Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Property Tax Goes Live

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Remember its just a GUIDE you have to value your own house yourself using resources such as the property price register etc, along with the guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

n97 mini wrote: »
    I think if this system has the value of your house right it's more of a coincidence.

Can anyone find a house outside Dublin worth more than 400k?

It's not hard if you know where to look. There's dozens of them in Galway city, try searching for Salthill or Taylors Hill on the PPR, not that the average valuation in the area reflects those values.

Edit - 60 properties in Galway on daft with an asking price of more than 400k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Can anyone find a house outside Dublin worth more than 400k?

Eh, ever looked at property outside of Dublin before? :)

10 pages worth of said houses in Cork from Daft: Quite a few detached houses around Rochestown and Douglas approaching the 1m mark never mind 400k.

If you broaden the search to include all of Cork some very nice houses in Cobh and similar start showing up.

Yes, compared to certain parts of Dublin even Cork's poshest areas are cheap but there are still houses going for silly money around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

murphaph wrote: »
    But it would be MUCH more difficult to play the system. You measure the m² of your house and submit that to Revenue. It'd be a lot more difficult to cheat that.

Revenue could then use their average value from 2011/2012/2013 and get an average value per m² and just multiply that by your given size.

Come an audit, you wouldn't be showing clippings of auctioneers ads etc, but the measuring tape would come out.

What about 2/3/4 story houses? What about houses in areas where tiny houses are worth 500K? You would be unable to play the system, but people in wealthy areas would get off very lightly with that system.

Yep. As has been said Germany does it. NZ does it also, every section, site or property has a government value used to determine rates and it's updated for every property once every three years. It really cannot be that hard.

Right. So everyone would prefer a flat system based on square footage. I guess you all live in urban Dublin in that case. I actually think they have done a good job in the short time allotted, and they also allow for as you said ramshackle shacks and 10 bed McMansions to have different valuations since the owners can self assess. Once it's off the ground they can go after the McMansion brigade for under declaration.

Personally I would be more in favour of the local corporation or county councils setting rates based on what revenue they need. OF course if a councillor was spending money like a drunken sailor he wouldn't get re-elected, and people would focus more on getting them to think twice before wasting money.

professore wrote: »
    Personally I would be more in favour of the local corporation or county councils setting rates based on what revenue they need. OF course if a councillor was spending money like a drunken sailor he wouldn't get re-elected, and people would focus more on getting them to think twice before wasting money.

People might actually start caring about local elections. It'd be madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

nesf wrote: »
    Eh, ever looked at property outside of Dublin before? :)

10 pages worth of said houses in Cork from Daft: Quite a few detached houses around Rochestown and Douglas approaching the 1m mark never mind 400k.

If you broaden the search to include all of Cork some very nice houses in Cobh and similar start showing up.

Yes, compared to certain parts of Dublin even Cork's poshest areas are cheap but there are still houses going for silly money around here.
    Thread title.

Have you found any properties on that worth 400k+ outside Dublin?

Thread title.

Have you found any properties on that worth 400k+ outside Dublin?

Eh, you said "Can anyone find a house outside Dublin worth more than 400k?"

You should have been more clear. I didn't find any banding in Cork over 400k average when I gave a quick look. I didn't check Galway or elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

kceire wrote: »
    Use your own valuations then guys, Jesus, do his want everything handed to ya. Did the boom make the nation lazy or just a bunch of grumpy old farts?

You seem to favor this tax.Well judging buy your posts.ITS A FCUKING JOKE!
    I paid my stamp duty like anyone else here that has bought a house,why should we pay again?
    We have a right to be grumpy,every day they fcuking introduce a new tax,are you a broadcasting tax advocate too?

Oh and read this are you going to knock on bonos door http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/property-tax-why-bono-may-end-up-paying-just-517-tax-on-his-lavish-25m-mansion-29122448.html and say hey man your not paying enough,cause the revenues website on LPT is utter sh1Te and a half baked,RUSHED and if you have not notice the colour scheme for the bands is colored like SH1TE.
    They could of used other colors rather than 50 shades of SH1TE ..

Its not the issue of handing things to people its the issue of them been lazy and incompetent as you may have noticed i aint the only one to complain about the revenues cheap lazy effort here http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/revenue-at-fault-as-confusion-grows-on-home-tax-29121319.html

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I paid my stamp duty like anyone else here that has bought a house,why should we pay again?

Because stamp duty is a transaction tax, not a property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Live in a 1 bed. They have the price down as between 150 and 200k. Asking price for 1 bed in apt block is 99k and they are getting between 80 and 90k according to price register index. I will be putting my apt at 95k and they will be getting 45 euro.

Live in a 1 bed. They have the price down as between 150 and 200k. Asking price for 1 bed in apt block is 99k and they are getting between 80 and 90k according to price register index. I will be putting my apt at 95k and they will be getting 45 euro.

The estimate is a guide not a bill. If you can show that apartments are going in the area for less than 100k then good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

amacca wrote: »
    He has a point.....different shades of brown/orange that are hard to distinguish between is a strange decision

Didn't anyone creating this sit down and try to use it....surely seven different colours for the seven different bands would have been a more sensible thing to do

clicking/option clicking on it while viewing it in safari does not get it to automatically tell me what range my house is in so I have to rely on my "opinion"

Its been style over substance for a good few years in this country. Big bold colours just 'wouldn't look right'.

Hilarious! Your link proves him right. Or maybe you have a different understanding of the word transaction?!

Its still a tax on the property same difference.

A property tax is a very specific thing, it is a levy charged on owning a property.

A transaction tax is also a very specific thing, it is a tax levied on a transaction of some specific kind.

Both Stamp Duty and the LPT (Local Property Tax) are taxes on property, no doubt about that, but only the latter is what would be called a property tax. Stamp Duty was never a tax on owning a property, it was a tax on buying a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

antoobrien wrote: »
    Because stamp duty is a transaction tax, not a property tax.

Why do we get into these arguments all the time? Its the same with motor and road tax in the motors forum. The government just chucks it down the same bottomless pit anyway.

A property tax is a very specific thing, it is a levy charged on owning a property.

A transaction tax is also a very specific thing, it is a tax levied on a transaction of some specific kind.

Both Stamp Duty and the LPT (Local Property Tax) are taxes on property, no doubt about that, but only the latter is what would be called a property tax. Stamp Duty was never a tax on owning a property, it was a tax on buying a property.

Which all i was suggesting thanks for that...just annoyed like many others :)

• Advertisement

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Why do we get into these arguments all the time? Its the same with motor and road tax in the motors forum. The government just chucks it down the same bottomless pit anyway.

It's down to a fundamental misunderstanding of the purposes of the taxes involved.

Motor tax is only levied on motor vehicles which are to be used on the public roads (hence the practice of declaring them off the road to dodge it). In that respect it is a road tax, however it is not specifically used to fund roads - which is the major bugbear of many people (myself included). A minimum of 33% of motor tax is to be used for the purposes of road maintenance, the rest of it is used for local services. Contrary to popular mythology it is not a general tax, rather a tax gathered by the dept of environment on behalf of the LAs (similar to PRSI & the former health levy).

Stamp duty on the other hand is charged on transactions, property transactions are just one class of transactions where it is charged. There are also charges levied against cheques, document transfers and other transactions. The perception that it is a property tax arises because of the amount of money involved, however it's no more a property tax than the advance fees for taking out cash on credit cards or the duty on cheques.

Stamp Duty was never a tax on owning a property, it was a tax on buying a property.
    It's a levy or tax on documents. Stamp Duty applies to many things that don't involve property, including for example court documents. E.g. anyone taking out grant of probate has to pay stamp duty.

It's a levy or tax on documents. Stamp Duty applies to many things that don't involve property, including for example court documents. E.g. anyone taking out grant of probate has to pay stamp duty.

I know, but in the context of this thread if someone says Stamp Duty they're not referring to the general category of taxes but the property specific one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

according to revenues so called guide , my place is over priced by 65k and as no property has sold in my area for 8 years or more , its going to be hard

according to revenues so called guide , my place is over priced by 65k and as no property has sold in my area for 8 years or more , its going to be hard

Insurance valuation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Insurance valuation?

Insurance valuation is only the rebuild cost. It has no bearing on the market value so the OP may have to come up with a valuation himself or get a professional valuation.

We have a right to be grumpy,every day they fcuking introduce a new tax,are you a broadcasting tax advocate too?

Oh and read this are you going to knock on bonos door http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/property-tax-why-bono-may-end-up-paying-just-517-tax-on-his-lavish-25m-mansion-29122448.html and say hey man your not paying enough,cause the revenues website on LPT is utter sh1Te and a half baked,RUSHED and if you have not notice the colour scheme for the bands is colored like SH1TE.
    They could of used other colors rather than 50 shades of SH1TE ..

Its not the issue of handing things to people its the issue of them been lazy and incompetent as you may have noticed i aint the only one to complain about the revenues cheap lazy effort here http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/revenue-at-fault-as-confusion-grows-on-home-tax-29121319.html

Cant believe people are up in arms over a guide.
    We all knew it was going to be a guide, and we all knew that we would have to value our properties ourselves.

The newspaper report is lazy, yes Bono's pad is located is a specific zone but the law states you must declare your homes value properly yourself, so Bono will have to declare his valuation.

Jez people use the guide, if you think your house is worth 300k, but then using the guide shows the average selling price in your area is 100k, then you know your living in cookoo land with your valuation.

Cant believe people are up in arms over a guide.
    We all knew it was going to be a guide, and we all knew that we would have to value our properties ourselves.

I think the problem is that people were expecting valuations not a guide. Just listen to the twit of an auctioneer talking about it on RTE last night as if they were valuations, when he should know damn well that they were not.

I suspect there is a lot of valid worries about people with obviously over valued houses vs the guide estimates will just state that the houses are value x and hope to get away with it.

The cynic in me says that part of the indignation we are seeing is that people are realising that they won't have a big bad wolf to blame for the value that is put on the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Look this tax was never going to go down well, but I do feel that sometimes we can over react. Personally I think we got off lightly for now, although who knows what it may increase to in future years.

I own a 4 bed detached house with fairly large grounds. My property tax is €225, or approx £195.

My widowed mother in NI who is over 70 lives in a 4 bed semi and her rates are £1200 per year. For that she gets her bins emptied, her street sweeped maybe every 6 months and local services like leisure centres which she never uses and a heavily subsidised airport which she has used about twice in 15yrs.

I can imagine the uproar if we were hit with rates like that in Ireland.

If the property tax has to be paid, then I am glad I'm being asked to pay €225 and not €1k every year.

I think the problem is that people were expecting valuations not a guide..
    I think people were expecting something better than the wishy-washy "guide" that they got, especially after all the hype.... We heard the Revenue was taking into account all sorts of things, including proximity to services, and had employed the services of economists in tricky cases.

From what I can see they spent more (taxpayers') money on the fancy website and map licence from the OSI than they did on the actual underlying data.

Does anyone know how much that website actually cost us?

• Advertisement

I think people were expecting something better than the wishy-washy "guide" that they got, especially after all the hype.... We heard the Revenue was taking into account all sorts of things, including proximity to services, and had employed the services of economists in tricky cases.

This is the problem, we "heard" a lot of things from a lot of spoofers, but revenue were not releasing much.

It was fairly evident early on however that numbers of rooms and that kind of thing was not feasible because of the lack of uniform information.

Btw the best guide to "proximity to services" is price. They used to say that proximity to dart in Dublin increases the prices 10k-20k every 100m closer to a station a property is located.
    From what I can see they spent more (taxpayers') money on the fancy website and map licence from the OSI than they did on the actual underlying data.

Does anyone know how much that website actually cost us?

In 2010 "– Utilities and government bodies" (not including LAs) paid 11.5m, so I'd imagine that one of those could be used at little/no extra cost.

The website is nothing special - especially considering several government departments already do something similar with OSI data. The trickiest bit will have been collating and translating price data into something the GIS systems could read and map. This is the reason that the broad electoral areas were used, as they already had those maps available. And this is something that the CSO do with census data, so again nothing particularly tough, just time consuming.

If they had tried to use neighbourhoods, or even go to street level it would have taken a lot more time & money to produce this guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Insurance valuation?

no, i see if i can get a deal on valuer to give current price but that cost me money so i see what options i have

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭sean200

NIMAN wrote: »
    Look this tax was never going to go down well, but I do feel that sometimes we can over react. Personally I think we got off lightly for now, although who knows what it may increase to in future years.

I own a 4 bed detached house with fairly large grounds. My property tax is €225, or approx £195.

My widowed mother in NI who is over 70 lives in a 4 bed semi and her rates are £1200 per year. For that she gets her bins emptied, her street sweeped maybe every 6 months and local services like leisure centres which she never uses and a heavily subsidised airport which she has used about twice in 15yrs.

I can imagine the uproar if we were hit with rates like that in Ireland.

If the property tax has to be paid, then I am glad I'm being asked to pay €225 and not €1k every year.

This is just the implementation of the tax and this is the best way to get most people to pay it.
    But in 2016 when ye have just returned this government then you will see the true meaning of a property tax
    I believe then then every house owner will have to get a valuation done on their house and then the reality of a property tax will become clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

So if your house is worth 250k----300k what will I owe :mad:

Carpenter wrote: »
    So if your house is worth 250k----300k what will I owe :mad:
    If my house is worth 250k-300k you won't owe anything!

If my house is worth 250k-300k you won't owe anything!

What :confused: Funny

Carpenter wrote: »
    What :confused: Funny

All the bands are in the OP and here - www.revenue.ie

€225,000 X 0.18%= your due rate

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

All the bands are in the OP and here - www.revenue.ie

€225,000 X 0.18%= your due rate

Only 400 euro, that's not bad.As long as it doesn't increase every year.

Thank you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Shades of orange ... who even comes up with such an idea, let alone approves it?
    Looks like it was designed by the same people who coded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Daft have made their own property tax calculator

http://www.daft.ie/property-tax/

The Daft one is giving me a lower valuation than the revenue one. Its in a lower band.
    So do I go with the lower one or have to get it valued by an estate agent?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

20Cent wrote: »

The Daft one is giving me a lower valuation than the revenue one. Its in a lower band.

thanks

Your best bet is to find similar properties which have sold in the past couple of years in your area which best match your property type. Print them out and include them in your return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

20Cent wrote: »

thanks

After using this too. 2 bed apartment in Dundalk, 2 bedrooms, one bathroom. Valued at €64,000! Yet the letter from Revenue I got today gave a value of €100,001-150,000. Think I know which band I'll be using..........

After using this too. 2 bed apartment in Dundalk, 2 bedrooms, one bathroom. Valued at €64,000! Yet the letter from Revenue I got today gave a value of €100,001-150,000. Think I know which band I'll be using..........

The letter from revenue is the average selling price in your area, NOT a valuation of YOUR property.

You base your value on information that you can source for your home. Previous properties for sale, property price index etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The letter from revenue is the average selling price in your area, NOT a valuation of YOUR property.

You base your value on information that you can source for your home. Previous properties for sale, property price index etc etc

Yip, did plenty of looking on daft, myhome etc. Most properties of my type on sale from roughly 65k up to 95k, so I think the lowest band will suit me.

• Advertisement

Yip, did plenty of looking on daft, myhome etc. Most properties of my type on sale from roughly 65k up to 95k, so I think the lowest band will suit me.

Print them out, save a screen shot etc as this will your proof of price.
    Also make sure to double check at the end of April as the price you declare has to be valid on the 1st May IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The DAFT calculator puts my house in the next bracket up.
    I thnik the value from Revenue is more realistic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Put through mine to be paid in June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Despite what the bar-room experts and the so called legal eagles say; the Household Charge and the Property Tax is Illegal, Unlawful and Unconstitutional, and does NOT have to be paid, unless you consciously consent/agree to paying it.

B0ll1x. Rates existed for decades under the Irish constitution and there was nothing unconstitutional about a property tax. So called legal eagles in the Supreme Court might well have the more valid opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement