not *planning* on buying any Lego*, especially not any retail sets. If I pickup anything it'll be something show specific, a memento, rather than buying for the sake of it

* I will, of course, have a flexible friend handy, just in case

* I will, of course, have a flexible friend handy, just in case
    I'm impressed by the willpower.
    Let's know what you buy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Airport Parking €8

Have you been before? How is it? I'm thinking of heading along to the one in London, but hadn't decided. It's £24 all out for me since I just need tickets, so maybe it'd be crazy not to.

Have you been before? How is it? I'm thinking of heading along to the one in London, but hadn't decided. It's £24 all out for me since I just need tickets, so maybe it'd be crazy not to.

This is my first time, and I'm doing it more for the "we have to go on an airplane for your surprise" effect with the little man, and it's proving reasonably cheap to do that.

If you only need the tickets, go for it :D

I'll post back here when we get back

This is my first time, and I'm doing it more for the "we have to go on an airplane for your surprise" effect with the little man, and it's proving reasonably cheap to do that.

If you only need the tickets, go for it :D

I'll post back here when we get back

What age is he?

What age is he?

He's just 5

On a side note, I've just scored a free Fast Track pass for the Airport from this thread :D

He's just 5

On a side note, I've just scored a free Fast Track pass for the Airport from this thread :D

Same as mine. Might look at London. Let's know how you get on. I worry that it could be a very long day for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thinking of getting the big bang theory set for the missus for Christmas, shes a big fan of the show, is the set a waste of money?

Advertisement