Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chilli peppers by the way

Options
  • 09-03-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

Would consider the by the way album one of the best they have done to date.

I really like it. It is the one of there albums I can listen to over and over.

They really need to bring john back. I have never listen to his solo stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

absolutely. brilliant album. john will not come back though. at least not any time soon. he has made that very clear. have seen them live a number of times. unbelievable with john. without him theres a big void even tho josh is a great musician. just not the same. croke park gig really disapointed. would love john to return but its not gonna happan :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Great album but I ever so slightly prefer Californication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

RHCP haven't done anything musically relevent in over 20 years. If you mentioned Mother's Milk or Blood Sugar Sex Magik you would have been okay, they turned to crap after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

cena wrote: »

They really need to bring john back. I have never listen to his solo stuff

I prefer all of John's solo albums, from To Record Water for Only Ten Days onwards, to any of the RHCP stuff. You should really check them out. I think the guy is a genius!

Personal favourites for me:
    The Will to Death
    The Empyrean

and not so solo:
    Ataxia - Automatic Writing
    John and Josh - A Sphere in the Heart of Silence

And then the work he contributed to Omar Rodriguez's work.

I think By the Way pales in comparison to all of this :) but its all subjective I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Californication was the last great album they made. By The Way was them trying to continue on with it and whilst being decent and having many memorable tunes, it was nothing special. But hey, if you connect with that more than other RHCP releases, fair enough. Just make sure you check out their other albums!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Richy06 wrote: »
    Californication was the last great album they made.

I'd say Blood Sugar but hey, if you connect with that more than other RHCP releases, fair enough. Just make sure you check out their other albums! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

By the Way had it's moments but overall didn't have much staying power for me, Californication was far better. Anything that came after that was watered down and safe in my opinion, the last album was shockingly bad. Blood Sugar is were they really stood out and even though a lot of people don't seem to mention it at all when talking about RHCP, One Hot Minute is a very underrated album and absolutely owns most of their latest albums including By the Way, Stadium Arcadium and that latest slice of ****e of an album.

What they should of done when John left was got back Dave Navarro, got back on the narcotics and got back to what the Chili's were good at getting funked up. Just jokes, I would never promote the use of narcotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Their music was already watered-down and safe by the time they released Californication. Hollywood music in every sense of the word. Even though it was the first RHCP album I bought and enjoyed it when I was younger, in retrospect it is a poor album. I even think By The Way was an improvement, especially John's guitar-playing, but I still view By The Way as an uninspiring album today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I find some of the stuff on John's solo albums a but weird, but some good stuff on there too.

I find BTW a good album,a continuation of Californication, which has hit after hit on it. John's style all over both albums.

They are very different to blood sugar sex magic which is a great album.

Funnily enough, I also really like One Hot Minute. It's not really a RHCP album I guess, but is it any less so than their latest?

I have good memories of By The Way, driving around the coast on a warm summers day with it on.... Decent album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

RHCPs direction changed quite a lot in the time between BSSM and BTW - comparing them seems almost silly IMO.
    Both decent albums, just a different vision and meaning.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    I find some of the stuff on John's solo albums a but weird, but some good stuff on there too.

I find BTW a good album,a continuation of Californication, which has hit after hit on it. John's style all over both albums.

They are very different to blood sugar sex magic which is a great album.

Funnily enough, I also really like One Hot Minute. It's not really a RHCP album I guess, but is it any less so than their latest?

I have good memories of By The Way, driving around the coast on a warm summers day with it on.... Decent album.

Why isn't One Hot Minute really a RHCP album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, the fact it has Dave Navarro on it, and more so for the fact they haven't played any of it live for years might mean they shunned it? I think it's one of their best.
    Though, have any of their new setlists included stuff from One Hot Minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Deschain wrote: »
    By the Way had it's moments but overall didn't have much staying power for me, Californication was far better. Anything that came after that was watered down and safe in my opinion, the last album was shockingly bad. Blood Sugar is were they really stood out and even though a lot of people don't seem to mention it at all when talking about RHCP, One Hot Minute is a very underrated album and absolutely owns most of their latest albums including By the Way, Stadium Arcadium and that latest slice of ****e of an album.

What they should of done when John left was got back Dave Navarro, got back on the narcotics and got back to what the Chili's were good at getting funked up. Just jokes, I would never promote the use of narcotics.

THIS

Yes to all of this, RHCP were my idols as a kid and I still think their old stuff is just brilliant and hasn't aged, so funky and energetic. But I hate their radio friendly, predictable, ticket selling, corporate ****e of late. Kiedis shouldn't have had singing lessons... :D

One Hot Minute is great, Aeroplane is a lovely track.

There's another album after Stadium Arcadium?? Hmm.. news to me. :confused: Meh, who cares?

Just to add, The Zephyr Song makes me want to rip off my skin. Anyone else?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Well, the fact it has Dave Navarro on it, and more so for the fact they haven't played any of it live for years might mean they shunned it? I think it's one of their best.
    Though, have any of their new setlists included stuff from One Hot Minute?

Why would the fact Dave Navarro being on it not make it a RHCP album? Is it because John wasn't on it? John wasn't on the first 3 albums, I would consider them to be RHCP albums.

The reason they never played it live with John was because he didn't want to, simple as that. Plus at the time at least, there is no way John would have been able to pull off Dave's leads, considering his chops were not up to scratch when he got back in the band, you only have to see some of those early shows when he came back to see how out of practice he was. He did improve quickly though.

I have no idea if they play anything off One Hot Minute these days, I gave up following what the Chillies have been doing lately. Put I would guess that the answer would be no, simply because most of the people going to their shows want Californication onwards. If they pulled out Deep Kick live now most would probably think it a new song lol. Which is a shame because it really was an amazing album.

Thing is, when John left I was actually hoping they would get something like that going again if not with Dave then with Josh. As John was a driving force in how they wrote songs, and as much as I respect him, I got quite bored with what they were doing and thought maybe a change was going to kick some life into them again. Unfortunately it didn't and they released that sham of an album I'm With You.

THIS

Yes to all of this, RHCP were my idols as a kid and I still think their old stuff is just brilliant and hasn't aged, so funky and energetic. But I hate their radio friendly, predictable, ticket selling, corporate ****e of late. Kiedis shouldn't have had singing lessons... :D

One Hot Minute is great, Aeroplane is a lovely track.

There's another album after Stadium Arcadium?? Hmm.. news to me. :confused: Meh, who cares?

Just to add, The Zephyr Song makes me want to rip off my skin. Anyone else?

Yeah was released two years ago I think. I listened to it once, and once was enough, they really and truly had lost it with me at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Loved them growing up, and still listen to some of their stuff now and again.

Their early albums were quite dark, it all went quite melodic and poppy since Californication. Definitely a huge change, but one that has stayed the same for over a decade.

By The Way was a decent album, not their best but prob the last memorable record they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Deschain wrote: »
    Yeah was released two years ago I think. I listened to it once, and once was enough, they really and truly had lost it with me at that stage.

More like I'm Not With You amiright?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

karaokeman wrote: »
    More like I'm Not With You amiright?

ha ha yeah that's more like it.

Advertisement