Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarry is highest for Property Tax

Options
  • 10-03-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Kilbarry is split into two, the outer zone is the only Zone 4 in Waterford (201,000 to 250,000) from what I could see, everywhere else is zones 2 or 3. The shading is not easy to read but if you click on area you get the details in a pop up.

https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/valuation-guide/index.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

snausbaby wrote: »
    Kilbarry is split into two, the outer zone is the only Zone 4 in Waterford (201,000 to 250,000) from what I could see, everywhere else is zones 2 or 3. The shading is not easy to read but if you click on area you get the details in a pop up.

https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/valuation-guide/index.htm

I have to say that map not exaclty user friendly but then again why am I surprised. From having a quick run through it seems a 4 bed detached house on the Dunmore Road is same as a 2 bed semi detatched house closer to town. Both seem to be in valuation bracket 3

Surely that could not be correct values. From my reading all the developments along the Dunmore Road would be in the Valuation brackets 3 - 6 ( depending on house and exact location there be differences obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3 bed bungalow in Cherrymount is in same zone as someone living in a 4 bed detached house in Grange Park. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Question for anyone that might know:

Just going through the site there, and it's using a mid-value for each zone, ie: Zone 1 is €0 to €100,000, mid-band is €50,000, so yearly tax is €90. If your property was worth €75,000, do you pay more, or less if the property is worth less than €50,000? Or does it matter, that you go by the average/mid-value for that band?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Just going through the site there, and it's using a mid-value for each zone, ie: Zone 1 is €0 to €100,000, mid-band is €50,000, so yearly tax is €90. If your property was worth €75,000, do you pay more, or less if the property is worth less than €50,000? Or does it matter, that you go by the average/mid-value for that band?

If I read it correcly people within Band 1 can either choose to pay the mid point of €90 or if they feel there house it not even worth the mid point of €50,00 can submit their valuation of the hosue and ask Revnue to accept and calculate the property tax on their assessment of value of property.

This goes for all the bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Think you pay by the band - unless you have a house worth over a million - then you pay the exact amount.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

How many different coloured orange bands could they use!!! Hopeless website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭batistuta9

decies wrote: »

you don't even need the orange bands

just click your electoral district & it gives you the valuation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Well looking at it on I pad it's hopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Well looking at it on I pad it's hopeless

You just click - works ok for me. Very fast too considering the hammering it must be getting.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Just looking at kilbarry there, if you go to the houses say in foxwood, zoom in on the map and click on one of those houses its coming in at band 2 100-150,000 euro whats that value per year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You pay based on the midpoint of the band.

libra02 wrote: »

If I read it correcly people within Band 1 can either choose to pay the mid point of €90 or if they feel there house it not even worth the mid point of €50,00 can submit their valuation of the hosue and ask Revnue to accept and calculate the property tax on their assessment of value of property.

This goes for all the bands.

You read it incorrectly - you pay based on the midpoint, don't make it any more complicated than it already is!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Someone in Revenue has a great sense of humour if you ask me..with all the easily contrasting colours they could use, they decide to f**k with people!!

"is that the light orange or the ever so slightly lighter orange?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

So if i have a value of 100-150,000 then i must value my house at 125,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭deeks

As far as I am aware the website is purely meant to be a rough guide for people. If you base your value from the website but it turns out to be incorrect you will face a fine.

To answer your question, all values the fall into a particular band are taxed at the midpoint of that band so whether you value your house at €101,000 or €149,000 you will pay based on a value of €125,000.

You pay based on the midpoint of the band.
    You read it incorrectly - you pay based on the midpoint, don't make it any more complicated than it already is!

not if you feel that the midpoint of the band is too high a valuation of your house

no point paying more than you should

batistuta9 wrote: »
    not if you feel that the midpoint of the band is too high a valuation of your house

no point paying more than you should

You can only pay at the midpoint of a band. If you value your house at €101,000 you will pay at €125,000. There is no choice in the matter!!

deeks wrote: »
    You can only pay at the midpoint of a band. If you value your house at €101,000 you will pay at €125,000. There is no choice in the matter!!

No, there is a choice. The bands are only for guidance/estimates

if you think your house is 101k or even is worth under 100k you can get it assessed yourself and send in the details to revenue or wherever it goes

if you think your house is 101k or even is worth under 100k you can get it assessed yourself and send in the details to revenue or wherever it goes

Nope, you can't - where are you even getting that from?!

Just to be clear, from Revenue's FAQs on the LPT:

"5.1 How do I calculate how much I will have to pay?
    The amount you pay will depend on the market value of your residential property on 1 May 2013.
    For the purposes of calculating LPT, property values will be organised into market value bands:
    • The initial band will be €0 - €100,000;
    • Subsequent bands will be organised in values of €50,000 width up to €1,000,000
    • The tax liability will be calculated by applying the tax rate to the mid-point of the band."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ours is ridiculous, band3 for a 4bed semi on dunmore road. Worth about 100k more than they say it is.

• Advertisement

No - This is not correct. You can value the house yourself or get it assessed however you will still pay at the midpoint of whatever band that value falls into.

Nope, you can't - where are you even getting that from?!
    deeks wrote: »
    No - This is not correct. You can value the house yourself or get it assessed however you will still pay at the midpoint of whatever band that value falls into.

yeah it was misinformation about it.

the fact than you can get/send in your own assessment of the house, was being mixed up with that you paid tax on this too, instead of just the midpoint it falls into

Advertisement