Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which off-road bike?

• 09-03-2013 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi, I'm playing with the idea of getting an off-road/trail bike having spent an excellent afternoon off road with the brother in law's Honda 250 last week. Trouble is I'm not the tallest and as far as I can see bikes of this type tend to have have a high riding height. Fine when you're moving but not fine when you stop and need to get the leg down in an hurry. I didn't actually drop the bike but was under pressure a few times to keep it upright when stopped on a slope and when getting on/off.

I've plenty of on-road experience - the main bike's a Bandit 600. I'd be mostly riding on trails/bog/mountainside near where I live.
    I'd like to find a compromise between something with a bit of power that wasn't too tall/ or maybe height adjustable/ and at the same time affordable.
    Hopefully there's a compromise out there somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm playing with the idea of getting an off-road/trail bike having spent an excellent afternoon off road with the brother in law's Honda 250 last week. Trouble is I'm not the tallest and as far as I can see bikes of this type tend to have have a high riding height. Fine when you're moving but not fine when you stop and need to get the leg down in an hurry. I didn't actually drop the bike but was under pressure a few times to keep it upright when stopped on a slope and when getting on/off.

I've plenty of on-road experience - the main bike's a Bandit 600. I'd be mostly riding on trails/bog/mountainside near where I live.
    I'd like to find a compromise between something with a bit of power that wasn't too tall/ or maybe height adjustable/ and at the same time affordable.
    Hopefully there's a compromise out there somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks

A trials bike

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuF6mLPb1p1MmpqUIUqPFY2720lHsjppLMV3q8WvFXF26vvg7Y_A

Plenty fast for off road and low enough for the shortest rider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Thanks, I can see the advantage. Next question what make/model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i've a montesa, built by honda so the quality is top! i've mine for 3yrs and changed the chain once.... mad craic on soft bog and mountains as they are feather light. not so good on the fast trails as you have no seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Thanks, I can see the advantage. Next question what make/model?

Haven't ridden one in so long I've no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

sherco are pretty popular over here and generaly reliable, gas gas are sweet bikes but the older models suffer a few electrical gremlins but nothing to major, depends on your budget really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For a beginner something like an XR200/250 would be a good starter bike.
    DR200/250/350's are good as well.
    Low seat height, Yamaha Serow 225.
    Does it have to be road legal?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    For a beginner something like an XR200/250 would be a good starter bike.
    DR200/250/350's are good as well.
    Low seat height, Yamaha Serow 225.
    Does it have to be road legal?

Thanks - No Doesn't need to be road legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

You can't beet a yamaha/honda/ktm 250 enduro bike, wr/crfx/exc-f for learning on. They are a nice smooth tame bike but still can fly on it with the right pilot. You can get a good one for about 1500-2000 just beware of thrashed, low maintained examples, they can be costly. Take someone with you who knows a lot about offroad enduro's,

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions. Now I just need to convince Mrs SeamusG97 that I need another bike!

Advertisement