Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older Dog peeing in house

• 10-03-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Wonder if anyone can help with some constructive suggestions?!: my partner has two dogs - a 17yr old (but still sprightly) Jack Russell cross female and a 10yr old (but "elderly") Cairn Terrier cross male. Both were rescue animals: the Cairn Terrier, came into this household only a couple of years ago - thinking was he had been pretty badly abused, hit (possibly by a car), so difficulty in walking; the Jack Russell since she was about 1 or 2 yrs old. The latter started peeing indoors (there's now no option to leave her/them outdoors) some time ago, but he seems to be copying her. We've tried some of the puppy-training methods (those sort of reinforced pads that're impregnated with some sort of when-I-need-to-pee attractants), but to no avail. Any other tried-and-tested suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yolande wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone can help with some constructive suggestions?!: my partner has two dogs - a 17yr old (but still sprightly) Jack Russell cross female and a 10yr old (but "elderly") Cairn Terrier cross male. Both were rescue animals: the Cairn Terrier, came into this household only a couple of years ago - thinking was he had been pretty badly abused, hit (possibly by a car), so difficulty in walking; the Jack Russell since she was about 1 or 2 yrs old. The latter started peeing indoors (there's now no option to leave her/them outdoors) some time ago, but he seems to be copying her. We've tried some of the puppy-training methods (those sort of reinforced pads that're impregnated with some sort of when-I-need-to-pee attractants), but to no avail. Any other tried-and-tested suggestions?

My now sadly departed JRT bitch started to pee in the house when she was about 14 - spoke to the vet about this and were told that this is common in neutered bitches when they get old (not sure about male dogs as we were only discussing a bitch). She was put on Incurin ( http://www.msd-animal-health.co.nz/products/incurin_/020_product_details.aspx) and never had any issues with her peeing inside again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, have you had the dogs checked out by your vet on this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yolande

Thanks, Bannasidhe, for that suggestion! - looking up your recommendation - and will say it to the vet again...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Say it to vet to be on safe side.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Say it to vet to be on safe side.

thanks, Dave: will do: hoping to speak with him later this week!

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    OP, have you had the dogs checked out by your vet on this issue?

Have spoken with the vet, DBB - some years ago - when he did check them out, but will definitely have another chat with him later this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

My older dog also started peeing in the house. We brought him to the vet and the vet said it was just because he was hold and so he couldn't hold it in anymore. We had to put nappies on him as the place was being destroyed (wooden flooring) Sadly, he past away before Christmas :-(

Kloecor wrote: »
    My older dog also started peeing in the house. We brought him to the vet and the vet said it was just because he was hold and so he couldn't hold it in anymore. We had to put nappies on him as the place was being destroyed (wooden flooring) Sadly, he past away before Christmas :-(

...ah, I'm sorry to read that he's passed away :-(
    In lighter-hearted moments, it's crossed my mind to go the nappy route, but - at the moment, anyway - it's not an issue since flooring isn't being destroyed, though there is constant mopping up and disinfecting....
    I'm sorry for your loss, though....

...ah, I'm sorry to read that he's passed away :-(
    In lighter-hearted moments, it's crossed my mind to go the nappy route, but - at the moment, anyway - it's not an issue since flooring isn't being destroyed, though there is constant mopping up and disinfecting....
    I'm sorry for your loss, though....

Awh thanks very much :) It was the worst time ever, think I spent weeks unable to talk to anyone without bursting in to tears! He did live a happy, healthy, long life tho :-)

Constant mopping can get very horrible after a few months! If you do however start putting on nappies, just get normal human nappies and cut a hole for the tail! It worked great for us. Quickly changing the nappy rather than taking out the mop again is a lot handier! Altho it can be confusing for the dog when it pees and nothing is there haha

Kloecor wrote: »
    Awh thanks very much :) It was the worst time ever, think I spent weeks unable to talk to anyone without bursting in to tears! He did live a happy, healthy, long life tho :-)

Constant mopping can get very horrible after a few months! If you do however start putting on nappies, just get normal human nappies and cut a hole for the tail! It worked great for us. Quickly changing the nappy rather than taking out the mop again is a lot handier! Altho it can be confusing for the dog when it pees and nothing is there haha

I was wondering how to fit them - and whether there were special "older dog nappies" being produced!!

My own dog died a few years ago - like you, I was in bits for ages afterwards - and still miss her - still find it...hmmm..."uncomfortable" going places where I would often have taken her walking.... It's amazing how "under-our-skin" they get, how much they become part of the fabric of our lives.... *sigh*

But, thanks for all your info and help - I'd begun to think I was just getting a bit "precious" about it all!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I was wondering how to fit them - and whether there were special "older dog nappies" being produced!!

My own dog died a few years ago - like you, I was in bits for ages afterwards - and still miss her - still find it...hmmm..."uncomfortable" going places where I would often have taken her walking.... It's amazing how "under-our-skin" they get, how much they become part of the fabric of our lives.... *sigh*

But, thanks for all your info and help - I'd begun to think I was just getting a bit "precious" about it all!!!!

Got one of those 'older dog' nappies for my Gráinne - it was like some bizarre sanitary towel holder/fetishwear/chastity belt contraption - tbh when we first put it on her we threw ourselves around the place laughing at the look on her face. It also wasn't very effective as it tended to move.
    Thankfully the incurin sorted the problem out.

Know what you mean about them getting under your skin. Gráinne was with me for 16 years and two weeks (but who's counting...). It was the 6th month aniversary of her death last Sunday :(

You can get dog nappies but they are hard to find (unless you want to use ebay) but I found them very expensive! My dog was a toy dog size so it was very easy to just pick up premature baby nappies. He also didn't seem to mind them at all.

Ah loosing a dog is just the worst. I've never been so upset! I couldn't sleep or anything for weeks. I still have his leads, collars, toys etc. all hanging around. Can't bring myself to even move them out of place! Moving his bed was the worst! Luckily I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, otherwise the house would have been so quite and horrible to be in without the little one. I'm upset just thinking about it again, I don't think it's really ever something that will ever leave your heart. Dogs are just so special and it's amazing when they're gone how you miss all the little REALLY ANNOYING things that they do! I still have half a pack of the nappies he wore in the hall. Maybe one day I'll do something with all his stuff. It's so hard tho :(

And it's my pleasure. I know exactly how it is!

23724_10151320718624842_1596399427_n.jpg

There's my little one that passed away. Just had to share a pic haha he was so adoreable!

Advertisement