Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC postdoc salary: likely take-home pay?

Options
  • 10-03-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello, I'm applying for an IRC postdoc this year. I'm a US citizen who has never been employed in Ireland, and so I'm not familiar with tax, pension, and take-home pay issues. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what the take-home pay would be for the 31,275 Euro annual salary offered by the IRC postdocs in this year's competition?

The guidelines say that the IRC pays 31,275 per annum prior to income tax and social deductions. The IRC also pays "the employer's contribution to the PRSI costs of 10.75% of salary (which I assume is meaningless to the postdoc's take-home pay, but helpful to the host institution). Also, the IRC pays 20% of salary toward the pension contribution "where applicable".

So, what types of deductions are taken out of the 31,275 annual salary, in rough terms? Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MagicWanderer

Hi Jams,
    Welcome to Ireland!

Your take home pay would be about €25,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Your take home pay would be about €25,000.
    €25,561, to be precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

As it will most likely be through a College you will have PRD to pay out of that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jams O'Donnell

Thanks, all. Your help is greatly appreciated! I have a hard enough time keeping up with the US tax situation: I found it befuddling to try to figure out all the Irish acronyms, agencies, and revenue lingo by googling around. I really very much appreciate your help.

Advertisement