Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property values website to go live

Options
  • 10-03-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

A new website indicating property values on which the new property tax will be based goes live this afternoon.

Property owners will be able to check what property values are in their area on www.revenue.ie.

The valuations will be based on a variety of sources including the recently established property price register, the An Post geodirectory and stamp duty data.

Other information such as the 2011 Census results and the 2011 Pobal HP Deprivation Index will also be used.

The website will divide the country into electoral districts of which there are around 3,000 in the country. There are between 500 and 1000 properties in each district.

Revenue says this is not an exact science but the system used works well in the majority of cases.

It also stresses the valuations given on the website are for guidance.

www.rte.ie/news/2013/0310/375926-property-value-website/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Is it me or are the colour tones really difficult to tell apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's not you. Yes, it is difficult to distinguish between the colours on the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well, theyve got mine wrong by 3 bands.

The colours are ridiculously hard to tell apart, but if you click on the map it shows you the band valuation.

Why didn't they use completely different colours. God damn designers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

There's a slider on top to adjust the opacity of the bands overlay. Not ideal, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Bickering over the colours? They're not great but it sounds like a complaint for the sake of complaining. It tells you the estimate just by clicking on the area. Never mind the colours!

Bickering over the colours? They're not great but it sounds like a complaint for the sake of complaining. It tells you the estimate just by clicking on the area. Never mind the colours!

No bickering. Just a comment. But yes clicking does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

The colours impact on the usability so I think its fair to comment on it.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    No bickering. Just a comment. But yes clicking does help.

Just thought it was a whinge over a non-issue. I think it would look a lot worse had it been multi-coloured. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Well, theyve got mine wrong by 3 bands.

Over or under? From a quick browse in my area most seem ok, to undervalued, esp for the detached places in nicer estaes when compared to the PPR

The colours impact on the usability so I think its fair to comment on it.

These sort of heat maps are the best way to do it IMO. I think the only issue is that there is one to many bands. Less bands would mean a bigger differentiation between each shade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

mel.b wrote: »
    Over or under? From a quick browse in my area most seem ok, to undervalued, esp for the detached places in nicer estaes when compared to the PPR

Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Phew... If I was about half a mile up the road I would be in trouble... But then again they are very nice houses up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Dublin being raped as expected.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Dublin being raped as expected.

Are the cost of houses in Dublin not more expensive on average? That's what the estimates are based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Are the cost of houses in Dublin not more expensive on average? That's what the estimates are based on.

That was why I used the word expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Over.

Ouch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazingly they've got the correct band for me, probably because I'm the only person who's bought a house matching that description in the town in about a year... (pre-2000 terraced)

edit: rest of the town is undervalued quite consistently based on sale prices, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

bought my place just before x-mas at the top end of one of the bands.

They've put my place in the band above it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They have me wrong by 3 bands.

Valuing the property at 150,000 - 200,000. I bought for 78,000 last year and an exact same apartment went Sale Agreed for 85,000 last week.

I presume we'll be able to manually edit this when the time comes? I obviously have proof of the 78k purchase and the 85,000 sale agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

50 shades of peach.

My house property is pretty accurate but my apt is out by 1-2 bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'll be using http://www.myhome.ie/propertytax rather than this heap of scrap. It overvalues my property for sure. No similar house in the area has made it into the band Revenue says is the average for the area. The electoral divisions are far too blunt a way of doing this.

We need postcodes for stuff like this to work accurately. Just something else the world takes for granted and we don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Kind of nuts that they don't take no of rooms or square meterage into consideration. My 1 bed shoebox apt is valued the same as a 3 bed penthouse apartment. Mine is way over valued.

I'm using the http://www.propertypriceregister.ie/ as a way to justify any changes I make since this is essentially revenue data.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This "guide" is basically a complete waste of money. There are far better ways of more accurately (by a wide margin) of estimating the value of your property than by using this "tool".

If the refine it in the future then fair enough, not a complete waste of money but as it stands...useless. It'll only be used by those who know that it's undervaluing their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

murphaph wrote: »
    I'll be using http://www.myhome.ie/propertytax rather than this heap of scrap. It overvalues my property for sure. No similar house in the area has made it into the band Revenue says is the average for the area. The electoral divisions are far too blunt a way of doing this.

We need postcodes for stuff like this to work accurately. Just something else the world takes for granted and we don't have.

Just used myhome, Apparently i'll be owed nearly a million, and people said the property tax was bad :cool:

Screenshot6_zps8dd0c4f2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

Hopefully the same people who designed the website will not be setting up the payments system . Will they be given us a disc to put in the front window for the guards to throw a torch on and tell us its out of date!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Congratulations to the idiots who designed this crap.

From the sweeping generalisation, that a one bed apartment is in the same band that the guy with the 6 bed, 3 storey home on my road owns is beyond daft.

Added to the fact that the colour scheme makes it nigh on impossible to differeniate any houses.

My road has coloured every house the same - my own house is probably about right. The one bed apartment around the corner wouldn't be close or the pensioners little cottages not near it.

Advertisement