Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a PS3

Options
  • 10-03-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Howdy all. First off, forgive my ignorance. I'm not at all a gamer but am looking for some advice. :o

I've been considering a PS3 for some time mainly for use as a Blu Ray player but I would also like to use it for light gaming. I'd mainly be looking at platform games the likes of what used to be on the old Nintendo Gameboys.

I'm hoping to pick up a PS3 in the next week or so but I don't know whether to go for the 12gb or the 500g. I know from the research that I've done that the 12gb doesn't hold much in terms of game saves but I wouldn't expect to need much memory. However, I've also heard that the newer games require a lot of memory.

Just looking for some advice on what to buy. The 12gb currently is about €200-€220 whilst the 500gb is €330-€320. All advice appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

If its for light (and I mean light) then go for the 12gb with the 12gb you always have the option of putting in your own hard drive later on , a standard 2.5" laptop drive will fit but you do need to buy a hard drive bracket with it all in all will come to about €50 - €80 depending on what size drive you buy so its up to you really but you won't be stuck for space down the line if that's what your worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

Thanks for that. I don't think I'd really have the technical knowledge to upgrade it to be honest so what I'm really wondering is what is meant by light usage. Like I'd be talking about Little Big Planet or Sonic the Hedgehog (I'm a child basically).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

You don't need technical knowlage to do it , its 5 screws and pop off a lid it sounds much harder than it is , best I can say is look for a tutorial video on youtube there will be plenty on that.

trev179 wrote: »
    You don't need technical knowlage to do it , its 5 screws and pop off a lid it sounds much harder than it is , best I can say is look for a tutorial video on youtube there will be plenty on that.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you have the extra cash get the 500GB model.

Invest in a year of PlayStation Plus too. You get free games every month. Generally one big major release and two or three smaller games which are often fun puzzle or platform games.

Also, get Rayman Origins, a fantastic platformer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. Was looking at a 500gb today actually but am no wondering whether to hold off for the PS4. Would I be right in thinking that when it comes out PS3 games will probably be difficult to get and the 4 versions won't play in the PS3?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

elainers wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. Was looking at a 500gb today actually but am no wondering whether to hold off for the PS4. Would I be right in thinking that when it comes out PS3 games will probably be difficult to get and the 4 versions won't play in the PS3?

It will be a few years before PS3 games will be hard to find.

There are plenty of games on the PS3 ro keep you occupied til you get a PS4.

More than likely, the PS4 won't be out in Ireland til this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Harvey Norman have a 500 gb PS3 for 268 with one game

Thanks for those responses - Harvey Norman however, seem to be sold out from what they tell me. :( Cheapest seems to be Smyths at €299 with one game for the 500gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

€329 for 3 games and 500gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I am in the same boat I would love a PS3 but the PS4 will be out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

but the ps4 is going to cost like 700 euro so he should just get a second hand one the 80 gb fat one can be bought for about 100-130 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Don' forget to check adverts ie. You can pick one up cheap on there if you don't mind second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am in the same boat I would love a PS3 but the PS4 will be out soon

If the PS4 follows the same pricing pattern as the PS3, Xbox360 etc, then the release price will be high. After one year it falls considerably which is the time to buy.

Therefore, forget about PS4 for 2 years and get a PS3. The 12Gb model is too small to be usable. The next one up will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

ii would love a ps4, but i'll defiantly a couple of years until most of the problems have been ironed out, price drops, better range of games and in fairness the ps3 does everything i need.

I actually spotted a 12bg PS3 for €165 in Harvey Norman's bank holiday sale thingy and picked that up. Figured for that price it would do grand! Thanks a mil for all your help in any case! :D

Advertisement