Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white screen on boot up

Options
  • 10-03-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I recently dropped my laptop and it worked for a while,then just stopped booting up as the insurance covered it i sent it for repair. It has since come back repaired but has a white screen with lines across it on boot up and sometimes hangs on boot up too.
    They stated on the repair sheet that they repaired bad sectors just wondering is it OK to keep using or will my HDD eventually fail, I don't want to get to the stage where my insurance is up and then it bites the dust
    thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

mightyreds wrote: »
    they repaired bad sectors

They did what???

You don't repair bad sectors, you backup personal data and replace the HDD, end of story. HDDs are as cheap as 50 yoyos, SSDs are not much dearer (though they're smaller).

As for the white lines, they might be the result of a dodgy connection. Boot from a Linux Live CD instead and see how this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Torqay wrote: »
    They did what???

You don't repair bad sectors, you backup personal data and replace the HDD, end of story. HDDs are as cheap as 50 yoyos, SSDs are not much dearer (though they're smaller).

As for the white lines, they might be the result of a dodgy connection. Boot from a Linux Live CD instead and see how this goes.

thanks for the reply just says on the repair sheet "repaired bad sectors" that's the review of the fix, exactly those words. Do you think I should go back and look for a replacement of the HDD, I will try that boot see is it still the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

thanks for the reply just says on the repair sheet "repaired bad sectors" that's the review of the fix, exactly those words. Do you think I should go back and look for a replacement of the HDD, I will try that boot see is it still the same.

You cant repair bad sectors, remapping can be done, but if a hard disk has some bad sectors the amount will likely grow over time, so its better off being replaced.
    The display issue wouldn't have any connection to the hard disk though, could be panel/data cable or video chip problem.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Get HD Tune and run the Error Scan (not quick). If it reports any bad sectors (red), backup your personal files immediately and get the HDD replaced (and consider a solid state drive instead, here's 128 GB SanDisk SSD for 70 quid).

But before you invest any money, make sure everything else is OK, i.e. with a Linux Live distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Thanks torqay got that replaced and sorted now everything is going ok. Just wondering what happens when bad sectors are repaired is it the HDD will eventually go or why would you not repair them, is it just cause its so cheap to replace them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can't repair them, just tell the OS not to use them; when they start to appear, its almost certain there will be more.

Advertisement