Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent changes to 457 (from the moving to Oz thread)

Options
  • 10-03-2013 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭

messymess wrote: »
    Without meaning to derail the thread I believe her comments were taken out of context. She was referring to instances where employers have sponsored people on 457s for a job that was completely different to the one that the visa was granted for, therefore cutting Australians out of more entry level roles. Which was not really what the visa was intended for.

Although not a Gillard lover...I sort of agree I think the media are slightly barking up the wrong tree blaming big businesses for these rorts, if you look at Brendan O'Connors comments he mentions that there are many rorts such as sponsoring friends/family on 457 visa, dressing up so-called skilled jobs that are really unskilled jobs. Kinda jobs for the lads wink wink type of thing.

this is hardly a surprise as most people who have been here a few years knows that the 457 is being rorted, and this is mostly by applicants in cahoots with a sympathetic employer who over-embellish their skills in the application like laborers that are sponsored as brickies or drainers etc.

The whole scheme got way out of control just like Gillard says, hopefully they are finally trying to fix it as I think it will return of some integrity to the program that was lost after labor tinkered with it back in September 2009.

it seems some of the measures will be

• Making business sponsors declare that they will commit to employing Australian citizens
    • Making training Australian citizens an enforceable requirement of 457 applications
    • Making employers show that the position is genuine
    • Restricting the number of workers a business can sponsor
    • Tightening the definitions of eligible positions
    • Strengthening the designated salary rate for the visas “to stop undercutting of local conditions”

Also interesting enough I seen this post

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/179263-457-visa-changes.html#post1936142352

It's all political for sure but once the process is fixed and running the coalition will just continue to run with it in September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

mandrake04 wrote: »

Although not a Gillard lover...I sort of agree I think the media are slightly barking up the wrong tree blaming big businesses for these rorts, if you look at Brendan O'Connors comments he mentions that there are many rorts such as sponsoring friends/family on 457 visa, dressing up so-called skilled jobs that are really unskilled jobs. Kinda jobs for the lads wink wink type of thing.

this is hardly a surprise as most people who have been here a few years knows that the 457 is being rorted, and this is mostly by applicants in cahoots with a sympathetic employer who over-embellish their skills in the application like laborers that are sponsored as brickies or drainers etc.

The whole scheme got way out of control just like Gillard says, hopefully they are finally trying to fix it as I think it will return of some integrity to the program that was lost after labor tinkered with it back in September 2009.

it seems some of the measures will be

• Making business sponsors declare that they will commit to employing Australian citizens
    • Making training Australian citizens an enforceable requirement of 457 applications
    • Making employers show that the position is genuine
    • Restricting the number of workers a business can sponsor
    • Tightening the definitions of eligible positions
    • Strengthening the designated salary rate for the visas “to stop undercutting of local conditions”

Also interesting enough I seen this post

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/179263-457-visa-changes.html#post1936142352

It's all political for sure but once the process is fixed and running the coalition will just continue to run with it in September.

Basically returning the system to the procedures which were in force when the opposition were in power...ironic really!

I'll say this much, Julia is doing herself no favours by following this line of propaganda. Doesn't she realise that a certain portion of the people she is "protecting" are work-shy bogans who will be sure not to vote her in again for fear they may actually be forced to get a job as they can't use the old " bloody immigrants coming over here taking our jobs" chestnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Batgurl wrote: »

Basically returning the system to the procedures which were in force when the opposition were in power...ironic really!
    Exactly. Her whole reasoning makes no sense.

The changes are basically ensuring that the rules that are/were in place are bring followed. This should have always been the case so I don't really know what is going to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Exactly. Her whole reasoning makes no sense.

The changes are basically ensuring that the rules that are/were in place are bring followed. This should have always been the case so I don't really know what is going to be different.

Probably processing times and more rejections, Brendan O'Connor started it all off with reports on rorts and a pledge to fix it. He already stated in the last few days that over 100 sanctions have been put in place with some cancelations and more to follow, obviously he means business.

Gillard just took her usual opportunistic bandwagon jumping to play politics and suck up to the redneck west Sydney electorate by making a statement that this was all about job stealing.... no it not its about fixing a crook system.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Probably processing times and more rejections, Brendan O'Connor started it all off with reports on rorts and a pledge to fix it. He already stated in the last few days that over 100 sanctions have been put in place with some cancelations and more to follow, obviously he means business.

Gillard just took her usual opportunistic bandwagon jumping to play politics and suck up to the redneck west Sydney electorate by making a statement that this was all about job stealing.... no it not its about fixing a crook system.

Nobody lost an election by picking on foreigners (though that's probably not 100% true). I do think though that 457 visa's have spiralled in numbers in the last few years which has helped keep the economy going but it is fair to say that things are slowing down again. As a result they would be foolish not to take some steps to rain in these things.

I honestly don't see it changing much other than they will get 15 mins of news coverage for saying this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kfc1210

So is this coming in in the next few months or are 457s that are currently being processed being held to these rules?!

We seem to have gotten a terrible case officer who was not happy with how we proved salary and wanted it proved by area!! ie Darlinghurst as Sydney details was not good enough....

• Advertisement
Advertisement