Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone do Multimedia ?

• 09-03-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi! I'm in Leaving Cert and I really want to do Multimedia in DCU, I just want some first hand info from people who do it? What do you think of it? What do you like best and what don't you like? Any info would be appreciated :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I finished it last year, but it has changed a bit since then.
    I really liked the course, most people did, but you had to put in a lot of work outside class, so don't let the timetable fool you into thinking its easy. Its not the easiest to get a job after though. You really need to know what it is you want to go into and focus on that, as its so broad.

You can read the modules on the DCU site. The core things haven't changed, like video, audio, and web, they mostly got rid of unneeded modules, and made it so somethings like programming were taught more efficiently.

Some people in the course did get jobs, but those people worked to get connections and knew where they wanted to end up, so were able to work towards that. I know the main reason I haven't found a job yet is that I never found a particular area I liked more than others. So I haven't been able to build my portfolio in a certain direction like I should have.

Its hard to tell you everything you need to know, you have to ask more specific questions. Its a very likable course if you like working with computers and creating things, and working in teams. Like any course you want to do our research before hand, some people do go in not knowing what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

Son did this course, I believe the modules have since changed - which is probably good as he's still out of work since he graduated in May

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Camster 123

em do you think you could give a little more info? did he like it? what has changed? etc

Edited my post above.
    Heres the course subjects. You really have to ask more specific questions, sorry, we don't know what your looking for in a course. Different people enjoy different things

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Camster 123

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Edited my post above.
    Heres the course subjects. You really have to ask more specific questions, sorry, we don't know what your looking for in a course. Different people enjoy different things

Thanks so much, that's a perfectly reasonable point! ive been loooking in detail at the course, it's modules etc, and i see what the main stuff is, ive also looked at older multimedia dcu threads on here, but they are all at least two years old!

Basically I want to work creatively with computers, be it photo retouching, editing videos, or web design, but im not really sure which YET. I hope i don't fall under that umbrella of wanting to do everything..because i can be quite indecisive..

Is there much computer programming? In web design it's inevitable right? and will i need an expensive computer for final cut pro? I can't afford a mac, and i honestly don't want one, but are expensive tech important? Do they provide you with anything?

Plus, what sort of projects would you do? How could say editing a film fall under team work? Or building a simple site? I can see how directing a video or doing photo shoots could require teamwork, but is there solo projects too?

What is your experience with teachers? Are they engaging? Boring? Enthusiastic?

Thanks so much :D

• Advertisement

OK, thats fair enough. As programming goes, no its not very much, its pretty basic too. but it might seem like a lot when you start.
    Its inevitable if you want to do anything with websites. As the very basics of design still needs HTML and CSS (technically markup, not code), but to get interactive websites working with databases you will do Javascript, Mysql and Php. Again, not very in depth.

You don't need a fancy computer for everything, web and audio work aren't very demanding on computer, Image manipulation is a bit more demanding, but video work is very demanding. There are mac labs, but it can be hard to get a spot in there. Honestly , you will use mac so much you likely will end up at least wanting one by the end. While they are expensive I have to admit they are worth the money, lasting a lot better than most other laptops.

The college provides you with all the tech you need, But not having your own means more waiting your turn, and only working during office hours.

Everything requires teamwork, you'll be surprised. there are some solo projects too, but you MUST learn to work in teams, it can't be avoided, the things you mentioned, I can't imagine someone doing those alone.

We would edit in teams, Passing files back and forth, checking with each other, editing separate scenes, or just getting a fresh pair of eyes is important. Same with sites, we'd do different pages, work on different features. A director literally just tells actors how to do their job, supervises cameras and the editor, So you can't make a film without people doing lights, cameras, sound, script and storyboard supervising etc... same goes for photoshoots, which often are a lot more gear than just you and a camera.

The lecturers depend. Im not sure about newer ones. We had some great enthusiastic nice ones, some who ween't fussed. some who didn't seem to like us, and some who loved us all.

I think you need to look into how all these things are done really. Like when thinking about filmmaking watch behind the scenes content on dvds to get a sense of how many people are needed. Or theres tons of information on basic web design and photoshop online.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

I'm about to finish first year in Multimedia, and it's a brilliant course. If you're interested in all those things, you won't regret picking it. Basically everything Noodleworm said above applies. The Mac labs will be your second home, believe me!

Basically one of the changes to the course this year has been merging Audio and Video into one module, Digital Storytelling. Our lecturer told us this was done to put more emphasis on telling a story through our projects rather than getting too hung up on the technical aspects.

There are a lot of free hours, but when it gets to the middle of the semester you'll need to spend these working on your assignments. I'd also strongly advise you to get involved in the Media Production Society, as you get hands-on experience of radio and television with them and it allows you to add a lot to your CV.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about what we do in first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 anagramish

I can't make up my mind between journalism and multimedia.. what would you graduates and current students say on this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

Well they're very different courses. Do you know what kind of career you'd want in the future? We do a Writing for Media module in first year of Multimedia, but if you want a career in print journalism, you'd be better off picking the Journalism degree. Multimedia is very software-based, it ranges from audio and video to photography, animation and web design.

Advertisement