Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good lake for early season wet fly fishing

Options
  • 09-03-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

As above, could any one you recomend a good lake for wet fly fishing when the weather picks up? I only ever fly fish a few times a year so wouldn't have the greatest cast. Am thinking wet fly might be a bit more forgiving. I'm Dublin based I should say...any of the midland lakes good for wet fly?
    any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

mattcullen wrote: »
    As above, could any one you recomend a good lake for wet fly fishing when the weather picks up? I only ever fly fish a few times a year so wouldn't have the greatest cast. Am thinking wet fly might be a bit more forgiving. I'm Dublin based I should say...any of the midland lakes good for wet fly?
    any advice much appreciated

Corrib, two hours from you. Midland lakes are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Flysfisher wrote: »

Wow , that's some statement maybe you might like to share your conclusion with us or is it that you just can't fish them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Some statment to make :cool::eek: but saying that it takes a real angler to do well in our lakes:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mattcullen

cheers for the replies, so would it be fair to say the midland lakes would be a bit more challenging for the less skillfull/experienced in fly fishing?

they would indeed mate but they have some great trout in them:D

• Advertisement

guess i'll just have to try and get out and try a few of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

cheers for the replies, so would it be fair to say the midland lakes would be a bit more challenging for the less skillfull/experienced in fly fishing?

Ennell yes.
    Owel, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Anyone caught a brownie on wet fly yet, was planning to fish corrib this sat with duckfly.... lol looks like snow tonight will kill off that idea :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ennell yes.
    Owel, quite the opposite.

Never fly fished Owel before always used Tasmanians and Mepps
    How does it fish this time of year
    I know it's only been stocked so prob easy enough?
    I've a comp there at the end of month and was thinking of bringing the fly rod as well as spinning rod

guess i'll just have to try and get out and try a few of them!
    Great fish caught on ennel each year but IMO it requires a lot of local knowledge it's tough but rewarding . Owel is stocked regularly holds lots of competitions during year and it can blow hot and cold but nice lake nice surroundings etc .Then u have Lene cost 15 a day but its well stocked with some great fishing during year on various hatches , Sheelin is Sheelin widely regarded by many as a great wild trout fishery not a lake to fish once in blue moon IMO it also requires homework lol .

• Advertisement

Ennel is my local i had 2 5lb plus fish last year and 7 in the 3lb and 1 in the 4 pound bracket agree it is a hard fished lake but that's what i like about it. its just a great lake:D a good mate caught and 8lb plus out of sheelin as well last season great lake also:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Ennel is my local i had 2 5lb plus fish last year and 7 in the 3lb and 1 in the 4 pound bracket agree it is a hard fished lake but that's what i like about it. its just a great lake:D a good mate caught and 8lb plus out of sheelin as well last season great lake also:D

Trolling or fly or both?

Who's good to rent boats off on Ennell. I know of Lilliputt but they are a bit pricey compared to other lakes.

the 2 5s and 4 were trolling 4 of the 3lbs on the fly and the fish in sheelin was on a rapalla. yea your man in lillyput is all i no 60euro for a boat and engine quite expensive:(

the 2 5s and 4 were trolling 4 of the 3lbs on the fly and the fish in sheelin was on a rapalla. yea your man in lillyput is all i no 60euro for a boat and engine quite expensive:(

Great fishing.

twas my mates 8 lber made the front of the Irish angler during the summer:) twas a lovely trout he got it stuffed he will probably never seen an 8lber again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

twas my mates 8 lber made the front of the Irish angler during the summer:) twas a lovely trout he got it stuffed he will probably never seen an 8lber again :D

Well he'll see one 8lber...

Sorry catch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Duke of Speed

ardaire springs near waterford less than 2 hours from dublin, 3miles from motorway stress free drive down the motorway great facilities everything at your fingertips great friendly welcome from ned and the wife big fish and they can be a challenge check out Facebook and website spent time there last year had many relaxing day

Great Advertisement surely your next visit is free;)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Duke of Speed

ha ha havent been there in ten months if i did id send it on to you lol

• Advertisement

madred006 wrote: »
    Wow , that's some statement maybe you might like to share your conclusion with us or is it that you just can't fish them .

Ahhhhh no need for heart attack! Keep calm, all comes clear in the light if day....well maybe wrong choice of word! Ok not crap, that's a bit harsh. Yes they are good lakes, sure I fish them all the time. But the western ones are better.
    Owel is nearly all stocked fish, ennell trout are peculiar beings, lough lene is a stocked fishery if you like that well happy days its a good spot for mr Cullen, yes no?

Some statment to make :cool::eek: but saying that it takes a real angler to do well in our lakes:rolleyes:;)

I agree Ross, I agree.

Ahhhhh no need for heart attack! Keep calm, all comes clear in the light if day....well maybe wrong choice of word! Ok not crap, that's a bit harsh. Yes they are good lakes, sure I fish them all the time. But the western ones are better.
    Owel is nearly all stocked fish, ennell trout are peculiar beings, lough lene is a stocked fishery if you like that well happy days its a good spot for mr Cullen, yes no?

No doubting the western lakes are better quality, nothing like fooling a wild trout. But for someone starting out the smaller midland loughs would be ideal particularly Owel where you can fish relatively close to the shore till you get used to boating, and have a good chance of landing a fish or 10!.
    The big western lakes are vast and conditions can change rapidly, only for the experienced anglers really if unaccompanied.

Yes lol tight lines

No doubting the western lakes are better quality, nothing like fooling a wild trout. But for someone starting out the smaller midland loughs would be ideal particularly Owel where you can fish relatively close to the shore till you get used to boating, and have a good chance of landing a fish or 10!.
    The big western lakes are vast and conditions can change rapidly, only for the experienced anglers really if unaccompanied.

Loads of info lads, much appreciated. How about Ree?... a hard lough for a beginner too?

I had junior Irish trials lough bane years ago
    Was gorgeous lake to fish
    Anyone fish that recently and what's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I had junior Irish trials lough bane years ago
    Was gorgeous lake to fish
    Anyone fish that recently and what's it like?

Reasonable well stocked put & take fishery. Probably not as heavily fished as Lene or White lake nearby.

lads is there any trout in lough glore? its just outside castle-pollard? my gran uncle had land going right down to it i no its a great pike lake but any trout in it?:D

lads is there any trout in lough glore? its just outside castle-pollard? my gran uncle had land going right down to it i no its a great pike lake but any trout in it?:D

According to google competitions for trout are held in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Probably not a lot of Trout but a small indigenous population just the same. Decent Pike in it, access poor, very little shore angling. Glore Anglers dont stock it that I'm aware of.

Advertisement