Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever smoked weed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i did a couple of times donkeys years ago. never did anything for me. i prefer my pint and bensons

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Grayson wrote: »
    No tulips at all? ;)

Incidentally, when googling that, i found this.

I'm scared of it.

Haha! It looks like some sort of weed mace :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Wouldn't touch the stuff. I've seen how it can turn otherwise normal people into scruffy, under motivated slackers with questionable personal hygiene. It also generally leads on to harder drugs like heroine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Only during the Summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Is weed being used as a catch all here? Does it include resin? Or are we talking specifically about weed?

It also generally leads on to harder drugs like heroine.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

COYVB wrote: »
    Wow.

yes. Just wow.

Is weed being used as a catch all here? Does it include resin? Or are we talking specifically about weed?

I'm assuming a catchall. Otherwise we'd need a more specific poll. have you done weed, resin, oil etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Yup.

Great stuff all together.

It's a crime it illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

No.

I don't support criminal activity.
    only a matter of time before that popped up.hear this.cannabis is different in so many ways to other drugs,its bulky to transport,it stinks to high heaven and the profits would be significantly lower than say cocaine.now most cannabis smokers i know are daily users,and its this relatively small but steady stream of income that keeps the dealers business ticking over,which in turn allows them to invest in the harder stuff which is much more profitable,and we all know the higher the cash stakes the higher the body count.also the cannabis smokers provide a pool of people for them to push the harder stuff on.cannabis to drug dealers would be like a newsagent selling cigarettes,they don't make much money at all,and any shopkeeper Will tell you this,but they need to sell them to keep customers coming in.if the government wised up and put some smart legislation in place these gangs would be fkd.people have used cannabis for thousands of years,its not going to stop anytime soon.cannabis users don't want to support criminals who'd stab you over 20quid.although it would be easy to say to them to stop,it ain't gonna happen.most smokers i know over the age of say 35 use it as a relief method for some ailment or other.you are right when you say cannabis use supports criminal activities,in fact its the backbone of these gangs.so its time the government took a more pragmatic approach.

No.

I don't support criminal activity.

What if they grow it themselves in their own home, exclusively for personal use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

No, never. I've had the misfortune of being in the company of stoners in the past, and the vast majority of them live up to the stereotypes. Oily skin, lacking in initiative, wandering through life without any real structure or plans. I'm sure it makes them happy in their own way though, so I'm not going to judge them too harshly. It's not like smoking weed is a great act of civil disobedience. It just seems to suck the pep and vigour out of otherwise sane, rational and inherently decent people.

Sergeant wrote: »
    No, never. I've had the misfortune of being in the company of stoners in the past, and the vast majority of them live up to the stereotypes. Oily skin, lacking in initiative, wandering through life without any real structure or plans. I'm sure it makes them happy in their own way though, so I'm not going to judge them too harshly. It's not like smoking weed is a great act of civil disobedience. It just seems to suck the pep and vigour out of otherwise sane, rational and inherently decent people.

I suspect those people would be the very same way without pot tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Wouldn't touch the stuff. I've seen how it can turn otherwise normal people into scruffy, under motivated slackers with questionable personal hygiene. It also generally leads on to harder drugs like heroine.

No it doesn't.

To answer the thread, yeah I have, and I do it a few times a year. It can be very pleasant, but tbh I prefer to have a beer or 2, and I do that a lot more frequently. Just my personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have smoked it and would smoke it again, would have smoked my fair share but always very casually. I was never going to be someone who did it on a daily basis. I know people who smoke all the time and tbh it's just a pathetic way of life and I also know people who are like myself.

I don't agree that it leads to harder drugs like heroin, I have no intention of taking anything harder, ever and never have, just not my scene. It just all depends on the person. As for the experience, I've had some good laughs with it, would smoke again if the opportunity came up and the time was right, but all the same wouldn't really bother me if I never smoked again.

• Advertisement

while i disagree with most of your opinions on this,valid as they may be,i must concede that cannabis is a gateway drug.ask most heroin addicts what the first drug experience was and the answer you would get off most would be cannabis.that does not suggest that all cannabis users move on to hard drugs.if that were the case 3/4 of the posters on this thread would be smackheads no?

while i disagree with most of your opinions on this,valid as they may be,i must concede that cannabis is a gateway drug.ask most heroin addicts what the first drug experience was and the answer you would get off most would be cannabis.that does not suggest that all cannabis users move on to hard drugs.if that were the case 3/4 of the posters on this thread would be smackheads no?

It's only a gateway drug because of poor education about drugs in general. There's too much "drugs will kill you" talk still going on. Kids see a mate trying pot, and they don't die. Then it becomes "what else were they lying about?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

That was actually the stupidest thing he said, the rest of what he said has at least some grounding in reality.

only a matter of time before that popped up.hear this.cannabis is different in so many ways to other drugs,its bulky to transport,it stinks to high heaven and the profits would be significantly lower than say cocaine.now most cannabis smokers i know are daily users,and its this relatively small but steady stream of income that keeps the dealers business ticking over,which in turn allows them to invest in the harder stuff which is much more profitable,and we all know the higher the cash stakes the higher the body count.also the cannabis smokers provide a pool of people for them to push the harder stuff on.cannabis to drug dealers would be like a newsagent selling cigarettes,they don't make much money at all,and any shopkeeper Will tell you this,but they need to sell them to keep customers coming in.if the government wised up and put some smart legislation in place these gangs would be fkd.people have used cannabis for thousands of years,its not going to stop anytime soon.cannabis users don't want to support criminals who'd stab you over 20quid.although it would be easy to say to them to stop,it ain't gonna happen.most smokers i know over the age of say 35 use it as a relief method for some ailment or other.you are right when you say cannabis use supports criminal activities,in fact its the backbone of these gangs.so its time the government took a more pragmatic approach.

Actually, i kinda agree with the post you're replying to.

I don't agree with people who say, no because it's illegal. That's a silly argument.

But if someone says no, because it supports criminals, then they are looking at the consequences of their actions. And that shows that they're actually thinking about it as opposed to saying "no, because it's against the law"

I don't know if that poster is in favor of legalization or not. But one of the reasons I'm in favor if it is so it removes all that money from criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

May I present you with the "Joan of arc" award for trolling.

• Advertisement

gateway implies that A (marajuana) leads to B (heroin).

Just because everyone in section B (Heroin users) has used marajuana, it's doesn't mean that it was caused by A.

There's far, far more marajuana smokers who have never, and will never touch heroin, than there is heroin users. If A did indeed imply B, then there would be a hundred thousand more heroin addicts in this country.

It's only a gateway drug because of poor education about drugs in general. There's too much "drugs will kill you" talk still going on. Kids see a mate trying pot, and they don't die. Then it becomes "what else were they lying about?"
    spot on.if it was legalized in some form or other,the mystery would be taken away.dutch teens year on year record the lowest levels of cannabis use in the eu.its widely known that any damage that cannabis does happens in the formative,teenage years.if a healthy adult took up smoking dope the worst thing they could expect healthwise would be a chesty cough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

It has been legalized in Washington and one other state in America. I smoke weed once a month or every two months. It is harmless and love the buzz of it. To get a criminal conviction in Ireland if you are caught with it is just stupid.

To say its a gateway to other drugs is just stupid. Binge drinking is far worse than you smoking a harmless plant

Actually, i kinda agree with the post you're replying to.

I don't agree with people who say, no because it's illegal. That's a silly argument.

But if someone says no, because it supports criminals, then they are looking at the consequences of their actions. And that shows that they're actually thinking about it as opposed to saying "no, because it's against the law"

I don't know if that poster is in favor of legalization or not. But one of the reasons I'm in favor if it is so it removes all that money from criminals.
    likewise me.and that's before we even take into account the tax revenue it would generate.

Can you elucidate on how legalising cannabis will take away money from criminals? Who will grow it? What are the methods of selling it? Where will it be grown? Would it be taxed, and if so would the rate be so punitive as to allow a black market to continue?

I've always found this utopian vision of the future to be one of the silliest arguments that potheads put across in their arguments. That legalising the herb will bring about a more peaceful and accommodating society; where criminality is pushed further to the margins, and that somehow its legalisation will result in substantial economic benefits to the country.

The reality is that most people smoke it because they want to feel different than they normally do. That's fine if that is what it is, but trying to conceptualise the entire experience around some more altruistic ideal is a stupid one.

It makes Family Guy funny and affects the production of dopamine in the brain. That's about it.

Can you elucidate on how legalising cannabis will take away money from criminals? Who will grow it? What are the methods of selling it? Where will it be grown? Would it be taxed, and if so would the rate be so punitive as to allow a black market to continue?

I always assumed that those lobbying for its legalisation had in mind that it could be licensed for growth and sale, including taxing the product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Me? Drugs? Never.

I resist all sinful urges as well like alcohol and premarital sex.

Because drugs and alcohol and sex combined is not an amazing experience at all!

>_>

I admit I am arguing from a position of ignorance as I haven't read the scientific literature on the topic, so it is just from my own experience of hopheads.

The type of people I hung around with when I was growing up (educated, upper middle class, sporting) never really got involved in illicit narcotics so I only really came across it in university, and my experience of those people was that they were caught in a continuous cycle of getting high, playing video games and eating Papa John's pizzas. Most of them ended up dropping out of the course and took up menial manual labour or retail jobs.

I'm all for freedom of choice, so I'm not against legalisation per say, I just worry will making it freely available increase consumption and turn our youth into a stinky horde of fastfood eating zombies?

Cannabis killed flutterin bantam........... fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

mikom wrote: »
    Cannabis killed flutterin bantam........... fact.

either that or his bowels clogged up and he gagged on all the bullsh1t:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I admit I am arguing from a position of ignorance as I haven't read the scientific literature on the topic, so it is just from my own experience of hopheads.

A hop head is a person who really enjoys beer or opium at a push.

Maybe a little research wouldn't hurt you.

I've always found this utopian vision of the future to be one of the silliest arguments that potheads put across in their arguments. That legalising the herb will bring about a more peaceful and accommodating society; where criminality is pushed further to the margins, and that somehow its legalisation will result in substantial economic benefits to the country.

The reality is that most people smoke it because they want to feel different than they normally do. That's fine if that is what it is, but trying to conceptualise the entire experience around some more altruistic ideal is a stupid one.

It makes Family Guy funny and affects the production of dopamine in the brain. That's about it.
    of course it Will take money from the gangs.they could grow it yes,but why would they?a cannabis smoker would rather buy the goods from a government controlled outlet than off some shady cnut.can you remember the weed being sold a while back was being sprayed with glass,sand silicone and other crap?criminals done that to increase PROFIT.that's the bottom line with these people.did it happen in Holland or Switzerland where it could be obtained legally?damn right it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Yeah, I used to do it the whole time but now maybe once on the weekend. Frankly because it just too expensive! And I get paranoid now, I have to be in the right setting. Love sharing a joint between me and my boyfriend and then having cuddles :)

I was stoned in work before (just a part time cashier thing, not anything where I could do nay real damage :P) and it was actually so much fun. Sweeping had never been so exciting!

I don't know how people can be so against weed but think drinking is so acceptable. If alcohol was invented now it would be up there with cocaine etc for it's effects and probation. Sometimes my hangovers have been worse than come downs off harder drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I also don't like smoking weed as much anymore because I can't stop eating. I went to Amsterdam before and I put on so much weight. Woke up in the morning still feeling so full as had eaten so much all day/night! Sick. Did about 5 poos a day :(

Good fro some people though...!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-89WwKUAKba4/URRj4yyW3GI/AAAAAAAAXpQ/veyPMdrxi4s/s1600/stoner.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Yes and i will till the day i die.

ontill such time.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I haven't read through this thread yet, but I have a feeling it's only going to go in one way.

I smoke I would say 4 out of 7 days in a week, I enjoy it, and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on me so I'll continue to do so :)

A hop head is a person who really enjoys beer or opium at a push.

Maybe a little research wouldn't hurt you.

:o

Think I mixed up hophead and pothead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

yes,im smoking a bifter now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

First year in college. Usually ended in nausea. Never since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All them stoners are hepped up on goofballs don't you know?

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Goofballs_broch_ed.jpg

I wonder are there many people in Ireland today nursing a rotten hangover after having a few too many beers up in the Aviva premium section yesterday?

I wonder are there many people in Ireland today nursing a rotten hangover after having a few too many beers up in the Aviva premium section yesterday?

But thats the thing. You'll have people at that carry on a weekend, but then they're in their freshly pressed shirt and hugo boss suit ready to take on the dynamic world of modern commerce come Monday morning.

Whereas your average stoner is a much heavier user. Smoke most days and never have much drive for self-actualisation. Cannabis seems to be a much more pervasive drug. It seems to penetrate every aspect of a stoners life from their diet (instant noodles, dorritos etc.) to the movies they enjoy (Clerks, Harold and Kumar). Just my experience anyway.

danslevent wrote: »

I don't know how people can be so against weed but think drinking is so acceptable. If alcohol was invented now it would be up there with cocaine etc for it's effects and probation. Sometimes my hangovers have been worse than come downs off harder drugs.

That's because you drank to excess. The vast majority of people who drink do so in a controlled and respectful manner. They use it as a compliment to food, or as a way of enjoying a social event. Using the Irish drinking habit as a scope of reference for the effects of alcohol is a spurious one at best.

Comparing alcohol and cannabis is yet another nonsensical comparison made by the rabid stoner lobby.

Whereas your average stoner is a much heavier user. Smoke most days and never have much drive for self-actualisation.

Your average stoner isn't your average pot smoker though, no more than your average alcoholic is your average drinker

But thats the thing. You'll have people at that carry on on a weekend, but then they're in there freshly pressed shirt and hugo boss suit ready to take on the dynamic world of modern commerce come Monday morning.

Whereas your average stoner is a much heavier user. Smoke most days and never have much drive for self-actualisation.

'Cept I have tried both alcohol and cannabis, yet you claim to have tried only one.
    A case of "I know my truth, now tell me yours".
    Cannabis had a less deleterious effect on me.

You speak of what you do not know.
    Time to inform yourself......... m'kay.

• Advertisement

'Cept I have tried both alcohol and cannabis, yet you claim to have tried only one.
    A case of "I know my truth, now tell me yours".
    Cannabis had a less deleterious effect on me.

You speak of what you do not know.
    Time to inform yourself......... m'kay.

Fair point there. Can't argue with that really.

I would pose this question though. Would you take a heroin addicts word if he told you gear is fantastic and he's taken both heroin and weed? No of course you wouldn't! You'd see the negative impact it has on his life and say no sir, keep your poison, thanking you very much.

Same for me. Haven't smoked the stuff, and I don't need to to see what path it leads down.

I don't think you'd find too many heroin users telling you it's fantastic tbh

I don't think you'd find too many heroin users telling you it's fantastic tbh

Okay, replace heroin with crystal meth. I have definitely seen documentaries where users are espousing their love of glass, without regret. Would you take it then?

Okay, replace heroin with crystal meth. I have definitely seen documentaries where users are espousing their love of glass, without regret. Would you take it then?

Again, they'd be in the minority. You'll find people who'll tell you that cutting yourself is great too if you look. Or staving yourself. Or doing just about anything

Fair point there. Can't argue with that really.

I would pose this question though. Would you take a heroin addicts word if he told you gear is fantastic and he's taken both heroin and weed? No of course you wouldn't! You'd see the negative impact it has on his life and say no sir, keep your poison, thanking you very much.

Same for me. Haven't smoked the stuff, and I don't need to to see what path it leads down.

I'm not trying to convince you to take anything.
    I am just call you out on the uninformed shite you are posting.

Trying to muddy the waters with references to heroin, just makes your claims even more lame.

My truth........ Late 30's, 5 bed house (own outright), college graduate, self employed, car owner (taxed and insured), long term partner of 10+ years, 2 dogs, social drinker, never been arrested, never even had penalty points.
    This is the path that cannabis led down for me.
    Horrible..........

I vape.

I inform myself, then I make my decisions based on that.

Muddy, muddy, muddy.
    You must have missed the docus showing you the results.
    Inform yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement