Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding weetabix to a stout

Options
  • 09-03-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am making a stout from a kit (muntons imperial gold) and after a bit of research it seems there is a benefit of adding weetabix? Few people have said it makes it creamier. Is this the case? Would I just put two weetabix in at the very start of the brew?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Man up and have a third ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am making a stout from a kit (muntons imperial gold) and after a bit of research it seems there is a benefit of adding weetabix? Few people have said it makes it creamier. Is this the case? Would I just put two weetabix in at the very start of the brew?

Thanks!

Wheat would need to be mashed. Wheetabix is just wheat + sugar + salt so you would get the same results from using wheat DME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

irish_goat wrote: »

Wheat would need to be mashed. Wheetabix is just wheat + sugar + salt so you would get the same results from using wheat DME.

Is salt not an inhibitor to yeast ? Remember this from bread making though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Armelodie wrote: »
    Is salt not an inhibitor to yeast ? Remember this from bread making though!

Yes, it would be diluted out in the full beer

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the replies. So should I steer clear of adding any weetabix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I'm intruiged! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. So should I steer clear of adding any weetabix?

Of all the things you can add to beer, this doesn't even figure on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I don't mean to be hijacking your thread AD (if you want me to delete this comment, no bother), but it's a similar kinda question.

Instead of using flaked oats, could you just use porridge? Is there much of a difference? It looks the same and after I used it last time, before I threw it out, I took a taste and it tasted the same as normal porridge, too.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I don't mean to be hijacking your thread AD (if you want me to delete this comment, no bother), but it's a similar kinda question.

Instead of using flaked oats, could you just use porridge? Is there much of a difference? It looks the same and after I used it last time, before I threw it out, I took a taste and it tasted the same as normal porridge, too.
    Yeh regular rolled oats are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Yeh regular rolled oats are fine

Rolled or flaked oats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

How much oats would you add?

I was thinking of adding around 300g to a 19lt batch. Too much / too little?

sharingan wrote: »

Rolled or flaked oats?
    Same thing as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Same thing as far as I know

I think there is a gelatinisation process in some forms of oats, that is relevant for beer making.

From what I have researched, Oats should only represent about 10% of the grist. For a 5Kg grain bill, I have thrown in around 500g of oats.

Advertisement