Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Boombastic wrote: »

Another interesting thing is that they both have the same building/house marked as places lived on their facebook maps....Dun, dun, dun....

The GPO?

That's the Dublin marker, not a specific address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I wheely think you are onto a winner.

And I really think you've shown your true colours with that lame gag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

I see what you did there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The GPO?

Since 1916, everyone Irish has to live for 60 days in the GPO. Everyone knows this. Obviously these two were staying on the wheelchair ramp and this is where they first plotted their nefarious scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The GPO?

No dame Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

I wheely think you are onto a winner.

I think the Guy in the wheelchair was tyred...thats why he was refused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think this thread has run its course??? Before the "jokes" get insulting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Hes on a roll with those wheel chair jokes

Fieldog wrote: »
    Excellent work Columbo,

Hey, I helped! :(

No dame Street

That same spot seems to come up for everyone I know living in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I think this thread has run its course??? Before the "jokes" get insulting.

Hey, tyres have threads, how could I turn that into a wickedly sharp pun that only a bitter chair user might resent? They need to get a sense of humour.

No dame Street

"No Dame Street".

or

"No, Dame Street".

?

'cos that's the GPO.

nPDglQR.png

Hes on a roll with those wheel chair jokes

Really? Think it's gone a bit flat myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hey, I helped! :(

Well done Mrs Colombo....

:D

"No Dame Street".

or

"No, Dame Street".

?

'cos that's the GPO.

nPDglQR.png

No, if you go in to the map of anyone living in Dublin there will be a marker on Dame Street stating it's their current address and location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My true colours?. I am not the 1 who used my disability for what appears to be personal gain.

No, if you go in to the map of anyone living in Dublin there will be a marker on Dame Street stating it's their current address and location.

Dam Apple Maps problems are cropping up again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

"No Dame Street".

or

"No, Dame Street".

?

'cos that's the GPO.

nPDglQR.png

If we are going by iOs maps though isn't the zoo on Dame street?

:pac:

Actually its bing maps - Graham probably lives in Australia and this was all a dream....

"No Dame Street".

or

"No, Dame Street".

?

'cos that's the GPO.

nPDglQR.png

That might be the GPO in your link, That's not where the marker is on the map. The marker I'm looking at is on Dame Street, across the river. Not the GPO :p

That might be the GPO in your link, That's not where the marker is on the map. The marker I'm looking at is on Dame Street, across the river. Not the GPO :p

Odd.. that is the map I see on his page.

• Advertisement

Odd.. that is the map I see on his page.

Yeah, that's what appears on the wall, double click on it and you will see a marker for Dame Street but it's on all maps of people living in Dublin - I'm presuming it's a non-specific address so that you can't track them to their house if you find out they've won the lotto.

Yeah, that's what appears on the wall, double click on it and you will see a marker for Dame Street but it's on all maps of people living in Dublin - I'm presuming it's a non-specific address so that you can't track them to their house if you find out they've won the lotto.

Ah ok, I'll stand corrected, I would have thought that the GPO would be for a non specific address, anyhow carry on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

you guys.......i think i've just figured out the venue for the next Boards Beers!! >_<

Fukk yeah, let's roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Having read all 24 pages now I know have the following dialogue stuck in my head.
    G-Man rolls up to bouncers "Roight, gorilla one to the left wheel, gorilla two to my right wheel. Okay minions hoist me up and carry me down, loike immediately".
    Bouncer "Nah, get your mates to do it, i'm not putting my back out for anyone"
    G-Man " OMG, I am like totes gonna make you pay, Quentin, take a photo shorpish"
    Bouncer "Do what you want but you aint getting in now for being lippy"
    G-Man "loike, do you know who I am?"

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder will the wheelchair chap name and shame another disabled unfriendly nightclub he couldnt get into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

How do we know these are the grounds for him not being let in. We don't know anything about your friend except what you have chosen to tell us. If it is a case of genuine discrimination, let the courts decide.

mikeym wrote: »
    I wonder will the wheelchair chap name and shame another disabled unfriendly nightclub he couldnt get into?

Depends on how close it is to one of his favourite haunts ;). Seriously doubt it as he has been rumbled and we all know about the boy who cried wolf and besides most clubs will be keeping a close watch in case he turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Just because he's in a wheelchair doesn't preclude him from acting like a tosser!

Reminds me of this guy from the inbetweeners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How do we know these are the grounds for him not being let in. We don't know anything about your friend except what you have chosen to tell us. If it is a case of genuine discrimination, let the courts decide.

Bet ya a fiver this will never end up in the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

"No Dame Street".

or

"No, Dame Street".

?

'cos that's the GPO.

nPDglQR.png

That's not the GPO, that's Schuh!

That's not the GPO, that's Schuh!

McDonald's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bruno has secured an interview with the bouncer. 1:20 in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Since 1995, he jumped off the forty foot
    2m claim could shut Forty Foot swim group

He also highlighted the few small advantages of his situation: queues could sometimes be skipped and pushy charity canvassers left you alone.

:pac::pac: Those smiley faces are for what he describes as the few advantages of his situation, not for his accident, though I better clarify that before someone jumps down my throat)

Very interesting given the context of the facebook interaction between them...

Grayson wrote: »
    Bet ya a fiver this will never end up in the courts.
    Quick call Paddy Power you might get great odds on this.

Since 1995, he jumped off the forty foot
    2m claim could shut Forty Foot swim group

He also highlighted the few small advantages of his situation: queues could sometimes be skipped and pushy charity canvassers left you alone.

:pac::pac: Those smiley faces are for what he describes as the few advantages of his situation, not for his accident, though I better clarify that before someone jumps down my throat)

The thick plottens...

Interesting that the 2nd link praises Belfast for being wheelchair accessible as if that were purely by design, and not WWII, bombings and security measures.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Bruno has secured an interview with the bouncer. 1:20 in.

I'm back to my crappy phone Aldric. Would you mind summarising the conversation for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm back to my crappy phone Aldric. Would you mind summarising the conversation for me?

It's not real, yeah?

Oh :( I can see feck all except for text on this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Oh :( I can see feck all except for text on this thing.

Ah right!
    Just sacha baron Cohan taking the piss!

starlings wrote: »
    The thick plottens...

Interesting that the 2nd link praises Belfast for being wheelchair accessible as if that were purely by design, and not WWII, bombings and security measures.

Is everything to be criticised?! No opinion of this guy is now valid or beyond scrutiny it seems. Everything is he does is orchestrated to a set agenda?

Jesus wept. Btw, I don't even know if it's Olan McGowan or the other guy that mentioned Belfast, but the way the clan on here are talking it would appear that they're both in it together to make a quick buck on the back of that doorman.

• Advertisement

Is everything to be criticised?! No opinion of this guy is now valid or beyond scrutiny it seems. Everything is he does is orchestrated to a set agenda?

Jesus wept. Btw, I don't even know if it's Olan McGowan or the other guy that mentioned Belfast, but the way the clan on here are talking it would appear that they're both in it together to make a quick buck on the back of that doorman.

This thread should be moved to CT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

starlings wrote: »
    The thick plottens...

Olan bombed Belfast in WW2? Jeepers, I never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well yes, especially when said person decides to use the internet to promote their own agenda. There are proper channels for an issue like this to be dealt with in a civilised manner, FB & Twitter are not it.
    Live by the sword and all that kinda stuff.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

studiorat wrote: »
    Olan bombed Belfast in WW2? Jeepers, I never knew that.

Oh he did yeah, just so I could make a clumsy post here 70 years later about Dublin and Belfast being apples and oranges when it comes to comparative accessibility.

:p

Well Olan successfully sued Searson's pub for having no disabled toilets so instead of contacting your lawyer you obviously contact him via Social Media. If you were going to court why show your hand early?. Me thinks he wants to settle asap before it goes to court.

Well Olan successfully sued Searson's pub for having no disabled toilets so instead of contacting your lawyer you obviously contact him via Social Media. If you were going to court why show your hand early?. Me thinks he wants to settle asap before it goes to court.

Olan is also on the board of the Irish Wheelchair Association who were sued in January for discriminating against deaf people

Wheelchair body pays €10,000 for discrimination

:D

Not sure under what grounds he managed to sue this pub. Maybe it's a new build? As I'm sure you know, there are probably more pubs without specific wheelchair accessible jacks than there are with. And I don't hear about them getting sued, ever. Afaik it wasn't a legal requirement up to about 10 years ago, and then only when building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Is everything to be criticised?! No opinion of this guy is now valid or beyond scrutiny it seems.

I think you're mixing up criticised and questioned, and everything should be fair game to be questioned. Nothing (opinion, action, or anything else) should ever be considered beyond scrutiny. Otherwise we would just have to take everybodies word for everything, which would be a complete disaster because people can be dishonest, self-serving, lying, deceitful, and naughty.

Not sure under what grounds he managed to sue this pub. Maybe it's a new build? As I'm sure you know, there are probably more pubs without specific wheelchair accessible jacks than there are with. And I don't hear about them getting sued, ever. Afaik it wasn't a legal requirement up to about 10 years ago, and then only when building.

Radio Presenter Wins Disability Case Against Pub
    Press Release - 29 Jun 2006
    In a case involving a wheelchair user denied access to toilet facilities, the Equality Authority today welcomed a consent Order made by Judge O'Donnell of the District Court that Searson's Pub Baggot Street, discriminated against a customer with a disability. Searson's undertook as part of the Order to provide wheelchair accessible toilets in accordance with Part M of the Building Regulations by 1st December 2006 and to pay €500 to the claimant and a further €500 to the Irish Wheelchair Association.

This case was taken by Mr Olan McGowan who is a wheelchair user with the support of the Equality Authority. Mr Olan McGowan is the presenter and producer of the 'Outside the Box' radio series on RTE. He attended a college reunion in Searson's public house on Baggot Street, Dublin 4 on 22nd October 2005. He was one of a group of 25 people. The group reserved an area of the pub for themselves and had ordered some food. However during the course of the evening, Mr McGowan approached one of the barmen with a friend and asked whether there was a toilet that was wheelchair accessible. The barman informed them that there was no wheelchair accessible toilet and suggested that Mr McGowan try the Waterloo Bar which was located nearby. The barman did not offer any apology or assistance to Mr McGowan. Mr McGowan was then compelled to leave the pub and visit the Waterloo Bar which kindly offered their toilet facility and then returned to Searson's Pub. The claimant subsequently sought the assistance of the Equality Authority.

The Equality Authority sought to clarify what efforts were made by the pub to cost the facilitation of a wheelchair accessible toilet. However, despite numerous requests by the Equality Authority no such information was provided by the pub up to and including the day of the hearing.

In welcoming the outcome of the case Niall Crowley, CEO of the Equality Authority stated "the outcome of this case is very important for people with disabilities. It clarifies that the failure of licensed premises, which includes public houses, hotels and restaurants, to provide toilets that are accessible to wheelchair users constitutes less favourable treatment, is discriminatory and breaches service provider's obligations to provide reasonable accommodation for its customers with disabilities. This has important implications for all service providers. It will contribute to greater accessibility for and participation by people with disabilities in social life".

He added that "the case reflects an important pattern that has emerged in casework under the Intoxicating Liquor Act. It builds on an earlier case where the Russell Court Hotel, Dublin, consented to a finding of discrimination on the disability ground by the District Court and undertook to install a wheelchair accessible toilet to serve the hotel bar. As such the case must be an urgent alert to all service providers to gear up to their statutory obligations to customers with disabilities".

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, June 30, 2006

A spokesman for Searsons said last night the pub had recently come under new ownership and it was intended to provide wheelchair-accessible toilets.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement