Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can aegs "break down" when not in use???

• 10-03-2013 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

This is just a query based on my own particular situation with one of my guns and from what I read elsewhere on the airsoft forum.

I recently purchased a TM M14 that is in perfect showroom condition, ie not an external blemish at all. The guy I bought it off said he purchased it 4 years ago but hadn't used it in two years. However a week after I got it, the gun stopped firing. As this gun is waaaaaay more complicated to take apart than my G&G M4 and Raider, I brought it to Airsofteire (as they sell this model) for a looksee and they found that the tappet plate was snapped. Now the gun was firing fine when I bought it to be fair to the seller but after I put five mags of bbs through it, it soon broke down.

So can aegs suffer wear and tear even when left lying unused, I.e. can the internal plastic bits like tappet plates become brittle over time and snap??

As for the other comment I saw on the forum, one guy offered well under the asking price on an aeg that was essentially unused (impulse purchase) and had been left lying up for a couple of years, as he said he'd have to give it a full service due to the length of time the gun was lying idle.

Just curious and open to ideas on all this btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Guess who and yes, all things are possible, however it really depends on how an RIF is stored and in this case, if your M14 was stored and unused for that length of time, it's possible it broke because of this

To be honest, if an AEG was left unused for a long time, I'd be more worried about the gears and shim job, as grease does not last forever

Hope this helps and I'm sure more knowledgeable people can add to this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

The tappet plate was more than likely left under strain for two years, therefore weakening it, when you fired a few mags through it, it snapped at the weak point. Orrrrrrrr it could have been on the way out already.

A good slogan for our beloved sport should be "Airsoft, everything breaks eventually".

The tappet plate was more than likely left under strain for two years, therefore weakening it, when you fired a few mags through it, it snapped at the weak point. Orrrrrrrr it could have been on the way out already.

A good slogan for our beloved sport should be "Airsoft, everything breaks eventually".

Excellent point and so true, honestly, this is the only sport where many things arrived broken and have to be changed out of the box, it's unreal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Excellent point and so true, honestly, this is the only sport where many things arrived broken and have to be changed out of the box, it's unreal :rolleyes:

Have to disagree there as I also fly radio controlled planes and more often than not, I end up having to replace something on a "new" plane before it flies, or else it'll either not get off the ground or I'll be bringing it home in a bin bag. The fact that the parts are made in China might be the common denominator between airsoft and radio controlled planes!

Have to disagree there as I also fly radio controlled planes and more often than not, I end up having to replace something on a "new" plane before it flies, or else it'll either not get off the ground or I'll be bringing it home in a bin bag. The fact that the parts are made in China might be the common denominator between airsoft and radio controlled planes!

I've been corrected and learn something new everyday, also, I use to have other hobbies too, then decided guns are my true hobby and have not looked back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Wolfruin

you should team up with dave and his planes we need air surpport in airsoft :)

I once got a gun new from a store took it for a test run seemed fine took it home and found the gearbox shell was cracked :(

I've been corrected and learn something new everyday, also, I use to have other hobbies too, then decided guns are my true hobby and have not looked back ;)

I make time for my two hobbies so I don't get bored of either. Works for me.
    Wolfruin wrote: »
    you should team up with dave and his planes we need air surpport in airsoft :)

I once got a gun new from a store took it for a test run seemed fine took it home and found the gearbox shell was cracked :(

yup, I have thought about making a drone that could hover over the battlefield and send real time telemetry back to me using fpv (first person view) goggles. As long as its hovering 50 metres up, it should be safe from anti aircraft fire :-D

I have thought about making a drone that could hover over the battlefield and send real time telemetry back to me using fpv (first person view) goggles. As long as its hovering 50 metres up, it should be safe from anti aircraft fire :-D

Offer asking for the drone package and can collect in person :D

i demand this to be made ~:)

i demand this to be made ~:)

As first in line, I 2nd this proposal and add, that a project fund be setup in escrow and paid to the person who is willing to complete this epic idea :)

• Advertisement

well Dave does not need money hes Prosperous!! he should build it for us :P

well Dave does not need money hes Prosperous!! he should build it for us :P

Oh I wish. Prosperous is where I live, not my financial state:o

As for the drone, this is quite easy to do actually. You can buy all the necessary bits from Hobbyking, I.e. quad copter base, motors, fpv goggles, camera etc etc. Then all you'd need is some flying practice and there you have a drone that could maintain a hover high enough out of range but could follow the enemy in real time. It could be done for about two hundred quid for a basic set up or four hundred for a great set up. This'll probably be all part and parcel of airsoft in the years to come. Of course, then we'll need a SAM, (Super Airsoft Missile!:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Oh I wish. Prosperous is where I live, not my financial state:o

As for the drone, this is quite easy to do actually. You can buy all the necessary bits from Hobbyking, I.e. quad copter base, motors, fpv goggles, camera etc etc. Then all you'd need is some flying practice and there you have a drone that could maintain a hover high enough out of range but could follow the enemy in real time. It could be done for about two hundred quid for a basic set up or four hundred for a great set up. This'll probably be all part and parcel of airsoft in the years to come. Of course, then we'll need a SAM, (Super Airsoft Missile!:D)

and Prosperous is not prosperous trust me :rolleyes:
    if you ever make one I wana see that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Of course, then we'll need a SAM, (Super Airsoft Missile!:D)

I have a mate who is mad to make something like that!

He's been looking at a lot of the NERF products and is curious to see if some of their various products could be combined with airsoft to make the likes of a LAW or an M202 Flash.

Trouble is that I think something like that could be too big to be hauled around and practically used in airsoft...

Advertisement