Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to ergo carrier

Options
  • 09-03-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All. I was hoping some one could sugest a worthy alternative to the ergo baby carrier. As I need two it is just working out too expensive. I tried all the irish second hand options but not much has shown up. So any help from you parents would be much appreciated. Not keen on slings. Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

You could get onto babywearing Ireland and hire 2 carriers/slings for 2 weeks for €15 to try out what you'd like before you buy? They have a Facebook page too, and there are groups you can join where people sell their second hand carriers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got my Ergo on Adverts.ie but I mostly use my baba sling as I can't close the Ergo on myself and can use the baba sling with my newborn and the 2 year old.

Alot of people like the me tai slings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Depending on the age of your kids, I'd say buy one Ergo, they do come up for around €60. Esp on the babywearing facebook page.

And for the other baby buy a Mai Tai or Mobi.

If you have 2 kids you could swap over, one might prefer a softer carrier etc

If you search for ' ssc sling or carrier on ebay you might get more versions. I just returned a tula and It was just as good as my ergo, its just bigger.

Theres a massive list of other carriers here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dFpNNWZCOVJndUNWaWNsN25wd2I1NHc6MQ#gid=0

I found the moby easier to manage on a smaller baby but the ergo is so fast from car seat to shops!

Dont be tempted to buy any of the Chinese knock offs from ebay, I admit I was before I bought my ergo but when I saw them, they are so dodgy. It seams like such an easy thing to copy but the one I saw was carrying the baby crocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Manduca is very similar it has a built in newborn insert so no need to buy that separately. These are very popular in Germany. I got one on eBay.de not so easy to do if you don't speak German though. There is a fb page for selling slings for uk and Ireland, just can't remember the name now but maybe a pervious poster knows what I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Manduca is very similar it has a built in newborn insert so no need to buy that separately. These are very popular in Germany. I got one on eBay.de not so easy to do if you don't speak German though. There is a fb page for selling slings for uk and Ireland, just can't remember the name now but maybe a pervious poster knows what I'm talking about?

Lucky I speak Gernab :-) that looks really good. Partner prefers the look of it. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I bought myself a Connecta carrier - so easy to put on and adjust. Btw I have a mei tai and 3x stretchy wraps, too and while they are great in many ways, there is a lot less messing around. I also find my connecta very comfortable. They are cheaper than most sscs. I don't know if all of them are like this, but mine can be turned inside out, so i can use it as a plain black carrier or the other side with the print (v nice looking, too)

I bought it from an Irish shop, but you can find out more here:
    http://www.connectababycarrier.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I had a jpmbb for when my little one was very small, but now she's older I mostly use a connecta. Someone below mentioned that they bought a sling on Ebay.de, really don't advise it as the fakes are very hard to tell from the real ones.

Go onto babywearingireland.ie or koalacubs.ie - both sell & rent slings, but you can get all the advice you need from them. Try to get to a sling meet if you can, then you could try on other peoples slings there and then or even just watch them in action. The only sling I bought new was my jpmbb, but that's because I wasn't in touch with the different sling groups - have since bought a ring sling, connecta & scootababy secondhand. Would love a mei tai, but I think my otherhalf would have a stroke if I came home with anymore slings haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

happydayz8 wrote: »

Lucky I speak Gernab :-) that looks really good. Partner prefers the look of it. Thanks!
    :) lol that's great. If you are getting one try not to get a black one as it fades very easy in the wash and starts to look old and tatty, apparently others colours don't have the same problem. That's the only negative I have about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

just contacted a German online shop. I can get a brand new Manduca for 80 on there. Hoping they will deliver to Ireland for a reasonable price. Couldn't find it any cheaper any where else. The connecta would work out at a similar price but I think I prefer the Manduca. I found one Ergo second hand but she wants EUR 75 + postage so I may pull out of that.
    Can any one that has seen both, Ergo and Manduca, tell me what they found the advantages and disadvantages of either?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

happydayz8 wrote: »
    just contacted a German online shop. I can get a brand new Manduca for 80 on there. Hoping they will deliver to Ireland for a reasonable price. Couldn't find it any cheaper any where else. The connecta would work out at a similar price but I think I prefer the Manduca. I found one Ergo second hand but she wants EUR 75 + postage so I may pull out of that.
    Can any one that has seen both, Ergo and Manduca, tell me what they found the advantages and disadvantages of either?

hi I was wondering if you got your manduca from the german site? If so could you pm the site please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I got my Manduca from babymaxi.com. They deliver to Ireland and were very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

ordered my Manduca off Amazon (I think it was the uk site, could have been de as well, not sure) - they delivered to Ireland.

Advertisement