Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo V Sony vaio

Options
  • 10-03-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Any help here would be very much appreciated.I have a choice between a
    Sony Vaio sve1512b,intel-i3,4Gb ram,750Gb HD,windows 7 home premium. €530
    or
    Lenovo Z580,intel-i3,4Gb ram,500Gb HD,windows 8,2.4ghz, €550

We will be using it for the daughter in coderdojo and the family laptop
    Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i got sony netbook, new vaio, now it has 5 dead pixels,after 6 months.
    SO i would not recommend sony to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

riclad wrote: »
    i got sony netbook, new vaio, now it has 5 dead pixels,after 6 months.

Pray for another one and they'll replace it under warranty. ;)

(IIRC, 5 dead pixel is within their tolerance for their cheapo stuff, but you can find out on the SONY support page for your model)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lenovo over Sony would be my recommendation. You see a fair few of them break down or have problems, not well built machines imo.

Nick

Cant be bother,ed bringing it back, its more like,8dead pixels,seems every 2 months another one dies.its about 19 months old.
    its not my main pc.just handy For traveling.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cant be bother,ed bringing it back, its more like,8dead pixels,seems every 2 months another one dies.its about 19 months old.
    its not my main pc.just handy or traveling.

Just get another panel for it if it's out of warranty, you shouldn't have any issue swapping them out :P

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sony are always overpriced and the ones that comes with the most bloat. I've seen 95+ processes running on a Sony Vaio with Windows 7, when Windows itself is about 35-40

IF it gets worse i,ll trade it in ,its just handy, easy to carry around.
    my friend got netbook,not sony, in the middle of,
    screen,Theres a dull patch,like a smudge,4x2 inches,
    looks much worse than my vaio screen.Don,t know what brand it ,is ,black case,bezel, keyboard, no sony logo.
    i just noticed it on friday, she usually uses it at work.
    i asked her to bring it home ,to set up wifi network,for her.
    i knocked off about 8 services to save energy,on the vaio.
    before buying any laptop, READ at least 3 reviews from uk websites.
    I don,t mind things being overpriced ,if they are well built, to a high quality,
    and dont develop faults after 6 months.
    eg if thing s are overpriced ,as against other companys products , consumers will tend not to buy them,
    unless it has an apple logo on it.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the Lenovo Z580. But neither is good value for money. At LD they're selling 3rd gen Core i3 laptops now for less than 350 yoyos. With a budget of €500 or more, I would not buy anything that doesn't have a Core i5 (unless it's some stylish ultrabook).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Torqay wrote: »
    If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the Lenovo Z580. But neither is good value for money. At LD they're selling 3rd gen Core i3 laptops now for less than 350 yoyos. With a budget of €500 or more, I would not buy anything that doesn't have a Core i5 (unless it's some stylish ultrabook).

LD? Where is that or am I missing something obvious?

dixiefly wrote: »
    LD? Where is that or am I missing something obvious?

Oh sorry, Laptops Direct. Here's a PB Laptop with the same specs for just €344.

• Advertisement

Would an i3 laptop, use less power, generate less heat than an i5 laptop.
    Less heat = less cooling needed ,longer battery life.LESS fan noise.
    I know some games may need an i5 cpu.
    eg battlefield 3 etc

Would an i3 laptop, use less power, generate less heat than an i5 laptop.

Wrong on both accounts, both processor series are identical in terms of power consumption, thermal design and operating temperatures.

Core i3 3110m vs Core i5 3210m

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cantescape

Steer well clear of the Sony Vaio. Hyped up and over rated. Mine developed a fault after 19 months. Complete BS dealing with the store, a Sony Centre. I will never deal with them again.

Don't buy a Sony Vaio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

yoyo wrote: »
    Lenovo over Sony would be my recommendation. You see a fair few of them break down or have problems, not well built machines imo.

Nick

Plus 1

Sony offer the worst bang per buck of all the laptop manufacturers, generally 20% more expensive than comparable laptop from any other brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lenovo over Sony Vaio, every time. I have so many of the same problems with them brought into me.

Sony Vaio's bodies are very light and tend to get broken / cracked easily. Wi-Fi card / switch and DVD drive tends to be a big issue in lots of them too, then there's the awful bloatware that comes pre-installed that just swallows up resources.

The DC Jack where you plug in your charger tend to break off from it's enclosure easier than any other brand of laptop causing it to become loose. Some newer models have a small steel clip now to keep it in place but still doesn't stop them from getting pushed back in or the middle of the jack breaks off resulting in you having to get it replaced.

Anyways, those prices are a bit steep for those specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

My old laptop was a Sony Vaio and I would never recommend them to anyone. It just so happens I bought the Lenovo Z580 for €550 off Harvey Norman in Jan. It's W7 but an i5, I'd definitely recommend it but it's a bit chunky and would be considered heavy but I don't because it's lighter than my old laptop, the keys are loud when you type - can be a bit annoying when in the library!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carrick

Thank you to everyone for their input and help,I am gone right off the Sony for obvious reasons so have narrowed it down to the Lenovo or Samsung NP353 depending on the price.I have had a Dell xps m1330 which is still going but had two motherboard replacements(luckily had insurance),also had the Asus Transformer Eee which completely crashed after approx a month,thanks to PC World who gave me my money back no quibbles.
    Again thanks to everyone

IN Cases where the price is similar ,i always go for samsung products,
    i never used a samsung laptop.
    Look in pc world ,make sure screen ,is as you like it, not too shiny, reflective.
    READ a review of ,of model x laptop , on a uk website,before you buy,
    i hate laptop,where power cable is too loose,or too close to a usb port.
    Move it slightly ,the power cable comes out,its handy to have 2 usb ports on the
    right or left side, FOR using external drives.
    you might one that has hdmi out.
    IF its not too heavy ,widescreen is handy for videos,youtube.
    i think a black keyboard, with white keys looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

carrick wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone for their input and help,I am gone right off the Sony for obvious reasons so have narrowed it down to the Lenovo or Samsung NP353 depending on the price.I have had a Dell xps m1330 which is still going but had two motherboard replacements(luckily had insurance),also had the Asus Transformer Eee which completely crashed after approx a month,thanks to PC World who gave me my money back no quibbles.
    Again thanks to everyone

I wish I got the Samsung NP353

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

nbar12 wrote: »
    I wish I got the Samsung NP353

Lenovo not working out? I'm eyeing up the Samsung Np353 at the moment, just worried I'm not getting the best bang for my buck. I really like the style of it though and the matte screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement