Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a remote desktop connection

Options
  • 10-03-2013 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Am trying to configure the desktop to act as a terminal sever as such so that I only can access it on the laptop running XP desktop is running 7. In the Remote tab under the System Properties window there is two options one more secure and one less secure problem is when i choose less secure XP cannot find the terminal as it is a older system. Is there a way of adding a user account on the laptop to the terminal not to sure how I go about it. When I click select users > locations. I am presented with the terminal and not the laptop. Do I need to allow a port across the network or something?

Comments

I don't know if it'll help but you may want to install the RDP 7.0 update on the XP machine.

You shouldn't need to open any ports if both machines are on the same network, maybe check that your firewall isn't blocking port 3389.

Re user accounts, if the connection is successful you should be asked for credentials when you connect. I assume you're not getting this far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't know if it'll help but you may want to install the RDP 7.0 update on the XP machine.

You shouldn't need to open any ports if both machines are on the same network, maybe check that your firewall isn't blocking port 3389.

Re user accounts, if the connection is successful you should be asked for credentials when you connect. I assume you're not getting this far?

Thanks but am still getting the authentication error on the laptop. If choose less secure on the terminal it works fine not to sure how secure it is though. Is it possible to allow just one user on the laptop to connect?

There is a procedure to enable NLA in XP but it involves messing with the registry.

http://blog.chrislehr.com/2010/04/enabling-network-level-authentication.htm

About the user accounts, you can specify which users can connect. However, any admin can connect even if they're not in the list.

Cool Ill check out the registry thing tomorrow, wonder why MS just didn't put it into a update.

When trying to add a user on the terminal it just presents the users and groups on that machine. Is there a way of adding a user from the laptop?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Cool Ill check out the registry thing tomorrow, wonder why MS just didn't put it into a update.

When trying to add a user on the terminal it just presents the users and groups on that machine. Is there a way of adding a user from the laptop?

No, it only lets you add a user from the RD host. If you had Active Directory you could choose a domain user but otherwise it's the host's accounts only.

• Advertisement

Cool might just set a stronger password on the RD host so and enable network level authentication inside the registry on the XP machine. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnmd01

You can always try teamviewer as well its free for non commercial use.

Advertisement