Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

krudler wrote: »
    Be hilarious if other clubs stop him going in there too in future.

"not tonight pal"
    "why?"
    "because you're an attention seeking knob"

actually if hes known to cause trouble with other clubs that is a genuine reason so saying that his social media slandering of a nightclub threatened the life of its staff is perfectly acceptable.

Edit; though of course this could come to the discretion of a judge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

i feel the tide is turning on this guy

On what grounds? Search for Madison Nightclub on Twitter, take a look at their Facebook. Fair amount of people on both sides but I'd say he definitely has more supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

On what grounds? Search for Madison Nightclub on Twitter, take a look at their Facebook. Fair amount of people on both sides but I'd say he definitely has more supporters.

people who stand back and take a good look at the situation, all is not what it seems. people on fb pages are just jumping on anything that appears on their timelines...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Yep, it's great having the support of the likes of that lad who threatened to blow off the bouncers legs or the countless others who threatened violence.

Wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They're getting slagged off too. This is a serious issue. Not allowing someone into a premises on the grounds that they are in a wheelchair is ridiculous in this day and age.
    WHEELCHAIR + STAIRS = FAIL

Highlighted as it as you seem to have not noticed.
    Nobody deserves that.
    Except the attention whores who use their disability to get someone fired.

Oh, wait.
    So what happens now when somebody in a wheelchair tries to get in?
    Tell them to use the lift up the stairs? :pac:
    maybe the friends of the guy should have been less sour about it instead.
    His friends picked the one nightclub that has a stairs and no lift.

Maybe they were trying to give him a hint?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Similar to the treatment I got at Smyths bar, Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems if you go against the grain on the Madisone FB thread, you must be a "bouncer".

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Yep, it's great having the support of the likes of that lad who threatened to blow off the bouncers legs or the countless others who threatened violence.

Wonderful.

I never said I approve of douchebags like that, I simply said that he seems to have far more supporters than detractors, to counter the people saying "the tide is turning" when there seems to be very little evidence of that. :rolleyes:

Fairly weak strawman, I've seen better arguments from the likes of John O'Donoghue*

*Ok that was a bit harsh, you're not quite as bad as him : D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

people who stand back and take a good look at the situation, all is not what it seems. people on fb pages are just jumping on anything that appears on their timelines...

sure thats how we got Kony, oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

This is one of the reasons I detest social media. It gives idiots a platform to whip other idiots into a frenzy without any knowledge of the facts. Most people are just armed with a knee-jerk emotional reaction and are articulating that in a faceless way from behind a keyboard without any consideration for the fact that real people are involved here.

A man has unjustly lost his job and been sacrificed by his employer

or

Another man has been discriminated against for his disability

Whichever is true, this is really harsh on someone and yet there is still no sign of the actual facts emerging.

Damn Mark Zuckerberg to hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Very bad form by the nightclub. Should have facilities for disabled people it is the twenty first century.
    Really shocking behaviour by that bouncer.

Disgusting carry on by some of the boards heads to call a young fella in a wheelchair a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

hope the bouncer gets employed somewhere else (or re-employed)

did Graham bolger stop to think that he could be financially ruining a whole family (the bouncer could be the only working person) before he waged this campaign?

im definitely on the side of the nightclub,.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 veep

DeanAustin wrote: »
    A man has unjustly lost his job and been sacrificed by his employer

or

Another man has been discriminated against for his disability

In fairness, it look to me like both are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Very bad form by the nightclub. Should have facilities for disabled people it is the twenty first century.

Disgusting carry on by some of the boards heads to call a young fella in a wheelchair a liar.

So you know both sides of the story then?
    Guilty until proven innocent? jog on will you...

disgusting that you are using his wheelchair to try and incite sympathy for a liar.

there's no way a bouncer would say that to anyone.

you dont see black people who are refused for carrying a beer (which is in his hand in the photos btw) or being drunk turning around and waging vicious campaigns of discrimination.

its not the done thing.

he's definitely lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Damned Facebook. Making After Hours look like a pit of sensibility and reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

I don't think anyone is calling him a liar, just people asking for a clarification of the facts, which have not been forthcoming.

veep wrote: »
    In fairness, it look to me like both are true.

Possibly but the facts will only be able to prove one of them to be true IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

People in wheelchairs can't tell lies? They must have upgraded those things since I was in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dddmac

Regulations that came into force after 2010 regarding disability access:
    Disability Access Certificate: an Overview

*Any building work that requires Planning Permission and a Fire Cert will now also require an Access Cert.
    *All non-domestic building work that starts on site after 1st Jan 2010 will need a certificate before works begin.
    *Non-domestic building work includes new hotels, apartment blocks, shops, churches, offices, etc. In fact, everything except private houses. It also includes any changes to these types of buildings that will affect their layout or facilities, e.g. extensions, ramps or toilets.
    *An Access Cert will normally be applied for at the same time as a Fire Cert.
    *Work cannot start on site without an Access Cert. However, as there is no official time period (unlike a Fire Cert) in which the Building Control Authority are required to issue the cert, this may potentially lead to delays for applicants.

Link to building control act 2007

Dublin City Disability access cert requirements

• Advertisement

Pretty shocking to call a disabled man a liar.
    The disabled man has not waged a vicious campaign of discrimination. I don't really know what you mean.

In my experience bouncers stick up for each other so the fact that the bouncer got the sack shows that he must have been really out of order.

I sincerely hope that an innocent man didn't get the sack but what would the disabled man in a wheelchair have to gain from getting the bouncer sacked?

disgusting that you are using his wheelchair to try and incite sympathy for a liar.

there's no way a bouncer would say that to anyone.

you dont see black people who are refused for carrying a beer (which is in his hand in the photos btw) or being drunk turning around and waging vicious campaigns of discrimination.

its not the done thing.

he's definitely lying.

orestes wrote: »
    People in wheelchairs can't tell lies? They must have upgraded those things since I was in one.
    They rarely do tell lies though and this young man in a wheelchair has no motivation for lying about the bouncer.

The disabled man has not waged a vicious campaign of discrimination. I don't really know what you mean.

In my experience bouncers stick up for each other so the fact that the bouncer got the sack shows that he must have been really out of order.

I sincerely hope that an innocent man didn't get the sack but what would the disabled man in a wheelchair have to gain from getting the bouncer sacked?

Have you read any of this thread? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon like everyone on facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Facebook (for the hard of thinking) is that way >>

They rarely do tell lies though and this young man in a wheelchair has no motivation for lying about the bouncer.

Not being funny because you've raised some good points but what makes you think that people in wheelchairs tell less lies than anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭The Road Runner

Saints the lot of them.
    The disabled man has not waged a vicious campaign of discrimination.

He was given an apology yesterday. Why wake up this morning and start all over again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are you seriously saying that people in wheelchairs rarely tell lies? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Bahahahahahahaaha! are you joking? Please tell me you are joking. Because he is in a wheelchair he is infallible? I don't know exactly what happened with this case and neither do the 99% of people on here or on facebook but your arguement that because someone is disabled means they are some sort of perfect human being is laughable.

New user, you are obviously a mate of his and doing him no favours with your ridiculous posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

You are obviously connected in some way to the man in the wheelchair, why don’t you stop trolling and spouting bull and wait till the facts are forthcoming.

I read the whole thread and apart from one reposted page from facebook in which another bouncer alleges that the young wheelchair bound man and his attractive friends are liars there is no evidence to go against Mr Bolger. Bouncers because of the sort of job it is tend to stick together. If someone might stick a knife in your back you like to know that someone else is watching it!

What I do see here is the sort of vile bullying that welcomes the opportunity to attack someone for being in a wheelchair.

The weak, the lazy and those who cannot make a go of their own lives love to attack the marginalised. That's what is driving the attacks on Mr Bolger.

I have no connection to the young man in a wheelchair at all and rarely go out to nightclubs but I feel that they should have the same rights as everyone else.

By the way the offer to allow Mr Bolger's two female high heel wearing friends is insulting and dismissive of his right to enter the night club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, other than taking to social media with just his side of the story and getting a man fired because of, what appears to be now, nothing more than malice I suppose he hasn't done anything wrong.
    Or that the company reacted in a knee-jerk fashion fearing a backlash from the public if they weren't seen to act on this perceived discrimination.
    Other than a big pile of money from a discrimination case, you mean?

Remember; just because someone is a member of a minority it doesn't mean that they're not a nasty little toe-rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Why are people in wheelchairs any different from the rest of us? As Dr. House says, everybody lies. Talking about people in wheelchairs as if they're some sort of modern day saints is patronizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Kidneyfan

Maybe you should read the WHOLE thread and not just one or 2 posts you didn't like...

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Not being funny because you've raised some good points but what makes you think that people in wheelchairs tell less lies than anyone else?
    Because I would hope that the bad experience of being in a wheelchair helps them to become better people.

ah come off it, have you ever felt the rage for being refused from a place on "not tonight mate" or whatever non-reason you're given.

that's why i made the point of black people being refused, you dont see them turning around with campaigns like this. "they wouldnt let me in because i am black". that doesnt happen in this day and age.

Bouncers may come across as loud, or aggressive to some people, but it's sh!te like this that maybe makes some of them this way?

anyway, my point is, he THINKS he has a lot to gain by twisting the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Infact if all these muppets on facebook are going to be avoiding the Maddison it might be somewhere I'll frequent in the future.
    Do you mean the muppet's abroad who will never come to Ireland and see fit to comment. Or the Irish muppet's commenting. Was walking past Madison last Friday and I could hear music playing but you calling it music was wrong as it was ****e, so you will never see me in there for that reason.

I read the whole thread and apart from one reposted page from facebook in which another bouncer alleges that the young wheelchair bound man and his attractive friends are liars there is no evidence to go against Mr Bolger. Bouncers because of the sort of job it is tend to stick together. If someone might stick a knife in your back you like to know that someone else is watching it!

What I do see here is the sort of vile bullying that welcomes the opportunity to attack someone for being in a wheelchair.

The weak, the lazy and those who cannot make a go of their own lives love to attack the marginalised. That's what is driving the attacks on Mr Bolger.

http://files.sharenator.com/They_see_me_trollin_They_hatin_The_Art_of_Trolling-s447x686-128686-565.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I have no connection to the young man in a wheelchair at all and rarely go out to nightclubs but I feel that they should have the same rights as everyone else.

By the way the offer to allow Mr Bolger's two female high heel wearing friends is insulting and dismissive of his right to enter the night club.

This makes so much more sense now, you're the chick in the OP's photo with the nice arse,right?

Because I would hope that the bad experience of being in a wheelchair helps them to become better people.

Are you having a laugh?

I hope you are or you're tremendously naive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

kidneyfan wrote:
    Pretty shocking to treat a disabled man differently from other men.

so what you HOPE is now bible?

look, the unfortunate reality is, exactly what you said "the BAD EXPERIENCE OF BEING IN A WHEELCHAIR".... ie: this is normal if you are in a wheelchair. some places do not have access,some do, and it doesnt mean he has the right to make a huge scene for nearly an hour outside the club, and getting some chap fired from his job.

in my honest opinion, i really think he was out for a claim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He has nothing to gain out of it. Do you think that the equality commissioner is going to give him 10 grand or something? No chance.

For me the heart of the matter is the offer for his friends (female and wearing high heels) to carry him down the stairs.

If these were the friends referred to the bouncer was totally out of order.

I have been bulling when refused entry but it was usually because I was drunk and acting the prick.
    ah come off it, have you ever felt the rage for being refused from a place on "not tonight mate" or whatever non-reason you're given.

that's why i made the point of black people being refused, you dont see them turning around with campaigns like this. "they wouldnt let me in because i am black". that doesnt happen in this day and age.

Bouncers may come across as loud, or aggressive to some people, but it's sh!te like this that maybe makes some of them this way?

anyway, my point is, he THINKS he has a lot to gain by twisting the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you consider the disabled mentally incapable of lying, or do you have some other reason to deny that people in wheelchairs are just as fallible and corruptible as the rest of humanity? 'Cos I've known a couple, and they're just like every one else.

This x1000. It's super rare for bouncers to be dealt with properly when they step out of line. Remember the photo of the guy with the horribly bruised face last year after he was beaten up by bouncers? Never heard of the club apologizing or taking any action at all.

If times are changing and these people are going to be held accountable for their actions while on the job, fantastic. 'Bout time a lot of them learned that theirs is basically a customer service job in which being rude or obnoxious towards people has actual consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I read a statement on Facebook from the guy who took the photo.
    He said this was the first nightclub he got to after getting out of the taxi.
    Err, how many clubs does he go to on a typical night out??
    And if this is the first time he has been refused, he's got a better ratio than a lot of non wheelchair bound people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

He has nothing to gain out of it. Do you think that the equality commissioner is going to give him 10 grand or something? No chance.

For me the heart of the matter is the offer for his friends (female and wearing high heels) to carry him down the stairs.

If these were the friends referred to the bouncer was totally out of order.

I have been bulling when refused entry but it was usually because I was drunk and acting the prick.

How do you know he wasn't doing the same?

in my honest opinion, i really think he was out for a claim.

Not sure he'd have done his chances any good by going down this route.

If this isn't what Graham is claiming, then it looks to me like it could be a misguided attempt to get some attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Dude, you are going to be eaten alive here, are you familiar with After Hours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

LizT wrote: »
    Why are people in wheelchairs any different from the rest of us? As Dr. House says, everybody lies. Talking about people in wheelchairs as if they're some sort of modern day saints is patronizing.

You must not forget, it suited his bias agenda. :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement