Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with moisturiser!

• 10-03-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me. I still haven't found a moisturiser that suits me.

My skin is oily/combination with a tendency to be sensitive sometimes as well! The last couple of moisturisers I've used have helped the oiliness but still left my skin with a sheen, and can very slightly sting sometimes also. They are a Garnier one and an Avon Solutions one, both for oily/combination skin.

I can't go near Vichy's Normaderm range as a moisturiser I tried from that range caused a reaction (even though I use Vichy's Purete Thermale foaming cleanser with no issues).

It's hard to know whether I should be looking at ranges for sensitive skin over oily, or vice versa! Ideally a product that would cater for both!

I've no issues with spending a bit more really, but I'd need to get a sample of the product first to make sure my skin doesn't react to it...

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I love dermalogica ultracalming serum concentrate moisturoiser. I have combination skin that's very sensitive and it works great for me, nearly every other product stings when I apply it but not this one. Might be worth trying out a sample to see if it suited you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Thanks mimihops, do you know if Dermalogica stockists typically give out samples?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Infallable

I have sensitive skin and I use clinique moisture surge extended thirst relief and i find it great. It is quite expensive .. I think I pay €46 for a jar of it , but it's great. Its more of a gel than a cream and la roche posay and others stings me, so I think it's worth it. The girls at the clinique counter in BT's are lovely and they take your number and call you a week or so after you buy and if it's not right for you you can bring in the jar and they'll give you a refund. Great service!

And it's great under make up as it dries in 2 mins and is lovely and soft not like other moisturizers that take aggggges to dry in properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I'm not sure but I presume they would as it's quite expensive, I just bought a sample kit online for the ultracalming range and then bought the large size of the couple of items I liked online after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I'd look into La Roche Posay or Avene for sensitive skin. They are available in larger Boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm quite fond of Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturiser. It's very gentle and lasts for ages as a small bit goes a long way. You might want to try a sample before splashing out though, as you might find it a bit shiny after a few hours.

Would putting a bit of powder on afterwards help with the shine though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Thanks mimihops, do you know if Dermalogica stockists typically give out samples?

Some places will do free skin mapping and give you samples. Give a few of them a call as it would be worth finding out what they would recommend and they'll give you a few samples.

Otherwise you can buy samples on Ebay.

I'd look into La Roche Posay or Avene for sensitive skin. They are available in larger Boots.

I ended up going into a nearby chemist and got a couple of samples of Avene off them. Tried the light hydrating cream this morning. It was okay, my skin drank it up so I think it might even be too light for me.
    Morgase wrote: »
    I'm quite fond of Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturiser. It's very gentle and lasts for ages as a small bit goes a long way. You might want to try a sample before splashing out though, as you might find it a bit shiny after a few hours.

Would putting a bit of powder on afterwards help with the shine though?

Oh yeah I have to use powder every day anyway cause you'd be able to see your reflection in my face otherwise! :pac:
    I just would prefer a moisturiser that would leave my skin soft AND matte.
    Some places will do free skin mapping and give you samples. Give a few of them a call as it would be worth finding out what they would recommend and they'll give you a few samples.

Otherwise you can buy samples on Ebay.

Thanks, I think I'll do just that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lollyb

Hi , I would recommend either Clinique or Dermalogica brands also as these are great for sensitive skins when using the right products , but you should definitely ask for samples before purchasing full price bottles to see how your skin reacts to each . I work in the beauty industry my knowledge of both these above brands are that they have a clinical approach to skin concerns so for your oily /sensitive skin either should work for you . Hope you find one that suits you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I couldn't recommend Dermologica enough. You'll notice such a difference with your skin, especially if you follow a routine of cleansing and moisturising with their products. I know they're a little expensive but you pay for quality.

Dermalogica do skin mapping so you could go to your local salon, get mapped and then try out samples of the products recommended for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Another vote for Dermalogica here! I have oily skin which is probe to breakouts and I'm highly sensitive (can't go near anything like nivea or garner without a bright red face). Active Moist is brill, it's light and doesn't feel too greasy. Make up goes on magnificently over it too. Definitely pick up some samples before you buy cos it is pretty pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I've only recently gotten my fairly severe acne under control and Lush's Skin Drink certainly helps prevent the drying out all the chemicals cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Paeru

I second Lush for having really nice moisturisers, and they give you pretty substantial free samples so you can try different ones to see what you like. I use Full of Grace, which is a solid, and really helps with my redness.

I have oily/comb but also very sensitive skin, and nivea oil-free does the job for me
    Yonka products for clay mask and hydrating mask also work without upsetting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

+1 for dermologica.

I order online and its bit cheaper plus they send me loads of samples with each delivery. I've a nice little collection built up for overnights etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I went through a very sensitive phase a while back, everything I tried made me red, even avena. Ren products were the ones that suited me. The moisturiser didn't irritate, and the mud mask seemed to help. The place I tried them first closed down, it was damaged in floods and didn't reopen, but I found it stocked in a pharmacy in cork again last month. They gave samples.
    I ordered them from inhealth when I couldn't find a shop. http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Ren-Hydra-Calm-Global-Protection-Day-Cream__41046.aspx
    http://www.inhealth.ie/Departments/BeautyFragrance/Shop-By-Brand/Ren-Skincare/Facial-Skincare/Blemish-Prone-Skin.aspx

I think you should go for samples before you buy. They can be very expensive. It's awkward enough getting the samples too... I remember I went into BT one day, and asked for some advice at a few counters... they wouldn't give me samples to take home, but would let me try it there. The first one I tried had my whole face out in red hives in about 10 minutes, burning etc. I had no way of washing it off, couldn't try any more at that point, so basically went straight home again.

pwurple wrote: »
    I think you should go for samples before you buy. They can be very expensive. It's awkward enough getting the samples too... I remember I went into BT one day, and asked for some advice at a few counters... they wouldn't give me samples to take home, but would let me try it there. The first one I tried had my whole face out in red hives in about 10 minutes, burning etc. I had no way of washing it off, couldn't try any more at that point, so basically went straight home again.

I know, tell me about it. I went into BT the other day too to check out Clinique and Clarins etc. The girl that recommended a moisturiser at the Clarins counter said that they didn't get that particular product in sample sizes :confused:
    And the girl from Clinique, while she didn't have samples to give me, she squeezed some of the tester into an empty sample sized bottle fair play to her.

You'd imagine that when you're selling high end products that cost about 50 euro, they'd encourage people to try samples beforehand. I'm not gonna buy an expensive product and cross my fingers that it doesn't cause a reaction!

Advertisement