Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well I just hope he doesn't experience the same level of mindless abuse as the club has had to deal with over the last couple of days. Nobody deserves that.

Thats the danger of starting an internet mob. The initial mob mentality is fuelled by friends of the guy in question, loyalty to their friend dictating that they simply blindly support their pal and ask no questions. These are quickly joined by mindless clicking eejits who share just about everything and anything that pops up on their newsfeed.

However, as momentum builds, and more people hear about it, more people begin to ask rational questions and to question the moral behaviour of the person who started the internet mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

P_1 wrote: »
    They carry it down the stairs.

From my knowledge of the building I can't see where a lift could go which leaves 3 options:

1 - They install a stair lift
    2 - The staff carry the punter concerned down the stairs
    3 - The staff explain that sadly the facilities aren't there for the punter concerned to enter the premises safely

I cannot think of a more stupid and dangerous suggestion, what would happen if the staff trip on the stair and drop the wheelchair and its occupant?

What would happen if there was a fire or the premises needed to be evacuated for one reason or another?

The fact remains that many older buildings simply cannot be safely adapted for wheelchair use.

There are two sides to this story but both seem to indicate that one, other or both parties (the wheelchair user and the bouncer) handled the situation badly.

As the bouncer was a agency employee, it was easy to terminate his employment, however, it it proves to be the case that the wheelchair user has been somewhat creative about what actually happened, there is scope for the bouncer to sue the nightclub, the agency which employed him and the wheelchair user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Thats the danger of starting an internet mob. The initial mob mentality is fuelled by friends of the guy in question, loyalty to their friend dictating that they simply blindly support their pal and ask no questions. These are quickly joined by mindless clicking eejits who share just about everything and anything that pops up on their newsfeed.

However, as momentum builds, and more people hear about it, more people begin to ask rational questions and to question the moral behaviour of the person who started the internet mob.

Its the circle... the circle of life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

VinLieger wrote: »
    Fat people arent disabled they are just fat
    Some people are so fat they can't walk. If only there was some cure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

He was probably legless from the drink and refused entry on those grounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well I just hope he doesn't experience the same level of mindless abuse as the club has had to deal with over the last couple of days. Nobody deserves that.

i don't know. It'd all pass over in a week or two. And he has cost someone their job. and put others in danger. I'm not sure he deserves a hellstorm, but a bit of backlash might teach him a lesson.

vikingdub wrote: »
    I cannot think of a more stupid and dangerous suggestion, what would happen if the staff trip on the stair and drop the wheelchair and its occupant?

What would happen if there was a fire or the premises needed to be evacuated for one reason or another?

What would happen if the staff weren't trained to carry people and threw their backs out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So what happens now when somebody in a wheelchair tries to get in?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It may well be a stupid publicity stunt, but it still doesn't hide the fact that a lot of public places are still not wheelchair accessible.
    It's impossible for a lot of public places to be wheelchair accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Good question. Are they going to employ extra staff to carry people who can't use stairs up and down stairs, or do they fit a Stannah Stairlift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No DCC would have decided it wasn't practicable to have disabled access. Which is why I also said it shouldn't be down to the bouncer to decide who can and cant come in.

They should be able to state that their public liability license doesn't allow for people in wheel chairs. End of story.

But it is ultimately always his decision and again, you're assuming he was turned away for simply being in a wheelchair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

It may well be a stupid publicity stunt, but it still doesn't hide the fact that a lot of public places are still not wheelchair accessible.

well, without sounding too harsh - it's not all fun and games if you are in a wheelchair, and it's just an unfortunate reality that EVERY premises can NOT accommodate for this. its a fact, and it will always remain that way. some places just can not fit in the ramps/lift equipment that is required. (which makes any discrimination case void and null)

it is neither the fault of the nightclub, OR the guy in the wheelchair.
    maybe the friends of the guy should have been less sour about it instead.

the world's gone PC MAD!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pity your friend wasn't a black immigrant traveller burka clad wheelchair bound blind woman and got refused.
    Then the **** really would have hit the fan.

biko wrote: »
    Pity your friend wasn't a black immigrant traveller burka clad wheelchair bound blind woman and got refused.
    Then the **** really would have hit the fan.

Well, the racists/anti immigration people would be at the throats of the equal rights brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Really is disgraceful that this sort of discrimination still goes on .
    Against bouncers or people in wheelchairs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ush1 wrote: »

But it is ultimately always his decision and again, you're assuming he was turned away for simply being in a wheelchair.

Of course it's not. He enforces the managements policy. The owners decide dress code, age etc not the bouncer. The bouncer cant just decide to stop letting in people with blonde hair, because the owners won't be too happy.

The assumption that he was turned away for being in a wheelchair is the same one made by most people on this thread.

Some parts of this are very strange, how come someone just happened to be around to take a picture of him outside the club.

If I was refused entry the first thing to come into my head wouldn't be " let's take a picture of me looking sad outside the club".

And what was he doing that he had "45 minutes of embarrassment", sure it only takes a few minutes at most to be refused.

Some years ago a friend and myself were refused entry, not to a nightclub, but to a pub, on the grounds that we were "too old". We were in our early 50s at the time. We could have taken an action under the Equal Status legislation, instead we went elsewhere and had a good laugh. There is no way we would have considered contacting the media and making utter fools of ourselves.

I cannot understand how this guy managed to string out the refusal, no matter how badly handled, into "45 minutes of humiliation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

well, without sounding too harsh - it's not all fun and games if you are in a wheelchair, and it's just an unfortunate reality that EVERY premises can NOT accommodate for this. its a fact, and it will always remain that way. some places just can not fit in the ramps/lift equipment that is required. (which makes any discrimination case void and null)

it is neither the fault of the nightclub, OR the guy in the wheelchair.
    maybe the friends of the guy should have been less sour about it instead.

In fairness, it's got nothing to do with political correctness, it's an equality issue. The vast majority of places can be made wholly or partly wheelchair accessible but the extraordinarily high costs involved mean that business owners are (understandably) unwilling to do so. I've come to terms with the fact that I am unable to enter certain premises in Dublin but I see it as their loss as I simply take my business elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tbf, with all the Android and Apple phones and tablets out on the market now the world isn't half as PC mad as it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Completely OT but in my younger raving days I went to this nightclub in Wexford a few times. There was this sleazy old guy in a wheelchair who used to go around the dancefloor and wheel up behind girls in short skirts and then wheel into them so they'd fall into his lap :D Dirty fecker!

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter, adequate allowance should have been made for disabled access. This applies to the refurbishment of premises as well as new construction.

This should have been covered in their planning application and licence. Firstly and foremost because they are an employer.

I suggest you read both the Employment Equality Act, Equal Status Act, and the building regulations, where you find that what is required is "reasonable accommodation". The type of building modification and expense required to make the building the Madison operates from wheelchair accessible would not fall into the category of "reasonable accommodation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Absolutely shocking, but not surprised by this really. On a lesser level, Don't they have that "Face Control" thingy in Moscow? Jaysus, I'd
    die of embarrassment if I was refused entry in one of those clubs with me Irish head LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Of course it's not. He enforces the managements policy. The owners decide dress code, age etc not the bouncer. The bouncer cant just decide to stop letting in people with blonde hair, because the owners won't be too happy.

The assumption that he was turned away for being in a wheelchair is the same one made by most people on this thread.

It's the bouncers discretion if someone is drunk or not and if you are refused you will usually not be given a reason, so for all you or the managment know he refused them for being drunk but he really doesn't like blonde hair or wheelchair bound people, you wouldn't know.

The assumption says it all, as that's all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Still It would be pretty bad to level abuse at a guy in a wheelchair.

And some never will be, that is the reality, older buildings, listed buildings, etc simply cannot be retrofitted without extraordinary and unjustifiable expense and/or causing damage to an historically important building.

Where a building is not accessible, they are advised that this is the case and politely refused entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

so did the nightclub in question. They wouldnt be allowed to operate/open the business to the public without having been thoroughly checked by different departments of the local authority (in this case it would be DCC).
    If they keep the lease going from the last crowd they can avoid some inspections. There's a pub in my town that has been desperate to keep the lease going because the owners know that if they have to reopen the pub it won't pass any safety inspections. Buildings that are unsuitable shouldn't be given licenses, it's as simple as that. The older buildings in town are just not suitable or more likely the people investing don't want to put in the money required to make them suitable.

Magenta wrote: »
    I have to say.... Disabled people can be very obnoxious. I lived across the pond for a while, where there were many obese people in electric wheelchairs. They would literally mow you down if you didn't jump out of THEIR way. This being in a busy shopping area!
    I've had dealings with disabled people, those restricted to wheelchairs specifically. While sometimes they may come off as obnoxious it's often fuelled by the way they're treated by able bodied people who seem to assume people in wheelchairs can do everything some able bodied person can do they just do it sitting down. Able bodied people just don't understand how hard it is to push your weight around in a chair. Able bodied people also just don't have the awareness needed around someone in a wheelchair, walking in front of them then complaining when they get an ankle biting from the chair.

I think a lack of awareness of other people is common in Ireland, just look at the way we drive and park.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Still It would be pretty bad to level abuse at a guy in a wheelchair.

The abuse directed at the club and the bouncer has been pretty bad. Actually its been horrendous. If it was a family member of mine I would be horrified at people saying they are going to shoot him in the legs or set his house on fire. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The abuse directed at the club and the bouncer has been pretty bad. Actually its been horrendous. If it was a family member of mine I would be horrified at people saying they are going to shoot him in the legs or set his house on fire. Shocking stuff.

I quite agree! If this is a publicity stunt then its frankly disgusting.

• Advertisement

Just googled this guy, he seems to be a serial attention seeker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ScumLord wrote: »
    If they keep the lease going from the last crowd they can avoid some inspections. There's a pub in my town that has been desperate to keep the lease going because the owners know that if they have to reopen the pub it won't pass any safety inspections. Buildings that are unsuitable shouldn't be given licenses, it's as simple as that. The older buildings in town are just not suitable or more likely the people investing don't want to put in the money required to make them suitable.

I've had dealings with disabled people, those restricted to wheelchairs specifically. While sometimes they may come off as obnoxious it's often fuelled by the way they're treated by able bodied people who seem to assume people in wheelchairs can do everything some able bodied person can do they just do it sitting down. Able bodied people just don't understand how hard it is to push your weight around in a chair. Able bodied people also just don't have the awareness needed around someone in a wheelchair, walking in front of them then complaining when they get an ankle biting from the chair.

I think a lack of awareness of other people is common in Ireland, just look at the way we drive and park.

Agree totally. It's the old "f**k you, I'm alright Jack" syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Mob mentality.
    If those threats were made then they should be dealt with by the Gardai in my opinion.
    If you said something like that verbally you could be looking at a criminal charge.
    Might seem drastic but you can't let stuff like that occur, otherwise people will think it is acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

vikingdub wrote: »

I suggest you read both the Employment Equality Act, Equal Status Act, and the building regulations, where you find that what is required is "reasonable accommodation". The type of building modification and expense required to make the building the Madison operates from wheelchair accessible would not fall into the category of "reasonable accommodation".

I covered that in later posts.

Caliden wrote: »
    Mob mentality.
    If those threats were made then they should be dealt with by the Gardai in my opinion.
    If you said something like that verbally you could be looking at a criminal charge.
    Might seem drastic but you can't let stuff like that occur, otherwise people will think it is acceptable.

I totally agree.

But the person responsible for whipping up the frenzy is the guy in question and he should be charged with inciting violence. He could have taken down his image after the apology and firing of someone but instead chose to continue sharing it this morning, further fuelling the madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was trying not to be cynical towards the chap but just after seeing his twitter post this morning. He has tweeted probably a dozen times in the last two years. Today he puts

"Busy day ahead ;)"

Hard not to argue he's absolutely loving this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

marcsignal wrote: »
    A friend of mine of many years 'Graham Bolger' was refused entry to the Madison Nightclub on Wicklow Street, Dublin, last night, because he is a wheelchair user :mad:.

OP : Cat bit your tongue or something. Don't tell me that you and your fellow cronies aren't lurking. Things didnt go to plan, what a pity. :rolleyes:

If they had, you'd be all over this thread gushing sentimental bull like bees to honey trying to stoke things along.

As Bolgers picture has been so publicly put out there, maybe it should be used as the "photoshop picture of the week" on cool pics and video forum with many paraodies made of it, then see what its like with the shoe on the other foot. ;)

Would love a thread locked to comments with just a poll, stating the bare facts, and whether the club should have refused admission or not. Maybe someone could set this up. The results would be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

hard to know which side of the fence to sit on with this. like sure enough a disability should not stop someone from going where they want to go. but imo someone with a disaibilty wouldn't want to go where there is going to be absolute hardship. After a few drinks i struggle in some clubs to find my way around so can only imagine what would happen in the event of a fire.

If he has enjoyed so many nights out and never had such a problem, I can only feel that he's been looking for his chance.

Don't get me wrong. It's terrible that the club couldn't accomodate him, but not as terrible as a man losing his job over such a little scrap.

Some buildings cannot accomodate, and I'm afraid thats just that. Think this is really a sh!tstorm in a tea cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

he is not looking for attention...just youtube views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Agree totally. It's the old "f**k you, I'm alright Jack" syndrome.
    Disgusting attitude. It's almost as bad as getting someone sacked cos they wouldn't let your drunk mates carry you down stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

El Spearo wrote: »
    It's terrible that the club couldn't accomodate him

It's not really. It's terrible he's in a wheelchair, and he's terribly stupid for not calling ahead and asking if they had wheelchair access, but the rest of it is distinctly unterrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Even on his FB page it's now at a point where "Graham Bolger shared Graham Bolger's photo." ... he's sharing it over and over just to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Still haven't heard if the bouncer said "I'm not leaving you in because you're in a wheelchair" or words to that effect.

If he has, then the bouncer got what he deserved.

Otherwise, Graham Bolger is an awful human being.

I've seen the question asked several times but not seen an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

marcsignal wrote: »
    Don't know what the excuse is, but suffice to say, he's not a happy man.

No idea who the two bints are, sorry.

It's been established that your good friend of many years knows these women fairly well. It has even been claimed that one of those women is his other half.

How come you don't know who these women are?
    Why have you called them bints?
    Why have you put your friends name in 'invertd commas'?
    And, it's been asked countless times, what exactly happened in those 45 minutes?

This whole thing just does not add up. I'd usually be the last person in the world who'd stick up for bouncers, but this isn't discrimination. This is a warped, completely needless agenda against a nightclub.

What you and your friend are getting from seeing all this vitriol on Facebook from pondlife, don't think I want to know. This graham fella seems to be revelling in it, which is frankly disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Still haven't heard if the bouncer said "I'm not leaving you in because you're in a wheelchair" or words to that effect.

If he has, then the bouncer got what he deserved.

Otherwise, Graham Bolger is an awful human being.

I've seen the question asked several times but not seen an answer.

Hard to disagree with that.

When I first read this story I thought the bouncer got what he deserved, now I am starting to think he should be re-instated. Looks like this story could run for a bit yet, before the truth come out!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I have a security license although it is not my occupation and from training you learn that you can be put in positions you cant win.

We went over numerous scenarios and from my recollection what we believed should be done is to always allow wheelchair users in and if there are stairs or other obstacles to as politely as possible explain that staff would need to carry him through.

You would also need to make sure nobody bothers him

you need to do all this while keeping every assigned security guard at their posts.

So basically they need at least 2 strong guys who are not busy just to do that
    I doubt if many nightclubs can.

In my opinion a person in a wheelchair going to a busy nightclub where the only entrance has stairs is just taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Have to say OP this thread really has come back and bitten you on the @ss

Too dodgy with the one sided info... No wonder most people are siding with reality and accepting that health and safety risks are possibly the real reason your friend was turned away..

Notice you are very quiet on this thread now!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

IMO Bolger has done a huge disservice to the physically handicapped through his ego driven crusade, with positives within the area being extremely good through the Paralympics and its heroes, Adam Hills "Last Leg" etc.

This vitriolic campaign belongs in the dark ages and has badly backfired.

Now that he has posted his picture on the internet and Dublin being such a small city, he'll be recognised everywhere as being complete and utter bitter toolbox of a numpty, and well deserved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Be hilarious if other clubs stop him going in there too in future.

"not tonight pal"
    "why?"
    "because you're an attention seeking knob"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

md23040 wrote: »
    IMO Bolger has done a huge disservice to the physically handicapped through his ego driven crusade, with positives within the area being extremely good through the Paralympics and its heroes, Adam Hills "Last Leg" etc.

This vitriolic campaign belows in the dark ages and has badly backfired.

Now that he has posted his picture on the internet and Dublin being such a small city, he'll be recognised everywhere as being complete and bitter toolbox of a numpty, and well deserved too.

Not really. Outside the cosy bubble of AH, from reading threads on Facebook and Twitter he still has far more support than opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

i feel the tide is turning on this guy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement