Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

seedlings wilting

• 10-03-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

think i might've made a schoolboy error, growing a few different types of flower seedlings and i gave them a bit of miraclegro to bring them on a bit. some of them have begun to wilt and i'm hoping there might be a way to salvage this?? also there is a slight white mouldy bit on some of the biodegradable pots with some seedlings, should i dump these?? read something in another thread about some damping disease?? i'm wondering if its because i'm over watering???
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Sounds very much like over watering

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Sounds like you have over watered them, lay off the water . They may recover hope so.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks guys, will lay off the uisce so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hi, sounds like damping off disease, where the seedlings just keel over. It is a fungal disease caused by very wet humid conditions. If you decide to sow a second batch I suggest mixing perlite or vermiculite through the compost, its great for drainage and heat retention. Also covering the seeds with perlite instead of compost is good, and ensure good air circulation. Perlite to compost rato, about 1 to 4. Good luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks maggie, can i buy those things at any gardening centre??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

I think the miricale grow might be a bit hot for seedlings, you might want to check it out, those peat pots can be hard to judge watering in if their small, but i would try leave them to dry out as much as you can between watering, the mould on the pots shouldn't really be a problem, happens with the peat pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hi again, yes you can get small bags of perlite or vermiculite in garden centres. Using a soil based compost can help too, as peat does tend to dry out as the previous poster mentioned. If you plan on growing a lot of seedlings you can buy a large bag of vermiculite in a builders stores. It is used to back fill chimneys, but the same stuff. I think I saw a large bag in a garden centre for €30, a lot of money, it would last for a long time, and maybe save you money in lost seeds/seedlings. Good garden hygiene is crucial, as pests and diseases can linger in old pots and compost. Happy sowing!:D

Advertisement