Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread cleaning

Options
  • 10-03-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

hi,
    does anyone know where could i get a small wire brush to clean out an internal thread/female thread. its a 5mm wide hole around 15 mm deep. i'm thinking of a bottle brush type thing. the thread is cut into cast iron if that helps.

thanks
    (i know this is metalwork I'm on about and this is the woodcraft forum but I couldn't find the metalwork forum although I doubt there is one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Try the shooting forum? 5mm is about the same as .177 air gun, I think shooters use little wire brushes to clean barrels. Alternatively you could put a 2mm 90 degree bend on a paperclip, file the end to a point and ream out the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a matching bolt.
    Run a cut vertically down the length of the bolt with a thin stainless disc for angle grinder, run the bolt down the internal thread with some Kerosene or oil and keep backing it out to clean the threads.( you may need to clean the cut threads a little with a triangular file) The gap allows swarf to gather without seizing up.
    Failing that run a tap down it with some lubricant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

How about a cotton bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have some small diameter brass bristle wire brushes (bottle brush type) that I got in a kit from Trend Routing for cleaning router collets, something similar should work in your application, see this:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-trend-collet-brush-kit-prod21695/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Prenderb wrote: »
    How about a cotton bud?

Thought I had the wrong sort of thing, alright, but that it might have been worth a whirl - sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement