Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor plate / magazine / single shot.

Options
  • 10-03-2013 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I'm on the market for a 243. One thing that obvious is there is alot of guns out there with floor plates. I looked at the ruger American and it was magazine I really liked that for just safety it noting else. But I've no experience of the floor plate.

Just looking for pros and cons of both if any

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭cz223

had a remmy in .223 with a floor plate found it an absolute nuisance load unload every time u left a field out lamping. with the mag u just press the button and place the loaded mag in your pocket pop it back in next field u enter job done
    would never buy another rifle with floor plate .thats my two pence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Infairness that is what I was think in its one step away from making safe all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I'm on the market for a 243. One thing that obvious is there is alot of guns out there with floor plates. I looked at the ruger American and it was magazine I really liked that for just safety it noting else. But I've no experience of the floor plate.

Just looking for pros and cons of both if any

Thanks lads.
    I have rifles with both systems but I prefer the ones with magazines.
    The only downside to the magazine is the fact that you could lose it and some can be expensive to replace.
    I realy like the mag system on my sako 85.
    You can take out the mag and load it but you can also load it while its in the rifle like you do with the floorplate types.
    To remove the mag you have to push it up while pressing the release catch
    so its unlikely to fall out while hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

cz223 wrote: »
    had a remmy in .223 with a floor plate found it an absolute nuisance load unload every time u left a field out lamping. with the mag u just press the button and place the loaded mag in your pocket pop it back in next field u enter job done

Why do you have to completely unload the internal magazine?? If you have a round in the chamber, all you have to do is open the bolt and catch the round as it comes out, then put it back in the magazine and hold the rounds down as you close the bolt. Then you have an empty chamber and a full magazine. I don't understand why you are taking all the rounds out of the floor plate??

That said, a detachable magazine is handier to be fair. As long as you don't loose them!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My old Savage Model 10 was a pain in the ass. No floor plate or mag. Blind mag well/solid stock. All rounds were loaded from the top, an unloaded the same. By cycling the bolt to extract each round.

The last few rifles were all floor plates, and after a short while you get used to it, and it isn't a problem. The new 243 has a detachable box mag which is a gem. Simply drop it, and the gun is safe.

TBH this would be last on my list of "wants" when choosing a rifle. Caliber, brand, size, and weight are my primary concerns. Then i take looks into account. Not a vital selling point, but you have to have a little pride in your rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Agree 100%, shagging nuisance especially when safety is an issue,on the plus side you can lose a magazine but not a floor plate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I don't own one but have used several rifles with floor plates and did'nt think there was a safety issue nor did i think it was a pain all you have to do to unload it is press the catch and drop the floor plate down.As said above mags can be lost and i know quite a few who have lost some expensive ones, In saying that the rifle i just bought has a magazine but i will be changing the bottom metal so it will accept AI mags because they are readily available and not too pricey where as the other ones are expensive and a pain in the hole to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭cz223

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Why do you have to completely unload the internal magazine?? If you have a round in the chamber, all you have to do is open the bolt and catch the round as it comes out, then put it back in the magazine and hold the rounds down as you close the bolt. Then you have an empty chamber and a full magazine. I don't understand why you are taking all the rounds out of the floor plate??

That said, a detachable magazine is handier to be fair. As long as you don't loose them!! :)
    grand till you come across a member of our finest law enforcement and u on a public road with a rifle and ammo in it try telling them its not loaded :eek::eek::eek:

How exactly does a floor plate work do you need to hold the rounds down when closeing the bolt or is the a catch or switch or something.
    Also the average magazine holds 4 ( well in the guns I looked at ) so how many go into the floor plate.

Yes you hold the round down when closing the bolt if you want to walk with an empty chamber, they usually hold the same it's just an internal magazine. There is also a catch in front of the trigger guard that releases the floor plate for unloading so you don't have to chamber a round.

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »

Looked at that video it's quick and to the point infairness. I suppose its not that bad the hinged bottom plate. I've only ever used mags but have said that center fire rifle are new to me.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages if it bothers you i am sure if you do a bit of research you may find a decent rifle that fits the bill and has all the features you are looking for and you could order one then if you can't find one or have one built.
    I am sure there are posters here who would know of a rifle that fits the bill if you post some of the things you are looking for if you want a mag fed rifle then get one because it may annoy you all the time and you won't have as much enjoyment out of it, But make sure it is up to the task at hand. a tikka t3 or something might tickle your fancy they are accurate from all the reports i hear (never owned one) they are nice in the hand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

On a hunting rifle I like the looks of a hinged floorplate, it has a classic look to it. But a blind magazine also works well. On a heavy recoiling DG rifle it is a blind magazine every time for me.
    Apples and oranges, blondes, brunettes, or redheads and shades in between, the choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

I have an Remington 700 .223 VSF bullbarrell which PSE did an amazing job on with an Acc Internation magazine conversion which now gives me the best of .223's I could have, its away getting a timney trigger which will make it the dogs balls, I will stick a pic up when it comes back.
    The PSE conversion is the best thing I spent money on, I have peace of mind now knowing that there is no fumbling about in the dark with floor plates when foxing at 2am in the morning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Browning A-bolt has a floorplate with an attached magazine, you open the floorplate and the magazine clips to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

i have a remington 700 in .223 and i really like having the internal magazine because there is never a chance of me forgetting to bring the magazine when i'm heading out for a days shooting or losing it. i bought the gun new and it was one of the deciding factors for me getting the remington and once i used it for a while became second nature. i also currently have a detachable magazine fed cz in .22 hornet so it's not just a case of me saying it's the best because that's what i have

you shouldn't leave either system deter you from buying a gun that is otherwise perfectly suited to your needs and price point because they are both good systems once it becomes natural

cushcam wrote: »
    i have a remington 700 in .223 and i really like having the internal magazine because there is never a chance of me forgetting to bring the magazine when i'm heading out for a days shooting or losing it. i bought the gun new and it was one of the deciding factors for me getting the remington and once i used it for a while became second nature. i also currently have a detachable magazine fed cz in .22 hornet so it's not just a case of me saying it's the best because that's what i have

you shouldn't leave either system deter you from buying a gun that is otherwise perfectly suited to your needs and price point because they are both good systems once it becomes natural

Not a bad way of looking at it. I suppose we all rushed out the door and forget the magazine at some stage I did anyway.

As have i and felt like a right plank on a number of occasions.:o Thats why i leave one or two in the car now lol now i can't forget it.:P:D

Ah ye and your out in the pissing rain freezen cold and your trying to drop a round into the chamber in the dark. You wouldn't forget it if it was great wheater and when there is noting to shoot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement