Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre questions

• 10-03-2013 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a couple of questions re bike tyres:

1. Is plugging a puncture a permanent or temporary solution? Should you always replace the tyre?

2. Is it ok to have two different brands/models on front and rear? Or should they always be matched? My common sense tells me matching is the only sure way of having predictable handling.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i had mis-matched models of tyres never mind makes and it made for wierd handling, changed the front for a match to the rear and it transformed the handling so i'd say matched pairs tbh! as for plugging personally i'd use it till i could afford a new tyre thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Plugging is a temporary solution that most people use as permanent.
    On a car with 4 wheels a plug failing isn't the end of the world usually.
    On a bike a plug failure could result in much worse effects.
    I would get it properly patched ASAP.
    Tyres it depends on many factors, the bike, the rider and the intended use.
    On a standard road bike matched pairs might be best, on a big trailie its common to use different tyres front and back to alter the way the tyres wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

i think on michelin will stand behind a puncture repair, all other tyre manufactures will not allow it so most bike shops won't do it for legality reasons. Only proper way to do it is to take tyre off wheel and plug from inside out, the "turd" ones that cars use are really only temporary. As far as mis matched tyres i can't really see any problem as long as they are the correct size. I have mis matched tyres on my gsxr 1000, now if you can avoid it i would but mine came like that and the tyres are too good to replace just for that reason. If you were track daying it then maybe but the average rider won't tell any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have read this also in many a bike magazine that michelin tyres are the only tyres that are actually fit to be plugged, something to do with the materials used down the centre of the tyre. I have only ever used Michelin in my short biking life (set of PR2's and currently PR3's) and I dont think I would use anything else, as for mis-matching tyres I think it depends alot on the rider as was said. I am out frequently with lookbehindyou off here and that chap could ride a busa with a set of plasters front and rear!

The most important tyre is the FRONT more so then the rear, once that is in a good state the rear will follow.

As I am relatively new to biking I like to have all things matched and in good working order so I know in my own head that things are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thanks for the replies all.

I will get a new tyre fitted. I will go for the same as the front seeing as though it is a good tyre and I can afford it (Dunlop Sportsmart).

SS

• Advertisement
Advertisement