Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you back to a game you haven't finished

• 10-03-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭

Do you start playing from where you last saved or completely start over again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Depends on the game. There are some I'd start again, but I guess mostly I'd continue. Though, of course, there's also the point of how long has it been since I played? If it has been a long time, it would increase my odds of just starting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

start where I left off - too many games, not enough time! I recently went back and finished metro 2033 from the libararian level and have to go back and finish portal 2 and castlevania : LOS soon. Also have o go back to Zelda Twilight and its ages since I left that.

sweetie wrote: »
    start where I left off - too many games, not enough time! I recently went back and finished metro 2033 from the libararian level and have to go back and finish portal 2 and castlevania : LOS soon. Also have o go back to Zelda Twilight and its ages since I left that.
    Do you have a good memory or is stuff you forget just an unfortunate casualty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Depends on the game and how long it's been since I played it. Something with complex game mechanics/plot may require a restart. But most games are fairly straightforward, so they can just be continued from where I left off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Depends on the game. Xenoblade I'd basically forgotten how to play so I started again. Most games on my Vita I just dip in and out of, won't restart any of them probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Only restart if has been years since I last played. The storyline, controls etc usually come back to me after 30 minutes or so. If not, I just watch a playthrough on Youtube up to the point where I'm at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Again, it depends. I must've played Metroid Prime 2 from the beginning at least 3 times before I finally finished it. Though that was also to do with losing my save file. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Skyrim or similar, would have to start where I left off, unless I was looking to have a new playstyle. Short-term linear games, I would usually restart if its been weeks/months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Was thinking of restarting Dark Souls since not played it in a year and never finished it....but f**k me do I not want to beat Ornstein & Suroh again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

usually id restart but if I know id be playing through it again in a harder difficulty (trophies) id just continue

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Again, it depends. I must've played Metroid Prime 2 from the beginning at least 3 times before I finally finished it. Though that was also to do with losing my save file. :(

When I got the trilogy on Wii I started all three games as id get stuck here and there and so now have three metroid games to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It entirely depends on how long it's been since I played it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I nearly always restart the game as I feel like I'm losing out on the feeling of the game somehow. Had restarted Chrono Trigger a while ago and then stopped playing so will completely restart again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sweetie wrote: »
    When I got the trilogy on Wii I started all three games as id get stuck here and there and so now have three metroid games to finish!

Honestly, I never minded restarting since they're great games. Got 1 and 2 on the cube, 3 on the Wii and recently picked up Trilogy as well, just because. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I restart more often than I reload if it's been more than a month but if I'm coming back to a game it's probably one I enjoyed and usually I don't mind replaying content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Depends really, something linear I could jump into, or something like Skyrim that has your quests listed so you can jump back into it, I do find I need to be in the mood for that though. retro stuff I can just hop into unless its something like Zelda or Metroid where you'd forget where you were.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Honestly, I never minded restarting since they're great games. Got 1 and 2 on the cube, 3 on the Wii and recently picked up Trilogy as well, just because. :)

I couldnt restart them because they are so big but would always spend at least an hour getting back into it and retracing steps. The wii is so suited to them, worth buying a wii just for these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Life's too short to start most games over. There is usually a reason why you stopped when you did. Anytime I have started over I usually end up abandoning the game around the same place I did before. So in my experience continuing on is always better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I recently started playing GTA 4 again with a save file from august 2008. I continued on the same file...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I finish my games! Always! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I deleted Skyrim when I migrated to SSD. If the saves are gone, they're gone. **** was getting to complicated anyway, need to simplify it back up again. And to hell with loading times now! Mwahaha

Overheal wrote: »
    I deleted Skyrim when I migrated to SSD. If the saves are gone, they're gone. **** was getting to complicated anyway, need to simplify it back up again. And to hell with loading times now! Mwahaha

I seem to remember the steam cloud holding on to my save files. I could be wrong on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Depends on how long since you played and how far into the game. Some games could just be too difficult to jump back into if you haven't played it in a while as you'll have forgotten half the controls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

well you have to consider why you didnt finish the game in the first place, if i stop playing a game mid point its usually because it didnt keep my interest, and unless i get the urge to play it again within afew weeks of not playing, it gets traded in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I remember going back to Morrowind after a year and a half, picked up where I'd left off and after a little over an hour of walking I realised that when I'd saved a year and a half ago I had been walking in the opposite direction and I was now back where I'd started. And that's how I learned to love Map Travel in Oblivion.

If I'm losing my mojo midgame I'll often take a break for a few weeks and then go back to the start to remind myself why I was excited about the game - Resident Evil Revelations was a good one for that. DragonAge was a bad choice though, since I found myself compelled to do all of the different starts and ended up dragging a lot of different characters through the same quests over and over and over.

Banjo wrote: »
    I remember going back to Morrowind after a year and a half, picked up where I'd left off and after a little over an hour of walking I realised that when I'd saved a year and a half ago I had been walking in the opposite direction and I was now back where I'd started. And that's how I learned to love Map Travel in Oblivion.
    Morrowind is a great game, but it's definitely one you have to stick to and pay attention to directions. Landmarks being pointed out and you have to get to it, and then work from there rather than the obvious quest arrows we have today. In terms of the travel in Morrowind, you had to really plan your journeys if you were going far.

Like, you could go get a silt strider to somewhere, or a boat, or mages guild travel and combine them with walking to where ever it was you needed to go. It was a lot better than the fast travel in my opinion, and sadly I use the fast travel a lot more today than I should. Too many games/little time these days.

well you have to consider why you didnt finish the game in the first place, if i stop playing a game mid point its usually because it didnt keep my interest, and unless i get the urge to play it again within afew weeks of not playing, it gets traded in.

I usually get tired of the games mechanics itself. I started playing Theme Hospital on my phone again recently. Probably the 10th time starting again. I have never finished it and I'm already bored. Way too many games are too repetitive and too long. I like them short and sweet. Any single player game over 20 hours is excessive imo

Advertisement