Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever smoked weed?

1789101113»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Chunners wrote: »
    OK you all won, I shall leave you all to give each other high fives and hand jobs because at this point I can't be arsed dealing with hash heads and their rubbish

So since I was given an infraction for this post I obviously offended some (probably all) of you so I figure owe you an apology. I tend to call anyone who partakes of hash recreationaly a "Hash head" but since this seems to be an offensive term I'll retract it, I'm sure many of you are charming, witty intelligent people while under the influence but unfortunately in my experience that would be more the exception than the rule. None the less I still apologize to anyone I offended. I shall leave your thread now because I still have my own opinions about it and to post further would only be disruptive to the flow of the conversation. Happy toking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Jesus wept, we're back on this rubbish again.

Let people make their own choices.

Weed is not a gateway drug or addictive.

Problems are the gateway drug, it's problems that lead people onto harder drugs.
    Habits are additive. Being calm as a result of completing a ritual habit is relaxing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

So since I was given an infraction for this post I obviously offended some (probably all) of you so I figure owe you an apology. I tend to call anyone who partakes of hash recreationaly a "Hash head" but since this seems to be an offensive term I'll retract it, I'm sure many of you are charming, witty intelligent people while under the influence but unfortunately in my experience that would be more the exception than the rule. None the less I still apologize to anyone I offended. I shall leave your thread now because I still have my own opinions about it and to post further would only be disruptive to the flow of the conversation. Happy toking :)

Not accepted. You were trolling and your snivelling backtracking now that a Mod has pulled you up on it leaves me nonplussed. Also, the above isnt an apology or anything close. Happy being judgmental :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I did about three different times when I was younger. I gave up smoking cigs ten years ago though so its all a long time ago now. Feel old now haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

How is "Hash-head" deemed to be pejorative?! :confused:

I'd class it in the same league as "rockers" or "goths" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

catallus wrote: »
    How is "Hash-head" deemed to be pejorative?! :confused:

I'd class it in the same league as "rockers" or "goths" ?

read the posts, it was said in an insulting manner,

same way as going "rockers, those noisy fcukers, doevery drug they can get their hands on."
    or "all goths cut themselves."

Its the way its said that's the real problem.

Also, I've only ever seen "hash head" used to insult/degrade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep have smoked it a fair bit in my youth(along with other "concoctions and aids to fun"). Never regular mind you, the odd weekend thing if it was around. Maybe six times a year at my peak.

Now while there is a lot of guff about the dangers of weed, I will say as my opinion and in my personal experience I have noted it often having a bad effect as a longterm regular thing. Like alcohol it's not the occasional drinker but the alcoholic that's the problem and I've known a couple of "weedaholics". Alcoholism is a dreadful affliction and can wreck lives and families, but again IMH weedaholics can be as bad as far as how it affects the individual(doesn't tend to wreck others/families so much). I've known functional alcoholics holding down jobs etc and for many a year too, but I've personally yet to meet a functioning weedaholic, or one who stayed that way for very long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Not accepted. You were trolling and your snivelling backtracking now that a Mod has pulled you up on it leaves me nonplussed. Also, the above isnt an apology or anything close. Happy being judgmental :)

Meah take it as you wish really, I wasn't told by a mod to apologize or anything, I did it off my own back but if you want to be a dick about my apology then so be it, makes no odds to me really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

You know I was tempted to write a very snide response centered around the theme of 'thanks for the non-apology apology' but having participated in countless forums where I was less than perfect and frankly overwhelmingly outnumbered I do see the kernels of genuine learning in that post, even if frankly they were delivered in an overly defensive way. In addition I recognize and acknowledge that you were not compelled into this apology so erstwhile kudos to you for bothering.

Now for the huge 'BUT' that was written allover the preceding paragraph;). Firstly don't leave the discussion. You have raised a point that has value unfortunately it was obscured by the manner in which you did so. The stereotype of 'stoners' as wasters and slowed exists because there is some truth to it. Some of my fellow 'hash heads' will no doubt rage at me for saying that but I stand by it. The issue is that you generalised it onto the entire population who engage in cannabis consumption. That is the equivalent of suggesting that any and everyone who participates in alcohol consumption is either an alcoholic/belligerent drunk or someone who lacks the innate social confidence to allow them to participate properly in nightlife and drinks to compensate.

Secondly, you do 'still have' your 'own opinions' but what on earth are any of us here for if not to teach and be taught? Be fierce in articulating your opinion and intelligent in defending it, but be equivalently as inquisitive to hear and engage with those of others and be confident enough to realise that you can change your opinion (without even the remotest notion of embarrassment/stupidity) when faced with evidence and experience to the contrary. Ultimately be strong enough to confront but be equally strong enough to accept confrontation.

Thirdly, be interested. Be interested enough to look beyond personal experience. As much as you might implore those 'hash heads' with nothing but positive experiences, opinions and knowledge of cannabis to explore alternate experiences you ought to be willing to do so yourself. There is a myriad of scientific research (and if its not to 'out there' for a "hash head" to say) philosophical and cultural discourse on the import of cannabis.

You know I was tempted to write a very snide response centered around the theme of 'thanks for the non-apology apology' but having participated in countless forums where I was less than perfect and frankly overwhelmingly outnumbered I do see the kernels of genuine learning in that post, even if frankly they were delivered in an overly defensive way. In addition I recognize and acknowledge that you were not compelled into this apology so erstwhile kudos to you for bothering.

Now for the huge 'BUT' that was written allover the preceding paragraph;). Firstly don't leave the discussion. You have raised a point that has value unfortunately it was obscured by the manner in which you did so. The stereotype of 'stoners' as wasters and slowed exists because there is some truth to it. Some of my fellow 'hash heads' will no doubt rage at me for saying that but I stand by it. The issue is that you generalised it onto the entire population who engage in cannabis consumption. That is the equivalent of suggesting that any and everyone who participates in alcohol consumption is either an alcoholic/belligerent drunk or someone who lacks the innate social confidence to allow them to participate properly in nightlife and drinks to compensate.

Secondly, you do 'still have' your 'own opinions' but what on earth are any of us here for if not to teach and be taught? Be fierce in articulating your opinion and intelligent in defending it, but be equivalently as inquisitive to hear and engage with those of others and be confident enough to realise that you can change your opinion (without even the remotest notion of embarrassment/stupidity) when faced with evidence and experience to the contrary. Ultimately be strong enough to confront but be equally strong enough to accept confrontation.

Thirdly, be interested. Be interested enough to look beyond personal experience. As much as you might implore those 'hash heads' with nothing but positive experiences, opinions and knowledge of cannabis to explore alternate experiences you ought to be willing to do so yourself. There is a myriad of scientific research (and if its not to 'out there' for a "hash head" to say) philosophical and cultural discourse on the import of cannabis.

Hello, i'm just a token comment that takes all the well formulated sense from your post and follows up with something either dismissive, stoically defensive of a narrow minded opinion or "Your Ma"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep have smoked it a fair bit in my youth(along with other "concoctions and aids to fun"). Never regular mind you, the odd weekend thing if it was around. Maybe six times a year at my peak.

Now while there is a lot of guff about the dangers of weed, I will say as my opinion and in my personal experience I have noted it often having a bad effect as a longterm regular thing. Like alcohol it's not the occasional drinker but the alcoholic that's the problem and I've known a couple of "weedaholics". Alcoholism is a dreadful affliction and can wreck lives and families, but again IMH weedaholics can be as bad as far as how it affects the individual(doesn't tend to wreck others/families so much). I've known functional alcoholics holding down jobs etc and for many a year too, but I've personally yet to meet a functioning weedaholic, or one who stayed that way for very long.

I know two functioning weedaholics - both holding down jobs, one just got top of their class in college (went back as mature student) and got a job in the field immediately. just fyi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Every scumbag in towns and cities around Ireland smoke weed. They still go out fighting and robbing, are they immune to the stuff or why doesn't it mellow them out?

Don Kedick wrote: »
    Every scumbag in towns and cities around Ireland smoke weed. They still go out fighting and robbing, are they immune to the stuff or why doesn't it mellow them out?

EVERY? thats quite a number. ..........

(only joined ..heh..)

EVERY? thats quite a number. ..........

(only joined ..heh..)

What do you mean? I didn't say every weed smoker is a scumbag, I said every scumbag is a weed smoker.

What do you mean? I didn't say every weed smoker is a scumbag, I said every scumbag is a weed smoker.

but thats not true either.

I knew someone who was very violent, mostly after drink, he never smoked.

but thats not true either.

I knew someone who was very violent, mostly after drink, he never smoked.

I meant the local scum, you see them in every town and city. People will know them from school, they smoke weed but it doesn't seem to mellow them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

most likely Poly drug use............. http://www.addictionireland.ie/faq/article.asp?FID=44&T=F

Add cannabis to any of these......

Sedatives (Tranquillisers and Sleeping Pills) and Alcohol
    Taking alcohol and sedatives together increases the effects of both drugs and severely effects co-ordination and performance. At high doses, this combination is linked to many cases of overdose deaths annually.
    Cocaine and Alcohol
    This combination can seriously affect your heart and has been a contributory factor in many cocaine related deaths.
    Heroin and Alcohol
    Taking heroin (or any other opiate- type drugs e.g. morphine) with anything else that makes you sleepy, including alcohol, increases your chances of going into a coma-like state from which you may not wake up.
    Ecstasy and Alcohol
    Alcohol dehydrates the body, as does ecstasy. The effect is that organs such as the liver, kidneys and heart have to work harder to cope with both drugs. This combination leads to many well-documented health related problems, including death.
    Ecstasy and Cocaine
    Taking two strong stimulant drugs together may double the stimulation that the user feels, but it also puts extra physical strain on the body. As neither drug is quality tested, taking this combination is high risk.
    Heroin and Cocaine
    Cocaine can speed up the heart immediately, but as the effect of the cocaine wears off, the heroin kicks in and slows down the heart. The result is that the heart rhythm can become erratic and could result in a heart attack.

Where illegal drugs are concerned, however, the problems posed by polydrug use are greatly exacerbated. Sometimes the drug user will deliberately mix more than one type of drug to heighten the effects of a drug or to counteract undesirable side effects. At other times, they may use a dangerous combination of drugs without intending to do so. This is quite common especially when alcohol is taken in addition to prescribed or illegal drugs.

Plus nicotine.

I meant the local scum, you see them in every town and city. People will know them from school, they smoke weed but it doesn't seem to mellow them.

so not every scumbag, that's better.

Some people smoke weed, and don't mellow out, weed affects people differently.

Also ime, people who smoke too much (all day every day kind of thing), tend to be easily agitated and on edge.

I would say these scumbags you know, are simply violent, with or without weed.

There's another thing to take into account, there's a strain of weed no, mixed with something else, I can't remember, someone else might clear it up, doesn't have the "mellowing" affect, but a more "lively" high.

so not every scumbag, that's better.

Some people smoke weed, and don't mellow out, weed affects people differently.

Also ime, people who smoke too much (all day every day kind of thing), tend to be easily agitated and on edge.

I would say these scumbags you know, are simply violent, with or without weed.

There's another thing to take into account, there's a strain of weed no, mixed with something else, I can't remember, someone else might clear it up, doesn't have the "mellowing" affect, but a more "lively" high.

Oh right, I was just wondering. The post above you explained it more. Maybe they're mixing stuff. Most people say it calms them so I thought it strange but the reasons given seem valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Oh right, I was just wondering. The post above you explained it more. Maybe they're mixing stuff. Most people say it calms them so I thought it strange but the reasons given seem valid.
    some people just can't medicate for being scum

• Advertisement

some people just can't medicate for being scum

That seems to be true, I wonder if some scum use it as an aid though. Like if they were about to do a robbery would they smoke some weed to calm them so they could get the job done as it were?

That seems to be true, I wonder if some scum use it as an aid though. Like if they were about to do a robbery would they smoke some weed to calm them so they could get the job done as it were?
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Tried it and puked, hate smoking, give me a few nice pints any day.

no

I see. Maybe they'd use coke to get themselves riled up?

I see. Maybe they'd use coke to get themselves riled up?

or maybe simply because they want to?

Tried it and puked, hate smoking, give me a few nice pints any day.
    isn't that kinda the answer to it all!! you made a mature decision without the aid of the police and legislation!

or maybe simply because they want to?

Well yeah, they want to rob. It's part of their nature, I was just wondering if scum used some drugs as an aid. I'd say it's fairly common.

Well yeah, they want to rob. It's part of their nature, I was just wondering if scum used some drugs as an aid. I'd say it's fairly common.

they might, they might not, most likely the use drugs to escape their mind/for fun.

You know I was tempted to write a very snide response centered around the theme of 'thanks for the non-apology apology'

look it was a genuine apology, I said sorry, I apologised for calling you all "Hash heads", I tried to make amends but you are all just too pigheaded to see that because assuming the worst is easier. I have no idea what all your major malfunction is where you assume that when a person apologies that they are being insincere. As I said I wasn't told to apologise, I could quite easily have said nothing about the infraction and not bothered posting further on the thread and you'd have all been none the wiser. You are all so cynical on here at times I honestly wonder how you function in real life. It would be so easy right now for me to argue that this only goes to show that hash leads to paranoia :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

they might, they might not, most likely the use drugs to escape their mind/for fun.

Oh yeah, scumbags have to have fun too. :D Maybe drug taking and robbing is their ultimate fun thing to do. Who knows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

will.i.am wrote: »
    Well it's something that I've always wondered what percentage of Irish people have smoked weed. Have you tried it and what were you experiences like with it?

Be Jayzus - I threw a drop a roundup on it, raked it up and set foire to it. Jayz it was smokin noicely alroigh. Begobs.

look it was a genuine apology, I said sorry, I apologised for calling you all "Hash heads", I tried to make amends but you are all just too pigheaded to see that because assuming the worst is easier. I have no idea what all your major malfunction is where you assume that when a person apologies that they are being insincere. As I said I wasn't told to apologise, I could quite easily have said nothing about the infraction and not bothered posting further on the thread and you'd have all been none the wiser. You are all so cynical on here at times I honestly wonder how you function in real life. It would be so easy right now for me to argue that this only goes to show that hash leads to paranoia :rolleyes:

You were doing so well...
    *Digging sound effect inserted*
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Yes, many times when I was younger and a few since I got older.

Like everything, if used in moderation can be quiet good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Just stop posting in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Wompa1 wrote: »

"..Using marijuana at an early age could have long-term consequences on your brain.."

18+ only should sort that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

kleefarr wrote: »
    "..Using marijuana at an early age could have long-term consequences on your brain.."

18+ only should sort that out.

21+ i would say, kids dont need weed but alas with it prohibited kids can buy as much as they want with no restrictions. Yay prohibition!!

Advertisement