Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ming to tell all about avoiding justice

• 10-03-2013 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/ming-flanagan-penalty-points-826425-Mar2013/
    The Sunday Independent reported that Flanagan was stopped by gardaí in June 2011 and issued with a fine of €60 and two penalty points for driving while operating his mobile phone. The report alleges the independent TD insisted that he was on “Dáil business” and in these instances a member of the Oireachtas can request that their points be removed from their licence.

Isn't it interesting that this didn't compe up when Clare Daly brought up the penalty points issue last year. For those of you who wish to know what Mings stance was back then.
    Flanagan told the Dáil that his investigations into the issue had convinced him that the penalty points issue appeared “to be only the tip of the iceberg” and that complaints of alleged Garda corruption had not been made before now simply because people were scared to blow the whistle.

Flanagan said the revelations about penalty points showed “quite clearly that in this country some people are more important than others”.

According to Mr Flannagans Tweets, hastagged with #wherearemypoints, he was inundated with offers to cancel his points. It seems who had no choice really.

I guess his picture will go beside those of his independent colleagues in the dictionary beside the word hypocrite. What is wrong with this country that we cannot get a single decent politician?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How can you take a politician called 'Ming' seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i wish he'd fuck off

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

I'd buy 'Ming' Flanagan a pint if he killed a certain few of the blue-shirts in a hit-and-run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Trial by media, how about waiting to hear what he has to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Trial by media, how about waiting to hear what he has to say

How about he just comes out and says what he has to say instead of waiting to hide behind Dail privilege once again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

He's the very epitome of a sleeven, parish-pump politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sergeant wrote: »

Unlike every other politician in this country who are all model politicians.

That Stephen Donnelly fella is the worst I think... being qualified for what he does!

Unlike every other politician in this country who are all model politicians.

That Stephen Donnelly fella is the worst I think... being qualified for what he does!

That isn't an argument. The Daíl is filled with them. That doesn't mean that highlighting the fact that Ming is as self-serving as most of them isn't allowed, especially when his foghorn voice can often be heard engaging in the type of cheap point-scoring that many people consider to be effective and engaging political discourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How can you take a politician called 'Ming' seriously?
    I dare you not to take this guy seriously

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081214105440/uncyclopedia/images/7/73/Max_von_Sydow-Ming_the_Merciless.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

the despicable rouge http://www.thejournal.ie/ming-flanagan-on-e9k-signpost-donation-im-keeping-my-election-promise-467425-May2012/

• Advertisement

G Power wrote: »

This giving half their salary to local organisations, or to the party, is very popular with some of the blowhards who sit up in that corner of the Daíl. I'd rather they took their salary and actually came up with some lucid and comprehensive ideas that benefit the country, instead of moaning about every revenue generating initiative, while at the same type screaming in righteous indignation about every cut that is implemented.

It's nothing more than a cynical ploy to endear themselves to some of the more gormless members of the electorate who don't have the gumption to see it for what it is - a re-election strategy.

So we have morons like Ming and Wallace going on about complete non-issues like turf cutting while the country continues to face an unprecedented economic crisis. Fire out the odd easy-to-digest soundbite and away they go.

As I said, a sleeven, and about as useful to the country as a chocolate teapot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

I'd rather they took their salary and actually came up with some lucid and comprehensive ideas that benefit the country, instead of moaning about every revenue generating initiative, while at the same type screaming in righteous indignation about every cut that is implemented.

you mean when he stands up to speak and gets such a nice reaction from "grown" men and "women" across in the government side of the dail

http://www.thejournal.ie/video-ming-flanagan-dress-code-704848-Dec2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I'm sorry Flash Gordon didn't dispose of him properly!

Z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

You have to admire him for his stance on weed legislation though

Ya, he's the Lemass of our time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

He speaks a lot of sense.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ya, he's the Lemass of our time.
    Ya, aren't all of the TD's today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I do wish Flash Gordon would arrive so we could start to see the end of Ming's evil reign. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JEINKINS12

Why is he waiting to give a reply in the Dail? because of Dail privilidge ??? can't be sued for anything he says in the Dail !!!

Why wait to make a statement on the issue? Why not just come right out with it now? No need to wait.

He also allegedly said that another person, not a Garda, offered to have the penalty points removed. Did he report this corrupt approach to anyone?

Pot, Kettle, Black, glasshouses, throw, stones, without sin, cast first stone....all of these come to mind.

[Flash is using football moves to fight Ming's soldiers]

The Emperor Ming: Klytus! What is he doing?

Klytus: I don't know, sir! It looks like some kind of barbaric sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

He is the biggest hypocrite in the Dail. He's only getting support here due to his stance on weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Independent TD Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan has admitted in the Dáil on two occasions he was to receive penalty points which were then cancelled.
    Mr Flanagan has told the Dail that on 3 June he was stopped by a Garda for using a mobile phone while driving.
    He said he received a fixed penalty notice in the post and a few days later he bumped into a Garda Sergeant who asked him about the penalty points issue.
    The Garda Seargeant told him that he was exempt from penalty points, he said.
    Mr Flanagan said he had planned to name this Garda Sergeant in the Dáil but was told that he would be stopped.
    On a second occasion he was caught using a mobile phone while driving and was told that he would get penalty points. He said that he casually mentioned this at a subsequent county council meeting he was attending.
    On his way home he was contacted by “a senior council official” telling him that his penalty points issue had been "sorted out".
    Mr Flanagan said that he believed that it was indicative of the culture that exists; he said that the fact that a Council official has the confidence to approach the Garda with a view to having the penalty points cancelled is further proof of this.
    Mr Flanagan also questioned how the information regarding his penalty points had come to light.

Bold statement there,this hasent gone away you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ahh the old "I only did it to illustrate how corrupt the system is" defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

realies wrote: »
    Mr Flanagan said he had planned to name this Garda Sergeant in the Dáil but was told that he would be stopped.

Stopped? How? And then what? Points?
    How many points does naming a corrupt Garda sergeant in the Dail get you?

Does anyone seriously accept this line of bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Independent TD Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan has admitted in the Dáil on two occasions he was to receive penalty points which were then cancelled.
    Mr Flanagan has told the Dail that on 3 June he was stopped by a Garda for using a mobile phone while driving.
    He said he received a fixed penalty notice in the post and a few days later he bumped into a Garda Sergeant who asked him about the penalty points issue.
    The Garda Seargeant told him that he was exempt from penalty points, he said.
    On a second occasion he was caught using a mobile phone while driving and was told that he would get penalty points. He said that he casually mentioned this at a subsequent county council meeting he was attending.
    On his way home he was contacted by “a senior council official” telling him that his penalty points issue had been "sorted out".
    Mr Flanagan said that he believed that it was indicative of the culture that exists; he said that the fact that a Council official has the confidence to approach the Garda with a view to having the penalty points cancelled is further proof of this.
    Mr Flanagan also questioned how the information regarding his penalty points had come to light.

Bold statement there,this hasent gone away you know.

So he accepted the fact that his penalty points were quashed but then complained that someone was able to do that :confused:
    Is he right in the head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

He could have refused the offer of cancelling the penalty points if he so wished, he is some gob****e.

What a tool blaming other people for it. He needs a good kick in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

He's only sorry he got caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Drug user wants drugs legalised.
    Admirable alright.
    And not in the least bit self serving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's now resorted to precisely the same rubbish that sees most other politicians vilified. As soon as he came under pressure, he tried any ridiculous claim he could to deflect attention regardless of how laughable.

His story is so paper thin and embarrassing that I'd hope most sensible people see it for what it is. He's a politician through and through, same as any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

So he accepted the fact that his penalty points were quashed but then complained that someone was able to do that :confused:
    Is he right in the head?

Hes only complaining now two years later since he was about to be exposed.

Lovely fella.
    Someone helps him out. He stays quiet about it for 2 years and then, when he might have to answer questions about it, puts the blame on the people who helped him out.

That "technical group" are turning out to be the worst of the lot of them. I wonder what dirt on Shane Ross is next to come out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wonder did he answer the phone while driving home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MMAGirl wrote: »
    That "technical group" are turning out to be the worst of the lot of them.
    So true, Flanagan and Wallace on their high horses when they're the worst examples of what has us in this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

stevenmu wrote: »
    I wonder did he answer the phone while driving home?

''During the journey home the TD spotted his phone ringing and said he pulled in to answer it, having leared his lesson''

''He also disclosed that he had been given four penalty points on appeal in Roscommon Courthouse some years ago before he was a TD''.

He did not want to accept these penalty points either.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Plain and simple - What a fcuking CLOWN.

• Advertisement

Jesus just saw the clip on the news there, what a spineless little rat bastard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

He prob was off his cheann so cant remember half of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What a dirty rat. Trying to get out of trouble by getting someone else into trouble :mad:

Ming, the pointless.!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 claptrap

No doubt Ming has made a very stupid mistake and has badly damaged whatever credibility he had. However it's clear that a lot of people have been waiting for him to slip up and have actively being digging for any dirt they could find on him. He made a lot of enemies in the Dail and the Gardai through being outspoken. He has made a lot of people nervous because he was speaking out against corruption which anyone with a bit of sense will tell you is rampant in Irish politics and the police force. Yes these new revelations and his admissions have exposed hypocrisy, however his crimes are extremely minor compared to those of others, many of which are never exposed. Yes his crimes as minor and they ruin his credibility as a politician but if we were to take this stance with everyone (maybe we should) then there would be no one left in the Dail. You dig for long enough and you will find dirt on everyone. Ming is new to the fat cat game of Irish politics and his naive nature has probably cost him his job. He messed with some seasoned pro's with connections who have been waiting to destroy him and he gave them a great chance to do it through his own stupidity and weak mindedness. All this aside I find it sick that people will get up in arms about this until he resigns and yet the likes of O' Reilly and Noonan are spared. Ask yourself, who damages our nation more? Naive Ming or the pro's who have all the tricks for avoiding getting caught, avoiding delivering on promises, avoiding answering questions and generally avoiding standing up for Irish citizens. Bertie et al. get a pension for ruining our country while Ming (who forfeits half his salary to charity) will be ruined by this because he didn't know how to play the game (keep his mouth shut) Of course all the prude anti weed folks are going to jump on this as they always do ( I don't smoke but I have tried it unlike those that dismiss it and I realise its harmless. I lived in Holland for a number of years and I have seen first hand how it is harmless. Never got attacked by a stoner but have been set upon randomly by a number of drunks in the past in Ireland) Any way my point is yes he's made a very stupid mistake but his intentions were honourable which is far more than can be said for the rest of the crooks in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

claptrap wrote: »
    No doubt Ming has made a very stupid mistake and has badly damaged whatever credibility he had. However it's clear that a lot of people have been waiting for him to slip up and have actively being digging for any dirt they could find on him. He made a lot of enemies in the Dail and the Gardai through being outspoken. He has made a lot of people nervous because he was speaking out against corruption which anyone with a bit of sense will tell you is rampant in Irish politics and the police force. Yes these new revelations and his admissions have exposed hypocrisy, however his crimes are extremely minor compared to those of others, many of which are never exposed. Yes his crimes as minor and they ruin his credibility as a politician but if we were to take this stance with everyone (maybe we should) then there would be no one left in the Dail. You dig for long enough and you will find dirt on everyone. Ming is new to the fat cat game of Irish politics and his naive nature has probably cost him his job. He messed with some seasoned pro's with connections who have been waiting to destroy him and he gave them a great chance to do it through his own stupidity and weak mindedness. All this aside I find it sick that people will get up in arms about this until he resigns and yet the likes of O' Reilly and Noonan are spared. Ask yourself, who damages our nation more? Naive Ming or the pro's who have all the tricks for avoiding getting caught, avoiding delivering on promises, avoiding answering questions and generally avoiding standing up for Irish citizens. Bertie et al. get a pension for ruining our country while Ming (who forfeits half his salary to charity) will be ruined by this because he didn't know how to play the game (keep his mouth shut) Of course all the prude anti weed folks are going to jump on this as they always do ( I don't smoke but I have tried it unlike those that dismiss it and I realise its harmless. I lived in Holland for a number of years and I have seen first hand how it is harmless. Never got attacked by a stoner but have been set upon randomly by a number of drunks in the past in Ireland) Any way my point is yes he's made a very stupid mistake but his intentions were honourable which is far more than can be said for the rest of the crooks in the Dail.

Heh, your username accurately reflects my thoughts on your post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Heh, your username accurately reflects my thoughts on your post :)

You think Ming was the 1st or last to get points quashed? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Utter claptrap.
    He is another crooked and corrupt (his word) politican who should be turfed back out of the Dail.

Dempsey wrote: »
    You think Ming was the 1st or last to get points quashed? :rolleyes:

you putting words in my mouth now? :rolleyes:

Ming himself said today on radio in Shannon that the act was corrupt. To my mind he's as much of a disgrace as any other politician who did the same. He's a self-serving disgace and no different to any of the other 'cute hoors' we've had elected in the past.

r3nu4l (admin???) Not sure what difference my username makes. What are your views on my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

you putting words in my mouth now? :rolleyes:

Ming himself said today on radio in Shannon that the act was corrupt. To my mind he's as much of a disgrace as any other politician who did the same. He's a self-serving disgace and no different to any of the other 'cute hoors' we've had elected in the past.

There be plenty of them that havent been exposed because they play the game better. The system does need changing or expect more wrecked careers when people in public office criticise the lifestyle of a politican or do anything to change the current political system. The cute hoors sit in the back bench muck raking for the rainy day like when some independants try to make getting points quashed difficult/a thing of the past.

r3nu4l (admin???) Not sure what difference my username makes. What are your views on my post?

I thought it was obvious. I think it's claptrap.

Just a few examples of the claptrap:
    Smoking weed is harmless
    Ever heard of cancer? I've tried weed myself, more than once but then I realised what a loser's game it was and stopped

He made a lot of people nervous speaking about corruption
    Should have kept his own house in order so, glass houses, stone throwing and all that.

however his crimes are extremely minor compared to those of others
    Ah, I see, so some crimes are okay then so long as someone else is doing something worse? Very Orwellian and animal farm! Oookaaay!

Ming is new to the fat cat game of Irish politics
    Well he certainly slotted into it all comfortably enough by engaging in corruption. Sure, he's practically one of the lads now
    I could go on but I think that says enough of what I think of the post. I'm entitled to disagree and have done so. :)

Again, hes shown himself to fit in quite well. Another politician, elected on a ticket (free the weed man) who turns out to be more or less the same as the rest of them.

Lets not forget that he is also a bully

[QUOTE=claptrap;83644

I thought it was obvious. I think it's claptrap.

Just a few examples of the claptrap:
    Smoking weed is harmless
    Ever heard of cancer? I've tried weed myself, more than once but then I realised what a loser's game it was and stopped

He made a lot of people nervous speaking about corruption
    Should have kept his own house in order so, glass houses, stone throwing and all that.

however his crimes are extremely minor compared to those of others
    Ah, I see, so some crimes are okay then so long as someone else is doing something worse? Very Orwellian and animal farm! Oookaaay!

Ming is new to the fat cat game of Irish politics
    Well he certainly slotted into it all comfortably enough by engaging in corruption. Sure, he's practically one of the lads now
    I could go on but I think that says enough of what I think of the post. I'm entitled to disagree and have done so. :)

Again, hes shown himself to fit in quite well. Another politician, elected on a ticket (free the weed man) who turns out to be more or less the same as the rest of them.
    What doesn't cause cancer these days???

Never said his crimes were okay. Just that they are minor compared to others

• Advertisement
Advertisement