Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a vid of cleaning my 10/22, could use feedback

Options
  • 10-03-2013 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

It was a lot longer i had to cut a lot out, lots of jumpcuts.
    i want to ame a vid about the differences with sound with different ammo and suppressors.
    And also a few on centerfires,and since the farmers are calling me about foxes and lambs maybe some of that.
    Any feedback you guys have would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

The first thing I would have done was remove the scope rather than have it banging about whilst removing the pins etc but more importantly had the bolt in the hold open position and demonstrating that the gun was empty !

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

MarkWolff wrote: »
    The first thing I would have done was remove the scope rather than have it banging about whilst removing the pins etc but more importantly had the bolt in the hold open position and demonstrating that the gun was empty !

ah sorry i had done all that at the start but cut it i tought the cut off was 10 mins not 15. will leave it in next time.
    i never take the scope off, i normaly do it in the gun vise in the bck of the clip, but cut talking about that out as well.
    well spoted thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

Where did you get that stock and how much?

duckman!! wrote: »
    Where did you get that stock and how much?

Its a Boyds ss evolution stock
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=8894&cat=1214

it was around 150 euro to order it with shipping

its a realy nice stock but it does have one thing i dont like, i am doing a vid about it now

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Its a very nice rifle. Well, right up front you get a gold star for not saying "Hi guys", or in your case perhaps "Hello lads". Just kidding, could not resist that ;)

First, I'll preface my comments that I am from the peanut gallery, and have never taken the effort to make a video myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Since you asked for it, here goes:

I concur with Mark in so much as try to fix it in place on the gun vice or some what to better limit moving it around as much as possible. More importantly, if this is an "instructional" video, summarize up front what you are going to do, purpose/objective.

Annunciate a little more deliberately & clearly which step you are starting at each distinct step, and what parts you are removing (by the proper name). Then you can go into a little detail about any special/added parts or any special procedure or tip. The tidbit about the one part having 2,000 rounds is good, but what is it and what does it do for the rifle(knowing some may not be familiar), how is different from a stock part?

Yes be clear and deliberate about clearing the rifle, the first step in every session. Good luck and keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ziggieire can't fault your videos and for a first time they are good and informative. It's not easy to remember everything as you go along is it.
    I know the videos I did for my college project for the www.irishshooting.com website I had nearly 100GB of footage taken to pair down.

Anyway I did that modification your talking about for the Boyd Evo stock and it did tighten up the groups. My 10/22 was second-hand when I bought it and it had many, many rounds shot though it. The action would move side to side - more so than up like you have shown.

The biggest improvement was to tap the action screw out to 6mm and bed a brass pillar in for the front of the action to sit on. You can really tighten up that action screw now.

Next was to add the allen key head screw to the stock and drill out the back of the action. The trick is to grind a tapper to the allen key head screw so that as you re-fit the action into the stock it is a good tight fit.

Full read is here (Hunting/Tips/post #92)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82208675&postcount=92

6mmactionscrew1.jpg

rearactionfixing4.jpg

Brassbeddingpillarrearactionfixingjpg.jpg

Brass gas fitting before getting turned down.
    Bore out to 6mm, turn flat the threaded end, round it off to about 20mm, cut to length so that the 6mm bolt head just fits into the stock.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlqThMbwyFkVgYutL933l7vA-UaWBG9Vbu-m_bX66G0MqEwFY_gA

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75453678

f79caf2f.jpg

OnTargetgroupingresult_2.jpg

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Its a very nice rifle. Well, right up front you get a gold star for not saying "Hi guys", or in your case perhaps "Hello lads". Just kidding, could not resist that ;)

First, I'll preface my comments that I am from the peanut gallery, and have never taken the effort to make a video myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Since you asked for it, here goes:

I concur with Mark in so much as try to fix it in place on the gun vice or some what to better limit moving it around as much as possible. More importantly, if this is an "instructional" video, summarize up front what you are going to do, purpose/objective.

Annunciate a little more deliberately & clearly which step you are starting at each distinct step, and what parts you are removing (by the proper name). Then you can go into a little detail about any special/added parts or any special procedure or tip. The tidbit about the one part having 2,000 rounds is good, but what is it and what does it do for the rifle(knowing some may not be familiar), how is different from a stock part?

Yes be clear and deliberate about clearing the rifle, the first step in every session. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Thats the kind of feedback i was looking for thank you Ewquin,I think i will need a flip pad off screen to help me pace and remember points. after reading this i ordered some nice pin punches from ebay and i will be useing the vice more, i just did not use it becuase i could not get a good shot but i think i have it figured out now.

Anyway I did that modification your talking about for the Boyd Evo stock and it did tighten up the groups. My 10/22 was second-hand when I bought it and it had many, many rounds shot though it. The action would move side to side - more so than up like you have shown.

Clivej that was the very walktrough i was looking for and could not find, did not know it was yours, come to think of it the bolt in the vid is yours as well bought it of you whyle back.
    Would you mind if i made a vid of those upgrades i would credit you.
    Thanks lads this helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ziggieire wrote: »
    Clivej that was the very walktrough i was looking for and could not find, did not know it was yours, come to think of it the bolt in the vid is yours as well bought it of you whyle back.
    Would you mind if i made a vid of those upgrades i would credit you.
    Thanks lads this helps a lot

Work away young lad
    I show all the mods I do to try and help other shooters get more from their firearms. You'll never see me post about the jobs that go tits-up (and there's plenty of them) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To transfer the hole in the back of the action drill out the hole small first, say 3mm. I had a long 6mm rod, about 12" long, and got a 3mm drill bit put in the end of it. Used a lathe to drill the 3mm hole in the rod and then put in the 3mm drill bit and got it silver soldered in. This was then used to transfer the correct placing of the hole into the stock after re-fitting the action into the stock, with the barrel off.

Hope that makes sence to ya :cool::cool:

If your looking for more ideas look to Rimfirecentral.com/Ruger 10/22/Action section
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11
    Just have a read through and search for 'rear action hold down'
    Also your find the correct messurements for the rear action hole there (search)

Advertisement