Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property values website to go live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Band 3. I'm happy with that. Expected it to be in band 4!
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Congratulations to the idiots who designed this crap.

From the sweeping generalisation, that a one bed apartment is in the same band that the guy with the 6 bed, 3 storey home on my road owns is beyond daft.

Added to the fact that the colour scheme makes it nigh on impossible to differeniate any houses.

My road has coloured every house the same - my own house is probably about right. The one bed apartment around the corner wouldn't be close or the pensioners little cottages not near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Barracuda1 wrote: »
    Hopefully the same people who designed the website will not be setting up the payments system . Will they be given us a disc to put in the front window for the guards to throw a torch on and tell us its out of date!!!
    The programmers can only work with the data available. The real idiocy is that we have no postcodes and that we don't collect any information about the property being sold, apart from the price. It#s not enough data to work with.

We have no post codes. A GB postcode can identify an individual street (a letter in GB can be delivered with just the postcode and the house number). If we had postcodes, this thing would have been useful, as most properties in a given postcode will be very similar if not identical.

They have absolutely no information available about the type/size of properties sold as this was not and still is not required when a property is sold. It clearly should be required from now on to build a useful data model for the future.

It is a farce. It is clearly not fit for purpose. It reminds me of the property price register when it was unveiled. Very vague stuff. Electoral divisions are WAY too big to determine property valuations.

Congratulations to the idiots who designed this crap.

From the sweeping generalisation, that a one bed apartment is in the same band that the guy with the 6 bed, 3 storey home on my road owns is beyond daft.

Added to the fact that the colour scheme makes it nigh on impossible to differeniate any houses.

My road has coloured every house the same - my own house is probably about right. The one bed apartment around the corner wouldn't be close or the pensioners little cottages not near it.
    It's not accurate but you're not using it properly. You just click on your house and you'll get the info, so forget about the colours. You need to select property type, so a semi should not be in the same band as an apartment (though I've found examples where they are).

It's still no use though, you're right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

So if I'm correct a person living in a detached small cottage will be paying the same amount as someone who has a detached 3000sq house because there in the same electoral district?.

Criteria for valuing your house is

Electoral District
    Type (not size) of house
    And whether it was built before 2000

What happened to variety of sources including the recently established property price register, the An Post geodirectory and stamp duty data

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

murphaph wrote: »
    It's not accurate but you're not using it properly. You just click on your house and you'll get the info, so forget about the colours. You need to select property type, so a semi should not be in the same band as an apartment (though I've found examples where they are).

It's still no use though, you're right about that.

Clicked on most of the road and it's still the same value.

For all the bluster and bullsh*t from the revenue how could they f*ck up this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Houses are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, so if the revenue can get me an offer on my family home for what they think it's worth (double what the last identical house on my road went for) then I'll gladly pay the tax and accept the offer. Otherwise no. What a crap system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Some joke, they put no effort into it, they have my mums house a 2 bed semi in a council area down as the same value as my own house which is a 4 bed with a garage in Killiney..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Clicked on most of the road and it's still the same value.

For all the bluster and bullsh*t from the revenue how could they f*ck up this?
    Lets be clear. The map is an indicator for the average price in the area. A 3 bed semi-d will be valued less than a 6 bed semi-d but that won't be reflected in this map.

There will be other indicators to aid people to come to a more accurate valuation.

The map is not the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

cast_iron wrote: »
    Lets be clear. The map is an indicator for the average price in the area. A 3 bed semi-d will be valued less than a 6 bed semi-d but that won't be reflected in this map.

There will be other indicators to aid people to come to a more accurate valuation.

Doesnt get away from the amount mistakes in it though, the houses facing me are all Detached yet they have them marked as Semi-D, so if their owners don't declare this, they don't pay the extra. Yet, if they sell them in the next few years its in the interest of the new owners to declare this. It will get very messy.

Well what was the point of indicating anything at all?

Seriously why bother when they are out by miles?

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Doesnt get away from the amount mistakes in it though, the houses facing me are all Detached yet they have them marked as Semi-D, so if their owners don't declare this, they don't pay the extra. Yet, if they sell them in the next few years its in the interest of the new owners to declare this. It will get very messy.
    I'm pretty sure it's you that picks whether the maps displays prices for semi-d or detached. The map itself doesn't differentiate. Thought the price will be adjusted accordingly IF you indicate what type of house.

Either way, the owner must declare all the relevant details - it's a self assessment tax. If the new owner discovers this in a few years, I assume the previous owner will be investigated and justify their declaration.

Not terribly messy really considering every house in the country is being evaluated in one go.

bullvine wrote: »

Property type is not marked on the map at all. You're doing it wrong.

Well what was the point of indicating anything at all?

Seriously why bother when they are out by miles?
    Because there will be numerous aids for ordinary joe soaps to evaluate their own house. This is merely one of them, it's by no means a definitive price bracket for anyone's house.

Consider it the average, ie. 3 bed semi-d for a given area. If your house has 5 beds, you will adjust accordingly - from this average. And I'm sure there will be others aids too that will all add up to give a reasonably accurate guide valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I'm in band 6 300-350k if I look out my window the exact houses directly across the road are band 4 200-250k WTF?

Considering they think my house is worth 300-350 when I paid 235k for it 2years ago they can fcuk off and whistle for their money based on band 6.

I'll be appealing.

Duvetdays wrote: »
    I'm in band 6 300-350k if I look out my window the exact houses directly across the road are band 4 200-250k WTF?

Considering they think my house is worth 300-350 when I paid 235k for it 2years ago they can fcuk off and whistle for their money based on band 6.

I'll be appealing.
    It's self assessed.

Because there will be numerous aids for ordinary joe soaps to evaluate their own house. This is merely one of them, it's by no means a definitive price bracket for anyone's house.

Consider it the average, ie. 3 bed semi-d for a given area. If your house has 5 beds, you will adjust accordingly - from this average. And I'm sure there will be others aids too that will all add up to give a reasonably accurate guide valuation.

On my road there have been houses sold ranging from €1.2 million to €160,000 in the last 5 years.

House like mine sold for €700,000 4 years ago. Similar one sold for €280,000 last year yet the website has me down at €400,000. Where do you start?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My house in a row of 2/3 bed small terraced houses on the North side of Cork city (50 minute walk) - not on any bus route - but just over the county border and overlooking a field, with no street lighting and one footpath is in the same band as a friend's large 4 bed, terraced (but class II listed buildings) in a very affluent South side suburb, 15 minutes walk to city centre, loads of amenities, 2 bus routes etc etc....

:confused:

On my road there have been houses sold ranging from €1.2 million to €160,000 in the last 5 years.

House like mine sold for €700,000 4 years ago. Similar one sold for €280,000 last year yet the website has me down at €400,000. Where do you start?
    Confusing it with prices from 4 years ago is not where you start anyway.

The one that sold for 280k would seem like a good guide for you as you state it is "similar" and the price is relatively recent. This is where the self assessment part comes it. The map showing 400k will obviously have variations house to house, especially if as you say the same street have such widely varying properties.

Some areas won't have recent sales, so in that case a range of guides will have to be looked at. The map is simply one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hmmm- my townhouse gets classified as an apartment, and its on the boundary of South Dublin and Fingal- 10 meters away the next block over are 150k more expensive, just because of how the map has valued them. None have sold here in years- and the last ones were withdrawn 2 years ago at roughly what Revenue are suggesting as a current price, so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.........

Lets wait until the letters arrive and see what they say.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

What a useless load of crap!

It's completely wrong to just paint large swathes of a town or an area with the same brush. That's not how a property is valued.

How much did this exercise cost revenue? A couple of million or more i'd say. It is money down the drain. Whoever thought up this concept should be pilloried and fired.

(RSI number withheld)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

deandean wrote: »
    What a useless load of crap!

It's completely wrong to just paint large swathes of a town or an area with the same brush. That's not how a property is valued.

How much did this exercise cost revenue? A couple of million or more i'd say. It is money down the drain. Whoever thought up this concept should be pilloried and fired.

(RSI number withheld)

The values are just guides and you self evaluate the value of your own home. See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/valuation.html.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Hmmm- my townhouse gets classified as an apartment, and its on the boundary of South Dublin and Fingal- 10 meters away the next block over are 150k more expensive, just because of how the map has valued them. None have sold here in years- and the last ones were withdrawn 2 years ago at roughly what Revenue are suggesting as a current price, so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.........

Lets wait until the letters arrive and see what they say.........
    It's not going to clarify anything when the letters come out. They'll give you the valuation you can find on the site from toady. It's a farce really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

wrong by by 1 band according to that map. apparantly im in the 250 - 300k band despite no property since 2010 in my area sold in that range.

So the last 49 sales in 2011, 2012 and 2013 are irrelevent accoridng to revenues calculations every single one of those was a bargain it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

D3PO wrote: »
    wrong by by 1 band according to that map. apparantly im in the 250 - 300k band despite no property since 2010 in my area sold in that range.

So the last 49 sales in 2011, 2012 and 2013 are irrelevent accoridng to revenues calculations every single one of those was a bargain it seems.

The "House" always wins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why does values differ depending if house was built before or after 2000?

Which has higher value .. post 2000 house?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mine is in the 100 to 150 k range for my 4 bed which is about right considering I live in the middle of nowhere wich no amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Tow

This is Total Crap. They have houses which were going 1M to 2M on Lower Churchtown road grouped in (300 to 350!) with those in the Windy Arbour Corpo estate!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

salonfire wrote: »
    Why does values differ depending if house was built before or after 2000?

Which has higher value .. post 2000 house?

Depending on where in the country, the prices go in both directions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

tvc15 wrote: »
    Depending on where in the country, the prices go in both directions!

Yeah, I found that too which is why I am left confused! There must be some rationale behind it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

salonfire wrote: »
    Yeah, I found that too which is why I am left confused! There must be some rationale behind it ..

Post 2000 houses are probably higher BER (but possibly built like crap, seeing as the BER is mostly notional) but also likely significantly smaller. My 1972 3 bed terrace has the same floor area as a 4 bed semi-d from a new estate next door for starters.

So it would very much depend on the type of houses built both before and after 2000. Which is in itself an arbitrary date to have picked.

Advertisement