Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employing Contractors?

Options
  • 10-03-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking to set up a small company in the outdoor pursuits area. The work however will be a varied i.e. An event now, next one in a few weeks etc Is there a legal way to pay someone and have them look after their own tax affairs? Contracting sprung to mind but how does this fit into accounts? Its not filed as wages as your not paying an employee, or is it? Or is it simply an expense?

I should highlight that the contractors would most likely be self employed or at least of the age to look after their own affairs.

Any insight welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

If you are employing people for a few hours then I would recommend paying them as employees, then there can be no come back from Revenue.

If they earn less than €38 then Employer's PRSI is on 0.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you are employing people for a few hours then I would recommend paying them as employees, then there can be no come back from Revenue.

If they earn less than €38 then Employer's PRSI is on 0.5%

I'd be employing them (About 4 people) for a few nights per week over a fixed period. They would be providing a service and not utilizing anything provided by me. Using their expertise so to speak? However given the scale of the business I don't think full accounts would be cost effective (I presume its extremely expensive?)

Advertisement