If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Onkyo 707

Options
  • 09-03-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My Onkyo 707 that I bought from you a few years back is acting up. I have no audio on any channel. I have picture just fine though.

Only getting one click on power up and not the second for the speakers kicking in.

A quick google possibly points to a known issue with the HDMI board.

Anyway, what do you recommend as this bad boy is out of warranty but I probably couldn't afford a new one!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Techno,

Sorry to hear about the amp :(

We could have it sent of to Genserve for you.  They deal with all Onkyo repairs.

There is an estimate fee of £40.  This comes of your final bill though.  So say if the repair comes to £80 you only owe us the remaining £40. 

If you're happy enough just get the unit sent up to us and we'll take it on from there :)

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey Chris, thanks. How do I get the amp to you and what's the typical turnaround time for standard repairs?

What sort of warranty is on those 707s?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hey Chris, thanks. How do I get the amp to you and what's the typical turnaround time for standard repairs?

What sort of warranty is on those 707s?
    Techno,

from memory there was a 3 year warranty with the 707 series (it could be 2 years, but I think it was 3) however I have not heard of any HDMI board issue on the 707 - there was a batch issue with some 6 series units - however checking our records we don't appear to have credited or have had any issues on the 707 whatsoever!

My personal first port of call before shipping the unit back to us would be to really ensure that there are no 'short circuits' which would result in the speakers cutting out - if that fails then it's time to panic and hit the bubble wrap!

Onkyo's service agent in the UK are normally quite good on turnaround but at the moment I understand that there is a bit of a backlog so we just could not quote you a time - but do keep us posted if we can assist.

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hey John.

I bought the amp approx Oct 09, 30th birthday present. I'm getting on so warranty gone at this stage surely.

It could very well not be the hdmi board and hopefully its not. That's just something that returned in goggle when I was searching for fixes!

Ill do some more testing over the next day or two but I think its internal. The my setup hasn't changed, in fact the amp has had little usage sincethe baby arrived!

Lastly, how bad is that backlog? Obviously if I have to send it off I'd want it to be for the shortest time possible!

Hey John.

I bought the amp approx Oct 09, 30th birthday present. I'm getting on so warranty gone at this stage surely.

It could very well not be the hdmi board and hopefully its not. That's just something that returned in goggle when I was searching for fixes!

Ill do some more testing over the next day or two but I think its internal. The my setup hasn't changed, in fact the amp has had little usage sincethe baby arrived!

Lastly, how bad is that backlog? Obviously if I have to send it off I'd want it to be for the shortest time possible!
    Techno,

I've checked and even if the warranty was a 3 year warranty your 707 would still be out of warranty :( - do check all your connections - the quickest method is to disconnect all speakers and make sure there are no stray strands of cable floating around - reset the receiver then switch it on - connect the speakers one by one and if the same issue recurs the issue is probably on that specific speaker or cable - if it does not work with any speaker - it's probably an issue in the receiver.

On the exact time taken for service - I'm really sorry but I just can't promise a time as the service agent isn't in our control and of course it depends on if it requires parts etc - as we send the unit to Genserve in the Uk who are Onkyo's authorised agent shipping to and from Genserve will take approx a week - so you have to add that onto any reasonable time.

Keep us posted and we will do our best to assist,
    ATVB,

J

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

That's all bang on John. Ill test over the next few days and we'll take it from there!

I'm 99% sure you'll be getting a 14kg amp in the post ;-)

That's all bang on John. Ill test over the next few days and we'll take it from there!

I'm 99% sure you'll be getting a 14kg amp in the post ;-)
    14Kgs!
    Bonanza for An Post!

(drop me a line before you ship - as we may be able to arrange to get one of our guys to meet up somewhere suitable to avoid shipping charges and damage to the beast!) 

ATVB,

John Mc

Will do John, defo.

I did quickly stick the parcel dimensions and weight into parcel2go. Came out at 14 euro if I did it right!

Will do John, defo.

I did quickly stick the parcel dimensions and weight into parcel2go. Came out at 14 euro if I did it right!
    Techno - its not the expense - its more the danger of the unit being damaged I'm worried about - do you have the original packaging by any chance?

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

I've no original packaging unfortunately. Was thinking about possible damage alright. Ill see what boxes and padding I have at home.

• Advertisement

I've no original packaging unfortunately. Was thinking about possible damage alright. Ill see what boxes and padding I have at home.
    Hey TechnoFreek.

No worries. Keep us posted ;)

Right. Well at least I now know what caused the failure. My sixteen month old managed to squeeze a one coin cent coin through the vents at the top.

IMAG0597_zpsc64683b9.jpg

IMAG0601_zps22f61a17.jpg

Right. Well at least I now know what caused the failure. My sixteen month old managed to squeeze a one coin cent coin through the vents at the top.
    AARRRGGHHHH :eek:

I take it once the coin was removed it is still faulty?

AARRRGGHHHH :eek:

I take it once the coin was removed it is still faulty?

Yeah. Still faulty after removing. In the process of organising some packaging and ill get it off to yourselves then

Yeah. Still faulty after removing. In the process of organising some packaging and ill get it off to yourselves then
    ....Following your posts with interest - however given the circumstances we are a little unsure at this stage if you are sending us the Onkyo or your sixteen month old? :eek:

(jeez really sorry 'about that Techno - we'll do our best with Onkyo for you (don't forget to give us a shout before you ship as we could try to meet up to grab it to prevent damage.. )

We'll keep you posted,

ATVB,
    John Mc

Thanks John. No defo the amp ill be sending. Sure my sixteen month old doesnt have a built in dsp!

Yeah once packaged I'll give you a shout first and take it from there.

Probably be the weekend at this rate.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.