Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Probably because Madison feel they have dealt with the issue and don't want the waters muddied any further.

Yeah standard business decision. You only want the one message going out really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They should have just let him in and let him work out himself on how he was going to get in and out of the club in an emergency.

I feel that the chap and his mate knew exactly what was going to happen so decided to make an issue out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

P_1 wrote: »
    Interesting, seems the (former) worker on the radio said that the club has banned it's staff from commenting on the issue

Could be for any number of reasons though.. not just malice or in order to cover something up.

It's generally better not to comment publicly on professional (& potentially legal) matters unless you know exactly what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Exactly. Orestes I think you might be more qualified to speak on the matter (I think you mentioned earlier on this thread that you were in a wheelchair for a while).

On a practical level, if you were in a wheelchair would you want to spend time in a bar where you needed to be carried up a set of stairs when 1) you just wanted to get in, 2) you need to use the bathroom and 3) to leave when you're done?

I know I wouldn't.

We don't know what the bouncer in question said to the chap in the wheelchair but what we have here is the online equivalent of somebody yelling 'Fire' in a crowded cinema without seeing any smoke.

I was in a wheelchair for over two years after shattering my left femur and having to have bone from my tibia transplanted into it. It sucks, but there are just some places that you just can't go and some things you can't do. Even with the obvious health and safety stuff aside, I mean c'mon, you're in a wheelchair for crying out loud, be reasonable. You can't go into certain bars or clubs, but you can't go up the Leaning Tower of Pisa or play football either. Yeah, it sucks, but it's just a simple fact that you have to accept.

I was never once discriminated against whilst in a wheelchair, everyone I ever met who had to tell me there was somewhere I couldn't go or something I couldn't do was incredibly apologetic about it and genuinely felt terrible having to tell me. Seriously, you think anyone who works in hospitality is going to tell a disabled person or a cripple to just fukk off and that they aren't welcome?

What I find waaaaay more likely is that this guy got to the door and was told he couldn't go in and threw a tantrum and decided to show the bouncer who's boss and used peoples general bitterness towards bouncers to play a pity card.

That's why I said that based on my experiences having been in a wheelchair and having worked in the bar trade, this guy is just looking to stir up a sh1t-storm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Interesting, seems the (former) worker on the radio said that the club has banned it's staff from commenting on the issue
    michellie wrote: »

Going well! It sounds like the guy made a fuss over it for no reason. Who here hasn't been refused from a nightclub? A small number I'd say. And taht can be for no reason, this was probably health and safety, where do i sign up to sue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Going well! It sounds like the guy made a fuss over it for no reason. Who here hasn't been refused from a nightclub? A small number I'd say. And taht can be for no reason, this was probably health and safety, where do i sign up to sue?
    Hit the nail on the head. If you got refused entry to a club do you spend 45 minutes moaning etc to the bouncers, no you move on and take your custom elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Get yourself a wheelchair, pronto!

We'll pretend to be outraged and bombard the management of the establishment's FB page with hateful posts, forget about it instantly, go back to our lives without really giving a frak, but hey, we need to feel like we're helping because deep down we're the type who are just too lazy to give our time and effort to protest something that actual means something to us in a reasonable fashion.

Would this guy feel discriminated against because he couldn't enter a bus that wasn't wheelchair accessible? Nope, this is the same. Some places just aren't wheelchair accessible for various reasons.

Reading through the comments on that Facebook page just make me weep for how quickly people leap on to the bandwagon.

Also, nobody knows the bouncer's side, which we'll likely never know now that this backlash has started.

Would this guy feel discriminated against because he couldn't enter a bus that wasn't wheelchair accessible? Nope, this is the same. Some places just aren't wheelchair accessible for various reasons.

Reading through the comments on that Facebook page just make me weep for how quickly people leap on to the bandwagon.

Also, nobody knows the bouncer's side, which we'll likely never know now that this backlash has started.
    Well said. If that was me I would take my custom elsewhere and talk to management on Monday and as last resort talk to Joe Duffy not Facebook or Twitter. The amount of assholes commenting on Facebook is unreal and their comments are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Looking at some of the Facebook comments, it becomes clear that many people these days do not even use the cover of anonymity to protect their aggressive, posturing Internet ways. Really does make for mind-numbing reading. If the justice system or indeed society as a whole followed the same mob mentality... well, history shows us many examples of just such a thing, albeit in response to things on a grander scale than a mildly regrettable incident outside a nightclub.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Mindless idiots especially that lad who said they should go to the bouncers house. Lol the lad looks like he couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag.

Insane stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

orestes wrote: »
    What I find waaaaay more likely is that this guy got to the door and was told he couldn't go in and threw a tantrum and decided to show the bouncer who's boss and used peoples general bitterness towards bouncers to play a pity card.

Why is there a "general bitterness towards bouncers"? You think that just apppeared overnight for no reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Well if it was like that..

I've, certainly been refused a handful of times however it tends to be from being too jovial. Having had a few... actually, maybe that's more the reason and we tend to not be aware of that.. which can leave us dour faced and a mock-rumble ensues with the bouncers who restrain us and kick us up the jacksie in telling us to move on once-and-for-all, right?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

I dont understand Madison's apology,
    assuming logically he was refused on health & saftey grounds
    and the obvious fact that the place is down a flight of stairs,
    why are they issuing a grovelling apology as if they seriously wronged him?

I was more on the side of its some bitter chap who couldn't handle
    the fact he was refused entry until i read that.

Hit the nail on the head. If you got refused entry to a club do you spend 45 minutes moaning etc to the bouncers, no you move on and take your custom elsewhere.

not if people you've not seen in 10 yr+ are inside whom you've arranged to meet?! .. anyhoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

srm23 wrote: »

Mob doesn't want the H&S response.

not if people you've not seen in 10 yr+ are inside?! .. anyhoo.
    I doubt that was the story in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Why is there a "general bitterness towards bouncers"? You think that just apppeared overnight for no reason?

Hang on, was this whole thing a social experiment into peoples prejudices towards bouncers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Id love to have been there or to see a video of the actual incident with audio to hear how it was dealt with by the security. I can comment otherwise on the incident.

The statement from the club seems like they know this is a battle that they cant win and are taking a sensible stance of apologising profusely and accepting culpability whether or not they were at fault. If the security guard is agency the club cant fire him anyway but can make sure he doesn't work there again. He will most likely be moved to a different pub/club that the agency provides security for. I hope he doesn't lose his job anyway as that would be a very harsh outcome.

srm23 wrote: »

As I stated earlier Madison took the easy way out because of the mob mentality on social media especially from abroad as the story is now worldwide.

• Advertisement

I doubt that was the story in this case.

fair enough but we can linger if somebody we're with is still inside... albeit slightly bitterly.

fair enough but we can linger if somebody we're with is still inside... albeit slightly bitterly.
    True but it seems he did more than just linger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Id say that this whole thing is a viral type thing

in b4 "yeah its sick!"

or something..

hope someone tries this in coppers next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

As I stated earlier Madison took the easy way out because of the mob mentality on social media especially from abroad as the story is now worldwide.

Have Madison in their statement admitted they discriminated based on disability and have now left themselves open to a lawsuit?

• Advertisement

fullgas wrote: »
    Have Madison in their statement admitted they discriminated based on disability and have now left themselves open to a lawsuit?

I don't see that in their statement.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

saw him walking down Grafton street last week not a bother on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

IM0 wrote: »
    Id say that this whole thing is a viral type thing

I'd say the same.

Minor incident, public outcry, thousands remember the club exists or learn about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

Death to all bouncers, useless shower of morons

I see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Death to all bouncers, useless shower of morons

you seem nice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

you seem nice :confused:

He read the title and posted. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭The Road Runner

Your man should claim that it was all part of an elaborate social experiment.

Right. A study into how easy it is to rouse a mob into action on a morally dubious situation. How he can get thousands of people biting at the bit to get offended on his behalf, baying for blood believing they have righteousness on their side.

A very dangerous situation to be creating. And I believe he is creating it. Seems very savvy with the internet and social media. It's not unheard of for someone to spend the night seething over being refused entry to a club. And everyones been on a night out with someone who was refused entry and they don't shut up about it all night. Now throw the aspect of a minority victim into the equation and you will have a few people in the room pricking up their ears and getting involved telling him he should do something about it. This day and age, doing something about it, is gathering a mob on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Alactric wrote: »

How do u know 'he' is a he ya bloody sexist!

Death to all sexists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

Alactric wrote: »

Death to all internet psychologists. (and sexists)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

two sides to every story...just because you're in a wheelchair, it doesn't mean you can't be an arsehole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    If on the off chance we ever did slip while carrying him it would be are fault. We are not c1nts and will take responsibility for are actions. Some of the attitudes on this thread are shocking.
    I wonder would you accept responsibility? With mounting medical bills depending on the injury and the fact you can sue the establishment and more than likely win you'd really pay the thousands the injury might end up costing you?
    One comment:Didn't the NAZI's use the self defence that they were just following orders from Hitler???
    Experiments have shown that most people will do all kinds of unspeakable acts if their ordered to do so.
    I don't know about this particular guy but the only reason there are wheelchair accessible buses is because wheelchair users kicked up a fuss about it in the past. It is only right wheelchair users do make accessibility issues a public concern. If they don't the issues just get ignored for the trending public outcry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

If I didn't have arms, I might get upset that I couldn't play tennis, but I wouldn't try get Boris Becker banned and post on the Wimbledon tournament Facebook page crying discrimination. Guy's a douche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

This whole incident is probably working out in the nightclubs favour now....

Everybody know about Madison Nightclub now! Any publicity is good publicity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If I didn't have arms, I might get upset that I couldn't play tennis, but I wouldn't try get Boris Becker banned and post on the Wimbledon tournament Facebook page crying discrimination. Guy's a douche.

This post deserves an award for the biggest train wreck of an analogy in the history of analogies.
    I suppose you get some karma for the fact that it was 2:30AM though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There 's no justice like angry mob justice.

Dont know why the management didnt delete and turn off public comments on their FB page and then investigate properly.

Incidently, why did Wilde close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There 's no justice like angry mob justice.

Dont know why the management didnt delete and turn off public comments on their FB page and then investigate properly.

Incidently, why did Wilde close?

I think they marketed themselves as an upscale gay friendly venue but the demand for such a venue didn't materialise itself in the form of enough cash to make it a worthwhile investment

giftgrub wrote: »
    two sides to every story...just because you're in a wheelchair, it doesn't mean you can't be an arsehole...

oh, absolutely this is where we make a concession and you absolutely can be an arshole. To a degree...

I don't even know where we stand with this, should I rescind my thanks to the op? The logo mockup is kinda funny though, and I know marc is not biased. That's what we look for, in a friend to not be a friend regardless if you like... when it counts. An honest, unbiased, soberr point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The majority of people posting on the FB status strike me as being irrational and illiterate arseholes. You'd swear hitler himself had risen from the dead and was running the nightclub with the way some of them have been reacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DarkJager wrote: »
    The majority of people posting on the FB status strike me as being irrational and illiterate arseholes. You'd swear hitler himself had risen from the dead and was running the nightclub with the way some of them have been reacting.

Oh the nightclub is worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at 3 o'clock in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think they marketed themselves as an upscale gay friendly venue but the demand for such a venue didn't materialise itself in the form of enough cash to make it a worthwhile investment
    Not enough upmarket scenesters in Dublin? Petty, the cocktails were daycent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some parts of this are very strange, how come someone just happened to be around to take a picture of him outside the club.

If I was refused entry the first thing to come into my head wouldn't be " let's take a picture of me looking sad outside the club".

And what was he doing that he had "45 minutes of embarrassment", sure it only takes a few minutes at most to be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dddmac

Websites on, accessibility of venues, recommended by the Irish Wheelchair Association(IWA):

Disabled Go
    lol this website has got pretty much zero info on venues for wheelchair users in Ireland even though the IWA recommends it under their general FAQs!
    (IWA)

Smaller World
    Hmm Don't see Madison there.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

Why should Graham be treated differently just because he's in a wheelchair? Hundreds or people are refused entry to clubs/pubs every weekend.

Disgraceful that he got a man sacked over something so petty. The bouncer is the real victim in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

That's wheely bad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement