Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Important] Exchange looking for rental costs.

Options
  • 10-03-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I got this email saying the following;
    Hi Niall

Just wondering if the fighting game community would consider an ongoing donation or direct debit to help contribute to the space while stuff is stored here?

Regards
    Conor

Now, I'll leave this decision out there for the community as a whole to get to. But realistically, we cannot direct debit. As such we'll need someone in the community, with access to transport who can reasonably allow transport of the good the community owns to act as a "quartermaster" and look after kit (or multiple people).
    And let's not get antsy at the Exchange. They store a lot of stuff for us, and it's all still there. We normally had a tourney every 1-2 months (between DoC and Inferno), and donated about 50 quid out of the tourney to them for storage and as good will. And it's been about 6 months, if not more, since we last had a tournament with them.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The other option is that we run tournaments there regularly and give them some money off them. I said at the last 2 tournaments we did this was concerning me.

Or we could agree to give them a bit from the community pot every month or so.

This all brings us back to a "quartermaster" like we were talking about. We NEED someone to do this for us. Anyone want to volunteer?

Regardless- I can't realistically store the stuff right now and I am going to be away from boards for the next month or so, so I mightn't be too active in this discussion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Id go to regular tournaments. Im sure we can get 15+ if the tournies are cheap and are more about funding the exchange and not a large pot.

As long as there's a lot of casual setups we should get the saturday casuals crowd. Both marvel and mk lads would attend im sure. If we can keep it cheap that is.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah have no problem with them getting a fee for storage its only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Might be an idea to host "Ultra Casuals" event at the exchange.

Lots of setups, no tournament pressure and a great way for new players to come along without the blocker of paying money entering a tourney to only get 3 games.

We did one years ago in the xgc and had about 30 folks.
    Great way to have a game against the top tier players too and get some feedback.

€5 in and all going to the Exchange.
    Easy to promote too.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Might be an idea to host "Ultra Casuals" event at the exchange.

Lots of setups, no tournament pressure and a great way for new players to come along without the blocker of paying money entering a tourney to only get 3 games.

We did one years ago in the xgc and had about 30 folks.
    Great way to have a game against the top tier players too and get some feedback.

€5 in and all going to the Exchange.
    Easy to promote too.

I think that's a brilliant idea. It would be great if people turned up.
    Not nearly enough time is spent actually playing each other offline outside of the regulars at weekly casuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Sounds good, I'm up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Sounds great.

Now who's gonna organise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Voa wrote: »
    Now who's gonna organise it?
    And then the thread died.

I'll do it if no one else will.

I'll email exchange later on what Saturdays are available. What time is good for people? I was thinking 10am to 6/7 pm and people can just drop in whenever.

I only plan to run this one session but if it goes well. I'll see about running future ones.

To avoid attention being focused on one game. We can divide setups in terms of popularity. 2 ae setups. 2 marvel setups. I plan to get the tekken ranbats 2nd session done here if we can get it within next 2 weeks so 2 setups for that. (Obviously more per game If we somehow get more setups)

Would be great if people could bring monitors and consoles to make this a success. Offering discounts is a bit up in the air because the purpose is to raise money for exchange. So do it out of goodwill :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Fergus wrote:
    To avoid attention being focused on one game. We can divide setups in terms of popularity. 2 ae setups. 2 marvel setups. I plan to get the tekken ranbats 2nd session done here if we can get it within next 2 weeks so 2 setups for that. (Obviously more per game If we somehow get more setups)

I'm going make myself mr unpopular and suggest sticking to one game. I don't see how its different from regular casuals otherwise.

What I enjoyed about old Inferno's was that there was alot of casuals as well as the tournaments. As other games got added, the amount of casuals decreased. I know a few other people feel the same way but don't want to say it in public.
    Like its fine to having a chat for a while with other people but I think the point is to get in as many games as possible without having to wait 3 times the length that you get to play. 2 sets up mean long queues. Like a queue of 4 or 5 players at current casuals means waiting around for 15-20 minutes and then you might only get to play for 5 minutes. So if we plays winners stays on like we do at casuals and a good player gets on you might get only 10 minutes of game time or less per hour.

Like if we want people to travel for casuals I think you want to make it worth there time. I know it excludes people but you could do another event for another game and take it in turns. Or at the most split it between 2 games. 3 and its just not worth it IMO.

• Advertisement

I can see that but attendance has been pretty low recently, I'm assuming we'll have at least 5-6 setups, but I don't think we'll have many dedicated players to one game, there's a good few players who basically practices one game only, it would be excluding quite a few people.

But you could also say it would attract more players dedicated to one game if the session is for one certain game.

2 games wouldn't be too bad, 3 setups for 1 game is plenty if there is a rotation going. This is all down to you guys to bring setups in if you want to play more. Can divide setups on the day depending on how many people turn up for one game, more AE people, more AE setups.

Idk, I'm gonna book stuff and you guys can talk about what options you prefer, I don't mind at all which way we do it.

EDIT: Sent email asking about upcoming saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I'll do it if no one else will.

I'll email exchange later on what Saturdays are available. What time is good for people? I was thinking 10am to 6/7 pm and people can just drop in whenever.

I only plan to run this one session but if it goes well. I'll see about running future ones.

Would be great if people could bring monitors and consoles to make this a success. Offering discounts is a bit up in the air because the purpose is to raise money for exchange. So do it out of goodwill :D

I'll help with the event

No point in one guy doing it alone when plenty of able bodys. :D

Tnx Nutrient, but there isn't much to this compared to a tournament or w/e.

Can help with setups on the day.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'd be happy to help too. I can bring a full xbox/lagless monitor set up.

I can bring my TV/PS3 for TTT2 and an Xbox if someone brings a PS3 component cable for me.

Anyone know how many monitors we currently have now? So we have 2 full setups so far guaranteed + monitors/consoles on the day. Did we buy that monitor that we were debating to spend the community pot on?

If we can get a decent amount of setups, then we can introduce more games, 3 at the max (AE/UMVC3/TTT2) should cover most of the scene.

The PS3/TV I'm taking is for TTT2 alone so we can put that aside, and I'm also taking an xbox for one of the other 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I would guess that the Mk guys might want in on this as well. I am sure that they would more than likely bring a set up. It would be kind of unfair to not include them.

Also if this does become somewhat of a regular thing how often would people intend to run them?

If they bring their own setups and be self sufficient, they're welcome.

I think the monitors we have at the Exchange can go for AE/Marvel (I'm assuming we have like 4-5) and whatever setups the players out of those communities bring, then the rest of the games with setups provided by their own community should be fine.

Bringing setups is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Fergus_ wrote: »

I'm sure we can get more than 2 set ups for each game if we stick to 2 games. I know i'm still relatively new to the scene but i remember some tournies in which the whole exchange was packed with participants along with about 8 setups (XBoxs). since the Tekken scene is small (but growing) we can easily get 1 or 2 PS3s if someone from the Tekken lads could lend one of theirs.

also (just an idea) if anyone knows how to design a simple poster to advertise the event we can easily put them up on notice boards in all the major collages around like Trinity, DCU, DIT. since many of us are students from these collages anyway, this shouldn't be too difficult. this could attract a lot of new potential players or just people who want to have some fun.

of course i know this can only happen if people are willing to cooperate. as usual, i'm willing to lend my Xbox with a Marvel disc and AE2012 on the hard drive.

I'm hoping to get 3 setups for AE and 3 for Marvel and for TTT2/MK to be self provided, I can guarantee 1 setup for TTT2 and I think MK lads will happily bring a setup for themselves if they want to.

EDIT:

Ok so we have 6 monitors at exchange + 1 from Onion, so 7 setups for AE/Marvel alone and it'll be split up depending on how many for each game turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You just need six people to turn up with consoles and do we have enough speakers for all the monitors?

Also, on the day would someone be able to do up a full inventory of every piece of equipment we have there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Also, on the day would someone be able to do up a full inventory of every piece of equipment we have there.

This is important.

We need someone to keep an eye on the gear. Stuff does go missing and it's not the exchanges job to keep track.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This is important.

We need someone to keep an eye on the gear. Stuff does go missing and it's not the exchanges job to keep track.

I'll do it.

Lads, what about SfxT

Idk, could have a setup dedicated to it if people bring in setups or if there isn't much attention for AE/Marvel.

Setups, setups, and more setups ppl.

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Lads, what about SfxT

You're a funny guy

tbh, only 3 to 4 people play it.
    Not really worth the time when compared to say MK crowd. they would bring their own gear and would be at least 7-8 of them

1-2 games and MK should be it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I'd be more than happy to come along and take note of all the equipment and bring along an Xbox slim. AE2012 installed, aswell as other retro fighters installed.

Of course, we all know, it's great setting up these ultra casuals, but with the sheer laziness of some people, will people show up. It's a risk that may come back to bite the loyal members of the community if only 5 or 6 people show up.

Should re name this thread

Nutrient wrote: »
    Should re name this thread

Needs a whole new thread with clear first post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Needs a whole new thread with clear first post

Casually Infergus

• Advertisement