Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls - Academy May 11th

Options
  • 10-03-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Can't see any thread for this one. Apologies if I missed it. Just saw this gig on ticketmaster, couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything before now. Was at the gig in Whelans in December (I think) and was a cracking night. With the sleeping souls there too it should be even better. Hopefully the new album is a good one. Anyone else heading to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have my ticket already. It shall be fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ticket ordered but not delivered yet. Saw him support Dropkick Murphys in January and was smitten, so looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Frank Turner - "I'm not posh. Honest!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

heading to this!

Liking the new album, still waiting for my ticket, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I have my tickets, gonna listen to the new album now. Frank is DJing Propaganda after the gig, should be a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

This will be my third time seeing him, always puts on a good show, and the new album is brilliant, pretty dark though

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Yup, will be heading to this as well! Can't wait! "miracles on minimum wage" is a lyric that keeps me sane most days :P

Interesting one on tickets. Myself and my housemate ordered ours pretty much the day Frank announced the gig, way back whenever, still haven't gotten our tickets! She ordered another one for a friend a few weeks ago and it arrived in the mail a few days later... :pac: I know ticketmaster told us not to expect them until a week before the gig, but that's a bit weird and makes me nervous about not having mine yet :(

Not in love with the new album as much as previous and possibly dare i say his weakest to date. might be having the extended version that is almost hurting it for me.

Some decent songs but only one or two wow ones so far

Oddly, The Way I Tend to Be reminds me of the Saw Doctors!

Gig from the Forum in London is streaming live now on Yootoob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ehDI21lnok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gonna have to put my ticket on toutless. Absolutely gutted. Finally had a ticket to see him, but moving to Cork so cant make it back up so soon. I'll link to it tomorrow. A longer wait to see the man!

Mushy wrote: »
    Gonna have to put my ticket on toutless. Absolutely gutted. Finally had a ticket to see him, but moving to Cork so cant make it back up so soon. I'll link to it tomorrow. A longer wait to see the man!

Are you on twitter? He has his own hashtag so tickets go fan to fan at face value: #fthctickets and if you tweet him direct he might retweet closer to the night. :)

I might be looking for your ticket, Mushy, if mine doesn't show up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I want to go to this for the support band!

Larry & His Flask are supporting, they're great. They are playing Kilkenny Roots festival this weekend, and I'm not going to be able to make either gig! If you are heading to Frank Turner be sure to get in early for them:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

Anyone know how strict they'll be checking IDs, would hate to miss this being a few months shy of 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Anyone know how strict they'll be checking IDs, would hate to miss this being a few months shy of 18.

It's always a bit of a lottery but The Academy are strict enough I think. I remember some girls getting turned away from Brandon Flowers when it was on there. Ye might be lucky though

Ticket finally arrived today.....whew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

You might get lucky but from my experience they're very strict at The Academy. And once they get you over having no id, they're pretty on the ball about people not queuing up again etc. even if there's been a change at the door. Good luck!

Well, that was...exhilarating!!

Aye, great gig, love that venue! hard to go wrong anywhere you end up standing.

The band really enhances the live shows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wish Frank would stop doing weekend shows over here ha , usually means i wont make it:mad: . Hopefully next time , what was the turn out like?

Pretty much sold out in the end, I'd say. It's a contender for gig of the year for me, haven't enjoyed a gig, properly enjoyed, as much in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

First time seeing him with the band, and they where brilliant, so much energy, did anyone stay for his dj set?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

blastman wrote: »
    Pretty much sold out in the end, I'd say. It's a contender for gig of the year for me, haven't enjoyed a gig, properly enjoyed, as much in a long time.

Glad to see him move up in venue sizes aswell . Nothing worse when you see a band/act move up to a big enough venue and then for them not come close to selling out .

EyesClosed wrote: »
    First time seeing him with the band, and they where brilliant, so much energy, did anyone stay for his dj set?

Yeah, great craic. Started off with Queen and it kept getting better from there. A bit of unexpected Mumford & Sons, but I suppose anyone can be forgiven for liking the one M&S song the problem is when you like more than the one.

Poor fella had to finish the set early. I think the Jameson may have gotten to him. :p

Was completely blown away by the gig (opening act included) but the way Frank brings an audience together is just something to behold.

What did people think of the new stuff live?

Yeah, great craic. Started off with Queen and it kept getting better from there. A bit of unexpected Mumford & Sons, but I suppose anyone can be forgiven for liking the one M&S song the problem is when you like more than the one.

Poor fella had to finish the set early. I think the Jameson may have gotten to him. :p

Was completely blown away by the gig (opening act included) but the way Frank brings an audience together is just something to behold.

What did people think of the new stuff live?
    He tweeted on Sunday morning something to the effect that he had had his ass handed to him drinking in Dublin the previous night, all right. :)

I thought the new stuff was very good live, Recovery especially went down well. I thought we might have gotten one or two more tracks from it, actually.

blastman wrote: »
    He tweeted on Sunday morning something to the effect that he had had his ass handed to him drinking in Dublin the previous night, all right. :)

I thought the new stuff was very good live, Recovery especially went down well. I thought we might have gotten one or two more tracks from it, actually.

Haha! I missed him in Whelan's (boo urns) but my house mate was chatting to him then. Apparently one of his crew is from Belfast so usually he gets broken in Belfast and stays tame in Dublin...well Belfast, this time we broke him on you! <cue: evil laughter>

I thought the new stuff worked better live for people who are still warming up to TDH. I, on the other hand, warmed up to it like a flamethrower when it came out. :pac: Frank might actually becoming to resent the album himself, if he's as ticked off as he sounds about people mistaking it for his debut (but I assume every artist that starts getting heard has that fake debut album).

Also, did anyone actually catch the guy who stage dived? I've heard conflicting reports...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Also, did anyone actually catch the guy who stage dived? I've heard conflicting reports...
    Not so much caught as he landed on me but yeah, he came pretty close to kissing the concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

He didnt mention anything about coming back to do the picnic did he?? Doesnt appear to have anything else on that weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭loveboat captain

Was at the gig in Belfast last night, storming night it was! At the end he announced he's been booked to play Derry in September. Didnt give a date or venue

Advertisement