Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property values website to go live

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Ok so when do we find out how much we pay in each band or has it been announced :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

royaler83 wrote: »
    Ok so when do we find out how much we pay in each band or has it been announced :confused:

.18% of the midpoint afaik ie band 200-250, property tax will be 225 X .18% per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Have got 3 very different values for my home in Co Donegal, a 4 bed detached house built in 2003, from these 3 sources:
    1) Revenue website: 100000-150000
    2) Daft.ie: 194000 (2 bathrooms); 174000 (1 bathroom) {I have 1 bathroom & 1 ensuite}
    3) Money Guide Ireland: 108000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

smccarrick wrote: »
    I wish it were so simple.
    Collection of the Local Property Tax (which is a misnomer if ever I saw one) was originally with the local councils, and was among other things to replace the NPPR. We all know just how well collection of the NPPR went- so the government decided the only way to give collection of the property tax teeth was to rope in the Revenue Commissioners. Given the limited time scale involved, and the bizarre state of the resources at their disposal- someone in there came up with this scheme to colour in ordinance survey maps (in the most shocking shades of orange imaginable).

We were all fed stories of the ESB Networks database, the Property Price Register database and a myriad of other wholly incompatible data sources being used to nail property prices- when none of them had any great commonality that could be used for data normalisation across the myriad datasources they were presented with. Added to all of this- they were given an unrealistic timeframe to implement this- and few resources- and we ended up with our crap maps that mean nothing.

Its a ridiculous situation- but blaming the Revenue Commissioners is refusing to acknowledge they did the best they could, in a ridiculous timeframe, with silly resources at their disposal.

Exactly. Daft.ie released their own version of a valuation calculator and they have probably the most comprehensive database of asking prices in Ireland. Unlike Revenue they know how many bedrooms, bathrooms, etc a house has. And they know details about the back garden and (sometimes) if the property has been extended. They also have a pretty good team of coders at their disposal.

Yet despite all this there is already evidence of Daft getting it wrong in some instances. There are always going to be glitches and anomalies regardless of who undertakes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

lipso wrote: »
    Have got 3 very different values for my home in Co Donegal, a 4 bed detached house built in 2003, from these 3 sources:
    2) Daft.ie: 194000 (2 bathrooms); 174000 (1 bathroom) {I have 1 bathroom & 1 ensuite}
    They are not very different. 1 and 3 are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

1& 3 are same band

What was the purchase price - and what value would you put on it ?

royaler83 wrote: »

All the figures can be found here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-how-much-will-it-be.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

House bought new in 2003 for €169000 - I would value it now about €150000 - €180000??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

House bought new in 2003 for €169000 - I would value it now about €150000 - €180000??
    Based on the CSO's most recent property price index, I would value your property at €135k.

That's very much a rough figure, it may differ depending on the area your house is in, amenities, etc. You need to see what similar properties in the area have been selling at and work it out from there.

Definitely put it in Band 2 100k to 150k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even though it puts me in the next band up, I reckon Daft's estimate is more accurate than the Revenue website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

looksee wrote: »
    Even though it puts me in the next band up, I reckon Daft's estimate is more accurate than the Revenue website.
    Why would you voluntarily put yourself in a higher band based on some rough online calculators?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I didn't say I would, I am just saying I think it is more accurate.

Advertisement