Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina Property Tax

Options
  • 10-03-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Had a look on the revenue site and the map system based on the ordance survey. It appears to have captured all the houses in the area.

Though the valuations bands are guidelines they all appear to be around 100k-150k for both houses built pre and post 2000. :(

The details from here are unclear on how the valuation is arrived at. Seems like a low guesstimate is used as opposed to any scientific approach like accounting for actual house sales via the property register.

I guess best approach is to have a chat with the neighbours and come up with some consensus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Wonder what the Revenue letter will say.......?

Houses in Rathmeel Lawns can vary from 60K to 150K.....

Each house holder will have to sort this out for themselves....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If the band is stated at 100-150 as it is in our area then thats what its going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Yeah fair enough. If you decide to sell and realise a value greater than the guideline/declared value the revenue can chase you for the difference.

Interesting to see that some of the bigger properties i.e. on acre sites, detached etc also have the same guideline 100k-150k

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

finisklin wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough. If you decide to sell and realise a value greater than the guideline/declared value the revenue can chase you for the difference.

Interesting to see that some of the bigger properties i.e. on acre sites, detached etc also have the same guideline 100k-150k

I understand that, I won't be selling so happy to leave it at that. The house is worth that and less than the higher band so this won't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That system as it currently stands basically puts the whole west of Ireland in the 100 to 150 brackets apart from perhaps cities. Its only a start point. You are not necessarily compliant with the revenue requirements if you elect to pay the figure as quoted there (and on any letter that will arrive). You must assess your home and decide on a value.
    I do believe that the mapping system is where the future of the tax is headed. Eventually, they will gather much more individual info and in maybe 10 years they will have a reasonably accurate valuation for alot of properties. After all some will declare true values now, some houses will be sold, again giving them true values, some self employed people will have normal audits and Im sure the property tax will be looked at there too not to mention further audits dedicated to the property tax.
    For now, Id say revenue are happy to get most people paying at the 100 to 150 rate and then when they have a good data base of all properties, they will target individual valuations.

• Advertisement

Some big houses out the Foxford Road, with big gates , interesting to see if

Social Welfare will pay for these....?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Park Royal wrote: »
    Some big houses out the Foxford Road, with big gates , interesting to see if

Social Welfare will pay for these....?.

how will you ever find out if they did?

Me brother is in the Dept of Social Welfare , he'll tell me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Apparently there is only one other place in the world that relies on a self-assesment system for a property tax. Where do ya reckon?............................

Rio de Janeiro

The reason is because of the large shanty/bordello areas which are pre-fabed hovels and are unrateable.

TT

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

TopTec wrote: »
    The reason is because of the large shanty/bordello areas...
    "Favelas". A bordello is something... quite different. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement