Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM's or lack of them in City Centre

Options
  • 09-03-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭

Today we decided to go to Waterford and do some shopping. The lack of ATM's in the city centre is a joke, at least 2 if not 3 have being removed leaving the two AIB ones at the opposite end of Robert's square. Not only are these far away from city square etc when I got to one there was around 10 people queuing and machines were low on funds. There needs to be one installed in City Square or ones near it restored. People want people to shop local when they make it as difficult as possible to get money to spend. We won't be back shopping for a long time, at least in Dublin you can access money to spend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

There's one in Dunnes Stores city square, no? As a student, I dont really mind which banks atm it is because I don't get charged :p

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

There's one in Dunnes Stores city square, no? As a student, I dont really mind which banks atm it is because I don't get charged :p
    Yep there's one in city square in dunnes so that's spot on...complete joke as most as broken majority of time but most shops give cash back these days so not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is it in the shop or at the entrance, if not near the door then its useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is it in the shop or at the entrance, if not near the door then its useless.

The ATM in Dunnes is hidden in a corner - left-hand side as you enter . - on 2 occasions that I wanted €20 cash , it only had €50's in stock , and more than me were disappointed .

correct that 3 atms have been removed . - one opposite P. Marks and two others on Barronstrand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When TSB pulled out of Awundel Square they really should have left the ATM, the place is just an empty shell now. I'm sure access could have been arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

God we have a lot to be complaining about , surely the walk wouldn't kill you now would It.Your telling everybody your shopping experience was ruined by lack of ATMs ? We have enough problems in our city without worrying about such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

You can use your card in just about every shop in the city. Fucking idiotic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

decies wrote: »
    God we have a lot to be complaining about , surely the walk wouldn't kill you now would It.Your telling everybody your shopping experience was ruined by lack of ATMs ? We have enough problems in our city without worrying about such things.
    longshanks wrote: »
    You can use your card in just about every shop in the city. Fucking idiotic thread.

Well bully for you both! Now feck off! :p

longshanks wrote: »

Is it possible to exit the City Square Car Park without cash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yep, you can pay your car parking in the machine with a card.

There's a BOI machine in the women's Dunnes too, under the stairs, there's never anyone at it, also one in Shaws at the door.

Dont know why theres always a queue at the AIB on the quay, must be giving out special money.

I hate using the bank machine in Dublin, unless its inside a bank foyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes you can use cards in every shops but there is a charge every time you do it. Its largely major retails that only give cash back which isn't much good when you not in those stores.
    We have enough problems in our city without worrying about such things.

We do and one is that in the busiest area ie City Square area there is no obvious ATM's to people who don't know the areas to well. There is 3 in the square in Dungarvan and what 4 in the main city centre of Waterford. Nobody else see an issue here...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

bank serviced ATMs are becoming a thing of the past,
    the only ATMs that will stand of the future will be shop managed

What this means is if there is no money in the shops we end up with no money in the ATMs

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Yes you can use cards in every shops but there is a charge every time you do it. Its largely major retails that only give cash back which isn't much good when you not in those stores.

nearly every shop takes Credit & Debit cards. Give cash back up to E500. why is there a need for bank machines at all. and customers are not charged for transactions, the business is, hoping you will spend some of your cash back there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Not everyone uses cards all the time. I use my card when im stuck for cash, but always prefer to pay by cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

jennygirl wrote: »

nearly every shop takes Credit & Debit cards. Give cash back up to E500. why is there a need for bank machines at all. and customers are not charged for transactions, the business is, hoping you will spend some of your cash back there

Customers are charged now for every transaction with a laser card, 15cent per transaction unless your account has more than 3k in it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

bank charges are having a major effect on pos card usage. there is a dip around when the charges are taken every quater then it goes back to nearly normal around payday! the banks have really shot themselves in the foot.
    I admit i wouldn't think of handing over a card for anything less a tenner and asking for cash back. i know it costs the shop money so i wouldnt put them in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

I Know what the OP is saying where we have less ATM's than we did before and it is a hassle when branches close down , especially city center ones.
    Personally I'd like one of the Bank Halls like the pic below. But with machines that do all transactions i.e. lodgements, withdrawals etc.
    Bank of Ire have one in Dublin and their all over America. I'm not comparing Waterford to either, I just think their a good idea.
    11087256_21d8a877db.jpg

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    bank charges are having a major effect on pos card usage. there is a dip around when the charges are taken every quater then it goes back to nearly normal around payday! the banks have really shot themselves in the foot.
    I admit i wouldn't think of handing over a card for anything less a tenner and asking for cash back. i know it costs the shop money so i wouldnt put them in that position.

Bank of Ireland charge me 28c per transaction , so shopping in City Square can be quite expensive , when you take this into account .

A typical visit to the square would involve average 7-8 transactions , including parking & eating .

Some shops in local towns do not accept card unless the amount been spent is around €10 .
    But spending less , should not cost the shop money , if the manage their business correctly .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A typical visit to the square would involve average 7-8 transactions , including parking & eating .

Really, a typical trip is 7-8 transactions? You dont HAVE to park in City Square, they are very expensive for this, you could easily park in a residential street like Castle Street or maybe Jail Street and pay less for the ticket and walk the way. And you dont have to eat in City Sqaure because Kylemore is one of the most expensive shops in town and there are cheaper alternatives (Adeles for example). Sounds like you just need to consider your options a bit more rather than being a slave to the shopping experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

I Know what the OP is saying where we have less ATM's than we did before and it is a hassle when branches close down , especially city center ones.
    Personally I'd like one of the Bank Halls like the pic below. But with machines that do all transactions i.e. lodgements, withdrawals etc.
    Bank of Ire have one in Dublin and their all over America. I'm not comparing Waterford to either, I just think their a good idea.
    11087256_21d8a877db.jpg

Think they've just installed these in AIB, The Quay. Dead handy but of course they can't be accessed late Friday afternoon, Saturday or Sunday with the bank being closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I really don't understand this thread. Considering the size of Waterford Town centre there are plenty of ATMs. I lived in Dublin and the amount of ATMs in large shopping areas like Grafton Street and O'Connell Street is about proportionate to the amount in our town centre. I think the problem here is people expecting to have ATMs on every single street corner and that's not going to happen. Perhaps the locations of these ATMs are not the best in some circumstances but you're not going to have to walk for more than 2 minutes to the nearest one while in town and that's nothing to complain about. I've lived in areas bigger than Waterford with far less ATMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I really don't understand this thread. Considering the size of Waterford Town centre there are plenty of ATMs. I lived in Dublin and the amount of ATMs in large shopping areas like Grafton Street and O'Connell Street is about proportionate to the amount in our town centre. I think the problem here is people expecting to have ATMs on every single street corner and that's not going to happen. Perhaps the locations of these ATMs are not the best in some circumstances but you're not going to have to walk for more than 2 minutes to the nearest one while in town and that's nothing to complain about. I've lived in areas bigger than Waterford with far less ATMs.

The problem here is lazyness, in Limerick City Centre there is probably the same number of ATMs and the city is twice the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

But spending less , should not cost the shop money , if the manage their business correctly .

every laser transaction is 25c for a shop and visa/mastercard is 3% of transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Dont normally use the two internal ones, but last time saw sign up that you can withdraw up to €1750 or some big sum like that.

Guess this only applies to ptsb customers, very high limit, normally round 700 yo yos

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

11087256_21d8a877db.jpg
    both BOI are like this now they have the machines for withdrawals and lodgements, it is pretty handy. But there only doing it to cut down on staff which isnt so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

O Riain wrote: »
    The problem here is lazyness, in Limerick City Centre there is probably the same number of ATMs and the city is twice the size.

People will often circle car parks a number of times just to get close to the door which would have taken more time than walking a hundred yards. People are getting lazy I must admit. A couple of weeks ago someone was whingeing about walking from Harvey Normans to B&Q FFS. They even suggested making these shopping centres into a courtyard design to cut down on the distance they have to walk.
    My mother had to carry the weeks shopping half a mile home when I was a youngster and people now complain about walking the length of one street to find an ATM ?
    Remember the days when you had to have your money in your wallet on a Friday as there was no banking facility until Monday ?

LAZY [EMAIL="BAST@RDS"]BAST@RDS[/EMAIL] (not all of you !)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭da6xsi

Im sorry now but from either city squares front entrances you are within a minute walking distance of an aib atm.

Its pure and utter laziness if you find it an issue and an inconvenience for a 5 minute trip to take out your money

Pointless thread the day i find a walk like that too much and need to come on a forum and give out about it i hope someone close to me slaps sense into me pronto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

There's an aib machine in Sam McCauleys, down the back.

The most cash back I've ever got with debit card in supermarkets was only €100

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

The biggest reason for lower ATM numbers is scumbags putting scammers on them or getting a JCB and ripping them out the flaming wall.

Solve that problem and you have more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Not including ATMs inside shops the City center has 4 ATMs is that correct?

Advertisement